Thread: fuel cap and 'lid'

My Cars
    BMW 740i

fuel cap and 'lid'

hi, don't know what the exact name is, but the cap on my fueltank (where you put the nozzle in) doesn't have a lock. Neither does the 'lid' or 'door'. So, there is no lock on the system. Is that normal? Thanks in advance, regards, sopado

My Cars
    '95 740i
    The gas CAP the par that you twist on shouldn't have a lock. It should click though once it's tight enough. The gas FLAP/DOOR should have a locking mechanism so that when the car is moving or locked, it cannot be opened.

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The fuel filler flap (door) only locks when the car is double-locked (locked when using the remote key buttons...or when the driver's door is locked manually by inserting the key). When the car is "single-locked" the fuel filler flap remains unlocked. Single-lock occurs when you lock the vehicle using the central locking button on the center console, when you manually press the door lock pins down, or if you have the auto-lock feature coded on at a specific MPH. This is so that a fuel attendant can still fuel the vehicle while occupants inside can remain safe.

The fuel filler door flap has a lock actuator that is located in the trunk (above the battery). A bowden cable moves a few inches to lock the flap. The tip of this bowden cable is found on the left side of the fuel filler flap opening (when the flap is open).

If yours doesn't lock when the car is double-locked...check the central locking fuse in the trunk to see if it is in place or blown. Sometimes the actuator may have been unplugged from its electrical harness if it has failed...because it will prevent remote locking from occuring.

{fuel door locking bowden cable projects from the "tip" which can be seen on left side of opening in pic below...it is just above the half-circular stop that stops the fuel filler door from going too far inward...it is thrust into the "catch" seen on the adjoining edge of the opened fuel filler door flap}

{Below is a pic of the fuel flap actuator that has been dismounted and turned around where you can see it...it's still attached to its mounting bracket which hides it from view when you pull back the insulation above the battery (where it is located). The electrical harness is on the lower left and the locking rod is on the upper right & the bowden cable exits out the right side of the black mounting bracket}

Fuel filler flap locking actuatingi parts in the diagram below:
    • #12 = fuel flap actuator
    • #15 = mounting bracket
    • #20 = locking rod
    • #11 = fuel flap bowden cable
    • #28 = sleeve (the tip you see when you open the fuel filler flap door located on the left side of opening)

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-24-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)