Thread: 2jz E36 Swap Thread

My Cars
    1994 325is

2jz E36 Swap Thread

Figured id start up a thread since there's not a ton of info in one place for putting a 2jz into an E36.

Currently doing a bunch of maintenance to the motor before putting it in, as well as prepping the bay for a quick respray. Timing belt, cam seals, crank seal, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, rear main, rear sump sealed, ac delete, and xcessive motor mount brackets all installed. Now im just cleaning everything up and making sure all my lines are hooked up correctly before dropping in. Ill try to update this regularly with progress/problems. More active on instagram though, (@edirtyfour). Ill be using a ZF trans with collins adapter plate, and a wiring specialties harness. Plan is to use stock trans crossmember and driveshaft with a few mods. Motor will be stock on stock ecu for now.

IMG_3492.JPG IMG_3502.jpg

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    You must be from Austrailia.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    1994 325is
    For whatever reason bf.c always flips at least one of my images and will stay that way no matter how I rotate it and reupload it.

My Cars
    98 328is
    it was my understanding that a 1/2j with a zf required custom drive shaft and trans crossmemeber?

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    it was my understanding that a 1/2j with a zf required custom drive shaft and trans crossmemeber?
    That's what I thought too, but it seems like since the mounting points for cross member and length of driveshaft are only slightly too long (~2"), people have had luck cutting ~2" from the female section of driveshaft to essentially make it shorter, and simply adding a bracket/extension to the cross member to make the mounting points further rearward. 1jz and 2jz Swapped BMWs on FB has a lot of info on this.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Im in the group already. But its impossible to search fb groups.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    It does if you want your engine sitting nicely with enough room for a big radiator and intercooler.

engine sitting 2" forward is a lot. ask your ladies about 2 inches

edit: JZ's are hard to cool, note my engine sits far back and I still notched the rad support for radiator/fan space.
    Last edited by Press22; 03-26-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    1994 325is
    image1.jpg
    image2.jpg
    image3.jpg

Dropped in like it was made to be there, first start up as soon as my harness comes in.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    On sunday, I was drifting at RSD- one the guys there this time had a 2Jz e36. It was black, super clean, and a beastly power curve. The sounds it mad were amazing... Love seeing the progress on yours!

My Cars
    2016 BMW 328i
    JZ swapping is a fa future goal for me, but given how much I hear JZ-swapped 240s overheat do you think you'll see the same problem in an E36 as well?

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfaje View Post
    JZ swapping is a fa future goal for me, but given how much I hear JZ-swapped 240s overheat do you think you'll see the same problem in an E36 as well?
    From what I understand JZs run very hot, and are pretty hard to keep cool in any chassis, so I definitely don't think it'll be easy to keep it in decent temps but im sure its nothing I wont be able to fix. There's plenty of local guys running JZ so worst case maybe one of them will help out with a good setup. I'm going to run a MK3 supra mishimoto radiator and 16" spal puller to start, so we'll see how good that works once I get it running.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    image2 (1).jpgimage1 (1).jpgimage3 (1).jpg Small update to some, but it took over $1000 in parts just to be able to mount the ZF to the 2j. Big milestone on this build.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E36 Sedan
    engine sits a bit far in front, cant you move it more to the back ? Oilpan will noch clear the axle like this and you dont got much room to the watercooler

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by slothiC View Post
    engine sits a bit far in front, cant you move it more to the back ? Oilpan will noch clear the axle like this and you dont got much room to the watercooler
    Not sure what you mean by the oil pan clearing the axle... but yes, those pictures were just a mock-up. Still had plenty of room to move forward or back, trans wasn't mounted yet also.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Haven't updated in a while, got the motor fired up in the car, trans mounted, driveshaft mounted, wiring sorted, fuel, radiator, etc etc etc all taken care of. Just waiting on an intercooler setup and exhaust now. Final stretch! Getting excited, can't wait for the first drive. Instagram is @justinmarek_

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Put a good amount of miles on it so far, and it was absolutely worth every penny. So much fun. Thing pulls like a freight train, stock boost with the twins is really nice. All it needs now is a proper exhaust, a good nut and bolt check, and i'm ready for the event on the 28th!