Thread: Wanting to swap my '89 E30

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i

Wanting to swap my '89 E30

Hey everyone, I'm not new to bimmerforums, well, technically yeah but I've been browsing for about a year, since I had my old (now-sold) E46.

Recently, I decided to finally set out and purchase my dream car, a BMW E30. Since I began my search for the right priced and good quality E30, I came across the legend of the LS1 E30, and it definitely peaked my interest. However, the total cost of the LS1 swap into an E30 is between $5,000-$8,000, which is nice, but unfortunately way way way too expensive for me. The E30 is a great car, however the engine has no umph. No power, it struggles to pick speeds up, and although its a sweet ride, I, in all simplicity, wanna make it fast. I'm shooting for ~300hp, but any more wouldn't hurt.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: YES, before anyone asks, I have already read this -> https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ing-Start-Here!

However, I just want a few more opinions and suggestions.
    Last edited by andrew214; 03-22-2018 at 03:09 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    swap in a cammed S52... cheap and very fun
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    M/S52 e30 is definitely fun. Not the fastest thing on the planet but it will definitely surprise people. If you want more after that, i'd slap a turbo on it and destroy almost everyone on the road. This will give you an idea of the type of performance you'll get out of one. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=e30+s52+vs

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    Very cool chassis. Worth the work, in my book, to keep it from rusting away, and the extra time hunting for decent used parts.

Great handling but they are starting to get a little flexy due to age. Sounds like you're more of a straight-line-speed guy anyway so no huge issues there.

Ford 302 w/ a T5 can be done on the cheap but it's hard to get 300 RWHP on the junkyard GT40p heads and Explorer intake, which means aftermarket top end stuff and that eats into the budget.

So, sounds like a 24 valve motor out of an E36 and a turbo to me. There is plenty of internet coverage on the process for getting the drivetrain swapped in, and a fair amount of info about turbo fabrication and ECU changes to support it. In the end you might not be able to get any more HP than the budget Ford 302, but it will still be an easier fit dealing with the exhaust & steering column and the transmission & driveshaft.

I would also cruise a few junkyards to snag an extra pair of E30 rear half-shafts and a differential cover, if I could get them on the cheap. You are probably getting into the upper end of their strength, and you might have a couple random failures until you luck upon the ones that are still in great shape. But fear of a little breakage wouldn't keep me from plowing ahead.

The only reason I'm not in that business myself is, I'm already trying to keep 2 motor-swapped '79 3 series and '94 3 series from falling apart as a result of regular serious abuse at the track. The E36 is an easier platform for the higher horsepower swaps, but GOD it strikes me as ugly.
    Last edited by JBasham; 03-23-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BigC986 View Post
    M/S52 e30 is definitely fun. Not the fastest thing on the planet but it will definitely surprise people. If you want more after that, i'd slap a turbo on it and destroy almost everyone on the road. This will give you an idea of the type of performance you'll get out of one. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=e30+s52+vs
    This definitely looks fun. The thing is, I'm just afraid of the BMW engines and the issues that come with it. It also caps at... 241hp? If I'm not mistaken? This would probably be something I would consider, however I was looking more at swapping a non-BMW engine into my e30 to avoid the possible issues that come with BMW engines. Those videos are sick too, btw.

UPDATE: After browsing around for S52s, I saw that there wasn't too big of a price difference between the S52 and S54, it's around an $800 difference, with about a 120hp difference. So, if I decide to swap in a BMW engine it'd definitely be the S54.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    Don't be afraid of BMW engines, man! They will stand up to hours of heavy RPM, no problem. You just can't try to run them without coolant. Well, I guess the S54 would probably need bearings, but you'll have the motor out anyway.
    Last edited by JBasham; 03-23-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew214 View Post
    This definitely looks fun. The thing is, I'm just afraid of the BMW engines and the issues that come with it. It also caps at... 241hp? If I'm not mistaken? This would probably be something I would consider, however I was looking more at swapping a non-BMW engine into my e30 to avoid the possible issues that come with BMW engines. Those videos are sick too, btw.

UPDATE: After browsing around for S52s, I saw that there wasn't too big of a price difference between the S52 and S54, it's around an $800 difference, with about a 120hp difference. So, if I decide to swap in a BMW engine it'd definitely be the S54.
    Bmw I6 motors are typically bullet proof. There plenty of M/S series motors running around with over 200k with no problems. Only thing they ever had a issue with was the plastic water pump housing that can be changed out for a metal one for like $30 bucks. s54's are defintiely more expensive due to the fact of them being 'true' M engines vs s52's being glorified m52's vs using the real euro s50b30/b32. People get the misconception that bmw motors suck when in realty most people neglect/dog them and then wonder why they break.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i
    I'm leaning more towards a non-BMW engine, although having an S52/S54 sounds great because a BMW should push a BMW engine, however I just want more power than that, which is why I have the affinity for the LS1. Ford 5.0 would be nice but its too heavy.