Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy crap 500 hp Z3 Roadster.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.

Holy crap 500 hp Z3 Roadster.

https://columbusga.craigslist.org/ct...538584864.html

Do you think this can turn in a corner and still keep the tires on the ground?
    I assume the nitros is more of a drag strip tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8
    At least it is the aluminum block LS-1, not a cast iron block. May not be too front heavy.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Where have you guys been? The LS motor is lighter and lower CG than any of the BMW 6s in this platform.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Where have you guys been? The LS motor is lighter and lower CG than any of the BMW 6s in this platform.
    And the weight is further back without the huge iron block I6 sticking way out in front of the front wheels. Check out any of the E36-LS corner weight threads. Corner weight gets better.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
    And the weight is further back without the huge iron block I6 sticking way out in front of the front wheels. Check out any of the E36-LS corner weight threads. Corner weight gets better.
    And the T56 is heavier, putting even more weight near the middle of the chassis. Overall, a win.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    With trans, rearend and everything included?
    Are you really sure.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    There are no iron I6 block in any (non-M) Z3?

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    It was in an issue of Bimmer mag that the Dinan ISR-3 was originally in the 450-500HP area (I dont remember the exact number I'll look it up) but it was tuned down to the 410HP for the rear end being uncontrollable; and Steve felt it was not responsible to release to the public. --So if this thing is on OE suspension its a death tap. lol
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    There are no iron I6 block in any (non-M) Z3?
    And how much does the Z3M's handling suffer due to all of the additional weight up front vs. the non-M?

My Cars
    z3
    Particularly when paired with the bigger transmissioms, most LS swaps end up weighing a little more, but the weight ends up more in the middle, and the engines can be made to sit pretty far back too. So the weight may increase, but in a way that isn't completely detrimental to handling. Id love an LS swap personally

My Cars
    1998 BMW M Roadster
    I'd want to look at that rear diff mount... ;-)

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    And how much does the Z3M's handling suffer due to all of the additional weight up front vs. the non-M?
    The engine is mostly behind the front axles in all versions of the Z3, that's why the hood is so long. They all have a nearly 50/50 weight distribution too.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    So lets clear out some misinformation. You will be within 100 or 200 pounds higher or lower net of a OEM z3 or z3m depending on the build. The corner weighting changes very little and in my case improved. The car does not materially change it's driving characteristics other than you must pay attention to throttle application. No different than a supercharged OEM motor. My all track 1999 Z3M weighs under 2700 pounds. It has a LS2 out of a 06GTO, and a Jerico 4 speed tranny. I would be faster if I spent more time on the track and more money on suspension. The TCK DA set on this car is now over 15yrs old. Never rebuilt. As it is, the car is reasonably competitive in NASA time trial. As for rear end. If you drive it right, there is no issue if you have a reinforcement plan. I rip things up a bit more because I chose a more aggressive track only set up. There is zero give in the drive line. ALL solid mounts, solid clutch hub and flywheel, and to add fuel to the fire, a dog ring Jerico transmission. The shock to the back end is extreme to say the least on some shifts. Especially if I miss on the rev match a bit. This is evident by the shattered pinon gear now sitting at Metric Mechanic as they put together a new rear end for me. But I go through more tranny parts than anything. My build is now 9 years old I think. A v8 swap into a z3 is a very fun rewarding project. Very easy to do to a track only car. Much harder to do right on a street car.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    The engine is mostly behind the front axles in all versions of the Z3, that's why the hood is so long. They all have a nearly 50/50 weight distribution too.

I'm seeing 2 cylinders in front of the wheel centerline.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    With the LS the most forward cylinder is pretty much in the Center line with the strut tower.

Other than pushing the weight rearward I’m sure it would also lower the CG. The LS doesn’t have much mass up top and sits really low in the engine bay.

I’m not a huge LS fan even tho I’m swapping one in. It’s just a easy swap and hard to beat bang for buck.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
    With the LS the most forward cylinder is pretty much in the Center line with the strut tower.

Other than pushing the weight rearward I’m sure it would also lower the CG. The LS doesn’t have much mass up top and sits really low in the engine bay.

I’m not a huge LS fan even tho I’m swapping one in. It’s just a easy swap and hard to beat bang for buck.
    Also not an LS fanboy, but it's absolutely the best combination of power per $, power per exterior engine volume, and power per pound of engine if you're looking for something in the 400-1500+hp range.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster
    I keep going back and forth between a supercharger and an ls swap. The only thing I don't like about an ls is the exhaust note.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    I agree about the exhaust note. Some corvettes with cams sound really good. And other cars sound like a 72 chevelle

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    My all track 1999 Z3M weighs under 2700 pounds.
    Mine is 1220Kg aka 2690lbs with low fuel amount.
    But I have street car with all the goodies and about 30kg of hifi.

Must be fun car with the bigger V8.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Can you use E36 6-speed and stock axle and rear end with LS engine?
    I know many local turbo BMW's with between 600-1200hp, and the gearbox eats it nicely even with abuse.

I might be interested in LS engine somewhere in distant future, can you make that engine rev high up cheaply?

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    Can you use E36 6-speed and stock axle and rear end with LS engine?
    The E36 M3 diff is good for 600+ hp.

It would be a lot of work to mate the BMW gearbox with the LS engine, for no real gain. The T56 that bolts right up to the engine is proven, strong, and can be easily built and rebuilt fairly cheaply. Adapting a different transmission means dealing with the flywheel, clutch, throwout mechanism, starter, bellhousing adapter plate, and more. Just to throw out a wild-ass guess, I'd say $2000 before you're done with it. Or you could just buy a $250 driveshaft and use the T56.

I might be interested in LS engine somewhere in distant future, can you make that engine rev high up cheaply?
    Yes, but there's no point. You can destroke an LS3 with a factory 4.8L crank and make 607hp at 7900rpm.

Or you could go the other direction and stroke an LS3 and make 608hp at 6300rpm. The difference is that for the same engine weight and total engine volume (the space it takes up in the engine bay), the stroker is making 100 more ft-lb of torque, making it 1000rpm lower, and everything happens without needing to wind the engine way up to the stratosphere and deal with the valvetrain issues, load, and wear that happens up there.

Unless you are racing in a class that limits your displacement, there is no advantage to losing displacement to rev higher. Maybe it would be good in a show car if you really want to brag about your tach redline to impress people that don't know anything?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tistan View Post
    I keep going back and forth between a supercharger and an ls swap. The only thing I don't like about an ls is the exhaust note.
    H-pipe, X-pipe, chambered mufflers, resonators, equal length headers, 180-degree headers - you can make a V8 sound like anything you want.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster

H-pipe, X-pipe, chambered mufflers, resonators, equal length headers, 180-degree headers - you can make a V8 sound like anything you want.
    Not true. I've had ls engines and even with an x pipe and more exotic mufflers it still sounds like a bubba truck. Maybe with 180 degree headers they would sound ok, but I suspect it would be very hard to fit them in anything other than a truck or a rear engine kit car.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    I get at least 2 or 3 visitors per event coming to see the car because "it sounds so good". My ears damn near bleed every time out, and there are a lot of bangs a gear whine added to the no muffler notes of the motor. But that really is part of the fun of FrankenCoupe. I do take passengers out from time to time. It's always entertaining to see their reactions. Its a very raw experience that more closely resembles something from the 60s vs the quality builds of today. But I am old and this serves my taste quite well.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    E90M3
    I've been debating the LS swap for some time. My only gripe is I hate the T56 trans (price wise, gearing, and rebuilt cost). Contrary to popular belief, its not as strong as people make it out to be. Using a BMW 5 speed or 6 speed would be ideal in my opinion, plus there's plenty of rear end gear choices to compensate for the short bmw gears. I've been chatting with PMC and they seem to have a promising product for just this application: http://www.pmcmotorsport.com/gegearb...w-m50-m57.html

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kondata View Post
    I've been debating the LS swap for some time. My only gripe is I hate the T56 trans (price wise, gearing, and rebuilt cost). Contrary to popular belief, its not as strong as people make it out to be. Using a BMW 5 speed or 6 speed would be ideal in my opinion, plus there's plenty of rear end gear choices to compensate for the short bmw gears. I've been chatting with PMC and they seem to have a promising product for just this application: http://www.pmcmotorsport.com/gegearb...w-m50-m57.html
    Interesting - looks like you can pick up a 420G from a 540i for under $500 all day long. Wikipedia says they were designed for ~380ft-lb, the internet says they're good for 1000hp in Supras. Any idea what the stock 540i gearset can do? The internet also says that they're basically non-serviceable. But at $500 a pop you can just grab a few?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast