Thread: Rear Window Folding Question

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3

Rear Window Folding Question

Hey Z3 Gurus,

I have an electric convertible top, and when I am opening the top I notice that the rear window does not bend in the right spot unless I stop it halfway, get out of the car and give it the ol' karate chop in the middle of the window. Is this necessary to do or it really doesn't matter as the window will be just fine whether I chop it or not. Any trick that I can do while inside the car so that the rear window bends in the right spot while opening the top?

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I always stop part way get out and smooth the window crease and put a rolled up towel at the fold and finish lowering the top.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8L/2003 530i
    I place a swim noodle when I put the top down. I have it rapped in a beach towel,cut to length. I do this in hopes of decreasing folds and scratches on the plastic window.It seems to help.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Many of the scratches come from the floor of the top well and are on the inside of the back window. Make sure you keep the well clean.

No issues with the window not folding correctly though.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2007 Z4///MC
    I've got one of those soft BMW blanket things that's supposed to fit on the window, (just replaced it) but I have no clue how it's supposed to fit on there??? Anyone have any idea how it's supposed to fit?

- - - Updated - - -

I've got one of those soft BMW blanket things that's supposed to fit on the window, (just replaced it) but I have no clue how it's supposed to fit on there??? Anyone have any idea how it's supposed to fit?

RWG_30.jpg

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    When I first fitted a replacement window it refused to fold correctly.
    I resorted to using a pool noodle and laying this inside the bend prior to colsing fully.
    After about a month I noticed that the window had developed a perfect contor down across the center and now folds correctly.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    Hopefully the pool noodle with 'train' my top to fold correctly. It seems pointless to have an electric top and have to get out each time to ensure that it folds down correctly. Kind of defeats the purpose.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    Many of the scratches come from the floor of the top well and are on the inside of the back window. Make sure you keep the well clean.

No issues with the window not folding correctly though.
    Also rubs on the lower stepped-edge of the bulkhead divider; I have kept a rolled up towel there__both Rdstrs__forever, like since before we even got the '01.

I'm not as religious about the blanket as I used to be, I do however always fit it before putting the hdtp on, along with a piece of foam pipe insulation__the pool-noodle's skinnier cousin__and Vanne, the clips on the ends of the elastic straps hook to the top bows on each side.

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3 Pistachio

window

I disabled my motor and now raise and lower mine manually so that I can watch and manipulate the window.

QUOTE=z3aficionado;29982326]Hey Z3 Gurus,

I have an electric convertible top, and when I am opening the top I notice that the rear window does not bend in the right spot unless I stop it halfway, get out of the car and give it the ol' karate chop in the middle of the window. Is this necessary to do or it really doesn't matter as the window will be just fine whether I chop it or not. Any trick that I can do while inside the car so that the rear window bends in the right spot while opening the top?[/QUOTE]

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    [QUOTE=lil z3;29982693]I disabled my motor and now raise and lower mine manually so that I can watch and manipulate the window.

How did you disable the motor?

My Cars
    z3
    Go in the trund and look behind the carpet on the driver's side, there is a hydraulic motor for the top. Rotate the T-handle on the motor to allow the hydraulic fluid to bypass the motor and function as a manual top.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2007 Z4///MC
    Thanks Randy, got it