Thread: S54 in E36, With All the Electrics.

My Cars
    4 E36s, an E46 M3

S54 in E36, With All the Electrics.

I bought my first BMW, an E36 sedan, last fall. After driving it for a little while, my $400 E36 sedan was stripped and I'm building a Lemons Endurance car with it. To replace it as a daily, I bought an E46 M3. Well, I just sold that one after driving it for about 5k miles.

I honestly like the feel of the E36 chassis better than the E46 chassis, but I really like the feel of the S54, the 6 speed, and I like the extra features of the newer E46. So, I have just bought another rougher E46 M3 as well as an E36 M3.

So, I've got a complete running 2003 E46 M3 and a complete running 1996 E36 M3.

I am going to do a complete swap. So, not just the S54.

I want the Getrag 420g
    I want the E46 gauge cluster
    I want the E46 MK60 DSC system
    I want the E46 DME and OBD2 system
    I want the E46 key as well. I just kind of like it better.

So, while I have the complete E46 M3, I'll make sure it's in good running and working order with no problems. Then I'll start to strip it. I'll be pulling as many systems and wiring as I can to minimize the amount of wiring that I need to remake.

Overall, I plan to use as little from the E36 as possible when it comes to auxiliary systems on the car.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    Freakin' cool!

Right now, I can get away with relying on the E36 chassis as a cheap track and swap platform. But it won't last forever, as they just get too old and go the way of the E30. And then I'll need to deal with E46 CAN bus stuff. When that day comes, I will be happy to be able to follow in the footsteps of you guys, rather than starting from zero.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    4 E36s, an E46 M3
    I hope so man. I've been going over all the subsystems this weekend that I will need to work on.

Right now, the E46 M3 runs and drives, but I have a few small issues. Need to replace a wheel speed sensor, and I'd like to replace the key with a fully functional key that allows for keyless entry. The one I have doesn't work for that. It only works the locks/ignition tumblers. Since the E36 I have doesn't have keyless entry, it's not a huge deal if I don't get this sorted right away, but it's something that easier to fix now than in the middle of swap while half the shit works.

The E36 M3 also runs and drives. I've got some little things to solve/replace, like the door handles and locks. So, I'll probably pull some parts from my parts cars now to fix and then look into the modifications after when it comes to making the E46 keys work.

I've broken it down as follows, with some potential problems:

1. S54 Engine and accessories
    - Power Steering, no problems here. Might switch to the Z3M rack, not sure.
    - Alternator, no problems here.
    - Air conditioning compressor: Using the S54 A/C compressor is what I'd like to do so the DME can control it. But using the the E36 Condenser and Evaporator might change the way it operates so I'll need to compare the sizes of both to see how it might work differently.
    - Cooling: I'll be switching to a Mishimoto radiator that I have for an E36, so I'll be fine there for cooling capacity. Will be dropping the S54 fan and using only electric fans. It fits with the stock E36 fan shroud, so it still maintains the stock mounting dimensions. I need to check into the stock E36 sensor on the overflow tank and what's different between it and the Z3M one.

2. Drivetrain
    - Transmission: Will need to do the SMG -> Manual conversion because the E46 is an SMG car, but I'm not worried about that. I might do this before pulling everything from the E46, but I'm not sure. I know there's a bit of DME recoding needed, but I've got access to an Autologic so it's no big deal.
    - Driveshaft: Unknowing now. May have to shorten or lengthen it. No big deal though.
    - Differential: This, I think will be the hardest part of the conversion, because I can't use the E46 subframe in the E36 chassis. So, I'll be fabricating a tubular subframe to fit the E46 differential into the E36 chassis. This should be the only big custom piece to make the swap work. I have a few E36 chassis's to work with and borrow parts from so this will probably be the first thing that I start working on. Once this is done, everything else should basically be "bolt-on" in that sense. No major fab work after this.
    - Axles: I'm not sure currently what I'll need to do here. Once I get the E46 diff out and compare it to an E36 diff, I'll know what needs changing and if I'll need some custom axles.

3. Dynamic Stability Control: Just a Mk60 parts swap over, just not a standalone Mk60 DSC. Everything in the end should work with the DME. Maybe I do a standalone system first or something, I don't know.
    - Steering Angle Sensor: I assume that if people have done the Mk60 swaps with no trouble, this should work just fine as is.
    - Wheel sensors: It's an 03 E46 M3, so it's the right ones to bolt up to the E36 M3 spindles, if I have read correctly.
    - Brake Pressure sensors and brake master cylinder: I'm just going to use the E46 master cylinder/booster here I think.
    - Yaw sensor: no issues.

4. Key/locks: Kind of an "uh, I don't know"
    - Ignition tumbler: I don't know how much modification to the steering rack needs to happen for this, so it's kind of in a "we'll see" stage. But, I really want to use the E46 keys for the car.
    - Door/Trunk key tumblers: maybe this will work too? I know how all the E36 assemblies work, so I just have to pull the E46 ones and see what might fit or not fit and where. I'm sure it won't bolt up, but all I need it to do it align well enough to outside door skin and I should be able to make it work.

5. Fuel: Fuel pump and sending unit assemblies are the iffy bit here. I know most normal swaps say to just use a Walbro 255, but if I can make the E46 assemblies fit or even just get the sending units to swap somehow, then it solves the no fuel level problem without any extra work there. I know a lot of fuel pump sending unit assemblies are pretty similar and even standardized in sizes and stuff. I tried searching through the Internet to see if anyone has tried to put an E46 unit in an E36 and I found nothing, so I'll just try this and see.

6. Electrical/Electronics: Using all of the electronics from the E46 chassis seems like the best way to not have problems with anything in the gauge cluster not working. This is also why I want to use the E46 fuel sending unit and pump. I know gpeterson solved most of the problems related to using an E46 cluster in an E36 with his breakout board and other recoding, but I want to simplify it all. Ultimately, this car should show up on an Autologic diagnostic system as a 2003 E46 M3.
    - DME: This is on the opposite side of the engine bay, so it may just be an extend the wires problem. I'll need to find a good spot for the OBD2 port as well.
    - Gauge Cluster:It should fit with minor modification. I've got a couple E36 dashes to screw with/cut up.
    - DSC: See above.
    - Accelerator Pedal w/throttle position sensor: My guess is that I'll just have to create a custom mounting for it. No big deal. Unless it's the same as the E36, I guess we'll see.
    - E36 computer: So, I think I'll lose a lot of the functionality of this. In the end, I think it's not a big deal.
    - A/C controls: I think I'm going to try to maintain the E46 control stack for the A/C, but I first have to see if it will fit. It has most of the same control buttons and functionality to it. I can make a custom faceplate for it, I'm not worried about that.

7. Interior: So, the E36 M3 comes with cruise control, but it's the stalk on the right side, not integrated into the steering wheel. So, I've thought about using the E46 steering wheel, but then I know I might have trouble using the volume control buttons, so we'll have to see what functions work as what on the E36 stalk. I have no idea what I'll do here, but most likely it's going to be keeping the E36 stuff. I've even thought of using the E46 heated seats and stuff, but it really just doesn't fit the look of the E36 interior that well. I do want heated seats though, so I may look for a set of Vader heated seats. We're getting into aesthetics at this point though.
    Last edited by MisterBlah; 03-26-2018 at 04:36 AM.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    So, based on my experience, it would take me approximately three years to fit that swap into my life schedule. Maybe four. I'm notoriously slow. I just did a custom dual exhaust and it took me like four weekends to work it all in.

Will the rear wheel speed sensors from the E46 read off the E36 hubs? If so, can I talk you out of the rear subframe swap? It seems to me like the E36 can handle the new drivetrain and the stock M3 rear brakes should be up to the job. At least, I hope it can because my power targets on mine are 350 RWHP/400TQ. Or maybe just move the subframe job to the second draft of the car once the other work is done?
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    This is a huge undertaking of a swap! It's certainly feasible but one can get lost in the amount of details that needs to be worked on as well as the crazy amount of labor and time involved. In the end it'll be the sweetest E36 on the planet though.

My Cars
    4 E36s, an E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
    Will the rear wheel speed sensors from the E46 read off the E36 hubs? If so, can I talk you out of the rear subframe swap? It seems to me like the E36 can handle the new drivetrain and the stock M3 rear brakes should be up to the job. At least, I hope it can because my power targets on mine are 350 RWHP/400TQ. Or maybe just move the subframe job to the second draft of the car once the other work is done?
    Yeah, look into the Teves Mk60 DSC swaps for E36s. The rear wheel speed sensors should work just fine. At least, that's my understanding.

I could probably be talked out of the Diff swap for right now, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by M52 POWER! View Post
    This is a huge undertaking of a swap! It's certainly feasible but one can get lost in the amount of details that needs to be worked on as well as the crazy amount of labor and time involved. In the end it'll be the sweetest E36 on the planet though.
    It might be a huge undertaking, but it seems less daunting than the Audi 4.2 V8 swapped Porsche Boxster endurance racing car I just finished.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    any pictures of the cars?

My Cars
    4 E36s, an E46 M3
    I accidentally deleted my post when editing it, lol.

Anyway, here's pictures currently:

1996 E36 M3:
    IMG_20180327_124801184_HDR.jpg

2003 E46 M3:
    IMG_20180323_155405985_HDR.jpg

I've also just now realized that I may have some trouble with using the E46 key and fob. And this is specifically in relation to the VIN and vehicle registration. I need to get a second key for the E46, but the car is not registered and I do not have a title for it(previous owner was going to turn it into a race car and ditched the title in the process).

So, does anyone know how best to get a second key for an E46 BMW with only the VIN? I realize I will need to keep record of this VIN number as well to make sure I can hopefully always get a replacement key once the swap is actually finished.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54

My Cars
    4 E36s, an E46 M3
    That is much more my style! Thanks for the link! I'll give it a go here soon.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterBlah View Post
    That is much more my style! Thanks for the link! I'll give it a go here soon.
    Hey, did you happen to figure out the A/C using the s54 compressor? I currently have the e36 compressor and im realizing it probably isn’t working because of it being the wrong compressor. I’ve been having a hard time getting info on the s54 e36 with working ac.

I have the pwm module wired to the dme as well. Any help would be great! Thanks

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/A
    Best way to get your E36 ac compressor to work is a gauge cluster, z3 S54(extremely hard to find) or a cluster from a member on here.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeazz View Post
    Best way to get your E36 ac compressor to work is a gauge cluster, z3 S54(extremely hard to find) or a cluster from a member on here.
    I’m using the canbus from Andrew, i was hoping that would solve the cluster issues. I’m not sure if I just need the s54 compressor and then connect it to the dme

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/A
    There’s your problem, that can box doesn’t work

My Cars
    1997 328is
    There’s your problem, that can box doesn’t work
    I read the can board today with the help of Garry:

Temp:156
    snowflake:false
    evap:false (E30:false E36:false)
    CEL:true
    Fuel level:40
    clock:101-205
    fan:false
    oil level:false

Currently awaiting his response I will update when I hear back. Anybody else know if this means it’s not working correctly? Thanks

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/A
    A few of us used to run his box, never worked right. Switch to the cluster and all is good. That CAN box overheats and shuts itself down that’s why it’s not working correctly

My Cars
    1997 328is
    A few of us used to run his box, never worked right. Switch to the cluster and all is good. That CAN box overheats and shuts itself down that’s why it’s not working correctly
    Damn, I don’t think think it ever worked either. You mentioned people on here sell clusters? Is that the rare z s54 or is it different?

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/A
    PM busterhaux, It’s a modified Z3 cluster from an 2001-2002 Z3, those cluster has a CAN controller built into the cluster from the factory. All you have to do is run a few wires and your AC and check engine light will work like stock, and you’ll have the 9k tach

My Cars
    2008 BMW M5 SMGII
    I owned a high mileage e36 with an S54 swap a few years ago, and what a great car. The S54 is a beast in the e36's lighter body.