RM European Auto Parts

Thread: windshield washer

My Cars
    09 x3

windshield washer

windshield washers on this car ...09 x3 .... don't work. motor pumps don't hum or make any indication that they are getting signal, power , or are alive at all. no fluid comes out of anywhere . I have not looked at fuses or tried to diagnose anything at all yet. just asking if this is common or one of those " they all do that and the problem is usually ... " deals.

My Cars
    '91 M5, '13 E92, '89 E32
    I've had problems with the windshield washers in nearly every BMW I've owned. The stupid pumps rust from the inside and seize up, and/or the plastic tubing that feeds the squirt nozzles hardens with heat and shatters like glass. I've also had a coupe of nozzles become clogged, but that was easy to remedy by removing them and soaking them in CLR.
    1989 750iL schwarz/schwarz
    1991 M5 schwarz/silbergrau
    2013 328i coupe diamondschwarz/caramel
    2003 525iT orient blue/tan
    1990 535i/5 schwarz/schwarz

My Cars
    09 x3
    understood. this sat around for a while. ill bet their seized up... fortunately they are easy to get out. thx.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Steve, my friend....put a test light into each plug, and see if it lights up when you pull the stalk.. . I know you knew that.

Chances are very good that the motors are bad, but we have to check first, don't we? By the way, always buy a new grommet for the pumps, when you replace them.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    09 x3
    that was todays plan. I tried putting them under my pillow but the washer fairy was off duty ...

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by stvsxm View Post
    that was todays plan. I tried putting them under my pillow but the washer fairy was off duty ...
    Can we say that here?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    09 x3
    motors tested and they are dead as predicted... now need washer motor funeral fairy...

My Cars
    09 x3
    just an update... I bought pumps this morning off ebay ... the prices range from 6 $ each to 60 $ each and they all look identical. the 60 $ ones that claim to be oem have the same part number and manufacturer data as the 6 $ ones and the guy with the 6 $ ones had 400 happy customers... so I figured , "what the hell " so I bought 4 of them and they are on the way. will report back if they are complete junk or serviceable... as someone famous once said " how bad can they really be ? " and its not like they are crank sensors or something.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Can we say that here?
    As long as we're talking about tiny winged menehunes, I think we're okay.

Too many words seem to be becoming politically incorrect these days.....they used to be good words...... like "President", for instance. That used to me the leader of a Country....now it's like a freaking firing fairy. (What goes around, comes around).

Yeah, I know....take it to a different forum. Sorry, it was something to do with watching my words while some orange Twit Tweets Twats.

I'm in trouble now. But you gotta admit, the alliteration was fun.....

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    '91 M5, '13 E92, '89 E32
    I just installed a cheapie Uro washer pump from rockauto on my M5. It works just fine! The only question is how long it will continue to do so, but it's not like the OEM pumps are all that great to begin with.
    1989 750iL schwarz/schwarz
    1991 M5 schwarz/silbergrau
    2013 328i coupe diamondschwarz/caramel
    2003 525iT orient blue/tan
    1990 535i/5 schwarz/schwarz

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Eeeeewwwww ! You put a URO part on an E34 M5? You know that's sacrilege, right? The Bavarian elves will haunt you for as long as that part stays on your car.....your very special, HANDMADE car. Did you know that the E34 M5 was the last handmade production BMW ?

Sure, throw cheap washer pumps at the E32, or the '09 X3.......but NOT the M5 !

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    09 x3
    I thought I felt a ripple in the force...

My Cars
    BMW
    Windshield repair is way a lot in common. not like automotive windows, the windscreen is created from laminated windscreen glass. glass doesn't disintegrate like tempered glass.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by biasvoltage View Post
    I just installed a cheapie Uro washer pump from rockauto on my M5. It works just fine! The only question is how long it will continue to do so, but it's not like the OEM pumps are all that great to begin with.
    I cringe at the thought of URO(trash) on my car but a washer pump, that can be swapped out in 5 minutes and has zero real consequences when it fails, who cares.
    Having said that every time I think to myself "even URO couldn't f this up" they do.
    Good luck

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by AffordWind View Post
    Windshield repair is way a lot in common. not like automotive windows, the windscreen is created from laminated windscreen glass. glass doesn't disintegrate like tempered glass.
    Huh? What?

The ripple in the force must be increasing......that URO washer motor just infected the windshield.....turned it from laminated to toughened glass.....it's going to blow! EVERYONE RUN !!!!

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Can we say that here?
    You can say anything you like, although you may not like the affect.

If anyone has issues with how the forum is moderated, send a PM to the moderator in question. Or a different mod if that suits your comfort level. This is policy to which we all agreed when joining the forum.

See RULES at the top of each and every page on this site for clarification.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    You can say anything you like, although you may not like the affect.

If anyone has issues with how the forum is moderated, send a PM to the moderator in question. Or a different mod if that suits your comfort level. This is policy to which we all agreed when joining the forum.

See RULES at the top of each and every page on this site for clarification.
    Easy, Chopper.