Thread: 2011 BMW 328ix - 76000K - possible purchase - has check control light - need advice

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325

2011 BMW 328ix - 76000K - possible purchase - has check control light - need advice

Hello E90 community.

I usually partake in the E30 and E46 sections as I own several BMWs (It a disease.)

I am new to the "modern" E90 and I have a few questions - I recently was going to purchase a 2011 BMW E90 (WBAPK7G56BNN78190) 328xi and during the final inspection I get this:

BMW 328i check.jpg

I had driven it a week earlier with no light but since this was up - I checked the Owner's manual and it stated this:

IMAG5313 (2).jpg

it refers to Brakes lights, Fuel supply malfunctioning, and/or Drive unit malfunctioning. The main problem with this is that 2 of the 3 causes are major and 1 of those is minor – We took a look at the brake lights when the warning light was on – but they were all lit up..

So - I didn't finish signing the paperwork - but am concerned they may not want to fix the issue. I'm not sure how to search on this as I don't have a code or a specific phrase. Can anybody point me in the right direction - or should I just stay away from this car with this check light issue?

My Cars
    17 330i Touring M-sport
    Buying a car with a CEL on is like marrying someone you always argue with. If the warning signs are there before you sign the papers, why sign the papers?

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    It's not a Service Engine Soon (also know as Check Engine Light). This particular warning symbol is more of a "service due" or "inspection due" light.

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post
    It's not a Service Engine Soon (also know as Check Engine Light). This particular warning symbol is more of a "service due" or "inspection due" light.
    Hmmm - thats interesting - Im trying to reconcile that statement with the owners manual as well as the bentley manual's list of codes..

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...90+E91+E92+E93

The symbol of the car on the hoist seems to indicate a failure (or malfunction noted) - I understand it may not be engine related (service engine soon) but drivetrain, fuel or brake (weird combo btw) that needs to be repaired no just serviced - or are you stating "service" means replacing or repairing as opposed to checking parameters i.e service intervals?

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    floydr is correct. Read your owner's manual, which if you don't have, you can download from BMW.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by 95BMWIC View Post
    Hmmm - thats interesting - Im trying to reconcile that statement with the owners manual as well as the bentley manual's list of codes..

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...90+E91+E92+E93

The symbol of the car on the hoist seems to indicate a failure (or malfunction noted) - I understand it may not be engine related (service engine soon) but drivetrain, fuel or brake (weird combo btw) that needs to be repaired no just serviced - or are you stating "service" means replacing or repairing as opposed to checking parameters i.e service intervals?
    The CEL/SES indicates an engine or emissions control system fault that is causing excessive emissions. All I'm saying is that it's not that. In a few threads, it has indicated that a government-defined inspection/DOT period has expired and you need a state inspection. I've never seen the other text you mentioned (iDrive, brakes, fuel system.) A brake fault will light the brake system fault, AFAIK. A fuel system fault usually results in a CEL/SES.

What does the Check Control Message associated with this say? Use the control stalk to bring it up (or possibly iDrive.) Note that it's Yellow, not Red, which indicates a non-critical problem.

I responded partly because the other poster assumed it was a CEL/SES (it's obviously not.) In many states/jurisdictions, it's illegal to sell a car with an CEL/SES lit. That doesn't apply here, but I would still demand that they be fully explained. It doesn't appear that you had a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) done by a third party, which would have probably explained what's wrong.
    Last edited by floydr; 03-22-2018 at 07:56 PM.

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
    floydr is correct. Read your owner's manual, which if you don't have, you can download from BMW.

Help me I'm super confused now - I posted 2 pics in my posting - one from the middle of the gauges that showed me a pic of the warning symbol and the other one from the BMW Owners manual that states it could be one of those 3 things?

So I'm not really disagreeing with Floydr - just presenting what I see and what the owners manual states.

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    The CEL/SES indicates an engine or emissions control system fault that is causing excessive emissions. All I'm saying is that it's not that. In a few threads, it has indicated that a government-defined inspection/DOT period has expired and you need a state inspection. I've never seen the other text you mentioned (iDrive, brakes, fuel system.) A brake fault will light the brake system fault, AFAIK. A fuel system fault usually results in a CEL/SES.

What does the Check Control Message associated with this say? Use the control stalk to bring it up (or possibly iDrive.) Note that it's Yellow, not Red, which indicates a non-critical problem.

I responded partly because the other poster assumed it was a CEL/SES (it's obviously not.) In many states/jurisdictions, it's illegal to sell a car with an CEL/SES lit. That doesn't apply here, but I would still demand that they be fully explained. It doesn't appear that you had a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) done by a third party, which would have probably explained what's wrong.
    Yeah that makes sense - I understood what you were saying- Service Engine soon vs Check control. I did exactly that to read check control - stalk. The weird part is that the Owners manual states to look for symbols different colors (red and yellow) and points me to page 2xx and notes exactly what I took a pic of - which seemed a bit more alarming then what a check control would imply to convey (to your point).. So that's the reason for the posting. The Check Control process (dial indicator 1 flipped to check control - stalk pushed and I get this pic) It is exactly what the pic shows. The manual tells me to goto page 2XX and that the pic I took. (I know I am just repeating posting #1)

I surely understand I could pay BMW to tell me what it is - but honestly - what fun is that when I have a forum at my fingertips?

I haven't ruled out a PPI - I put it up on the hoist, checked all suspension, tires, leaks test drove - and no engine codes. When we came back a week later to set up the deal this light popped up. And here I am..

I'm just thinking through your answers - Can you not see my pics?
    Last edited by 95BMWIC; 03-22-2018 at 09:42 PM.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    I can certainly see your two pictures, but the page of the text is not the "check control" message. The small yellow triangle with the exclamation point says you have check messages to display. You haven't posted a picture of those messages - which you use the stalk to scroll to. The text page is useless.

My Cars
    17 330i Touring M-sport
    And again - with all the other E9x cars out there for sale, why bother with this specific car that has already been shown to have issues? CEL, CCM, whatever. If a car has idiot lights blazing away during a test drive, run in the other direction or really beat the seller up on the price. And by "beat the seller up" I am talking in the thousands, because that's what fixing it could cost you.

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    I can certainly see your two pictures, but the page of the text is not the "check control" message. The small yellow triangle with the exclamation point says you have check messages to display. You haven't posted a picture of those messages - which you use the stalk to scroll to. The text page is useless.
    Right - This may be a communication issue (my wording) -as I am not familiar with this model.

Here is what I read in the owners manual at the dealership (pics attached).

check or warning.jpg

and then this

IMAG5314.jpg

So maybe when I went through the "check control" process it didn't have anything - BUT I also had a symbol that indicated (whatever #1) is called.. ? The owners manual may have differentiated the two processes - don't know - didn't catch if it did..

Regardless - I have a symbol in the #1 space of the gauge cluster - What term should I use for that symbol? Not check control but what? - What do I call that indicator light? Indicator light? (from what you are stating - is not from the Check control and not a Service Engine soon).

I appreciate you all taking the time to educate - as I am probably going to purchase this model (the E90) and need to familiarize myself with all the warnings..

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Quote Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
    And again - with all the other E9x cars out there for sale, why bother with this specific car that has already been shown to have issues? CEL, CCM, whatever. If a car has idiot lights blazing away during a test drive, run in the other direction or really beat the seller up on the price. And by "beat the seller up" I am talking in the thousands, because that's what fixing it could cost you.
    So true Dan - I did get a call that the sent the vehicle to BMW - so I am going to ask for a PPI while they have it. If its serious they should be able to pinpoint.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    I suggest you download the appropriate manual from bmwusa.com.
    The manual is often "opaque" because the writers were Germans and they wrote for Europeans using concepts and such that have little USA relevance.
    Also, call up the BMW "Genius" at the local dealership and ask them questions (if the car is at a dealership that's easy to schedule.) They are supposedly experts at explaining these details.

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    As I was scheduling the PPI with BMW - the service coordinator mentioned that they were looking into a "battery discharge" issue? - I mentioned what the owners manual states - he told me the tech would look into it.

They will get back to me this afternoon..

PPI = $160 - just to share - probably well worth it..

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Also - Thank you for the input - This helps me immensely - the car is for my son - so I'm trying to learn everything here on the fly..