Thread: Roll Bar ... good handling mod?

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i

Roll Bar ... good handling mod?

So I've been doing some reading on the Hard dog roll bar for my 98 Z3M. (Seems like it's the only one available). I already disabled my power top, so that's not an issue. I read here that it improves the stiffness and handling a lot. If so, it seems like a good handling mod, with a benefit of more safety. Why doesn't everyone with an interest in handling have one? Anything I'm missing here?

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    I was looking at one until I found out it does not work with hard top. That was my decision maker. Luckily one of the members was selling used HMS bar. I snatched it from him before anyone else did. Haven’t had the opportunity to install it yet.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    While there are haters that will have you believe duct taping the headlights together will stiffen the chassis, in reality there is one inherent weak point in any convertible. The area with no triangulation, the area between the A and B pillars, the door openings. Draping aluminum trinkets between the front shock towers isn't going to help this. Neither, in my opinion, will adding a narrow based roll bar to arguably the strongest part of the chassis. From this, I'd say there will be minimal improvement, if any. It will take a full cage to make a major difference.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    While there are haters that will have you believe duct taping the headlights together will stiffen the chassis, in reality there is one inherent weak point in any convertible. The area with no triangulation, the area between the A and B pillars, the door openings. Draping aluminum trinkets between the front shock towers isn't going to help this. Neither, in my opinion, will adding a narrow based roll bar to arguably the strongest part of the chassis. From this, I'd say there will be minimal improvement, if any. It will take a full cage to make a major difference.
    What about full body brace from strong-strut? I am sure it would help. But with added weight

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    My roadster used to have the "butt-strut" and "body brace" from Strong Strut. Removed them, absolutely zero difference. All you're doing is adding unnecessary weight and reducing ground clearance. My roadster also happens to have an HMS rollbar. Made absolutely zero difference as far as handling and chassis flex. Anything you feel from these additions is simply placebo. I wanted the rollbar for looks. If you want something stiffer, buy a coupe. That's what I did.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I have noticed no discernible difference with the Hard Dog roll bar. At the moment, it's only a mod that looks kinda cool.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    I guess getting back to basics. Roll bar is not for stiffening up the car, but to save ones head in case of rollover. I guess just take it for what it is. If planning on tracking the car, some clubs might require it and hoops are not enough. Then there are some clubs who won’t allow roadster on the track unless you have full cage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tim95M3 View Post
    My roadster used to have the "butt-strut" and "body brace" from Strong Strut. Removed them, absolutely zero difference. All you're doing is adding unnecessary weight and reducing ground clearance. My roadster also happens to have an HMS rollbar. Made absolutely zero difference as far as handling and chassis flex. Anything you feel from these additions is simply placebo. I wanted the rollbar for looks. If you want something stiffer, buy a coupe. That's what I did.
    That is disappointing, because my 2001 Z3M came with body brace, so I wouldn’t know any better. Just picked it up before winter and haven’t put in much driving in it yet.