Thread: New Koni Shock Defective?

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster

New Koni Shock Defective?

Maybe I知 wrong? Between yesterday and today I received 5 KONIs, 2 front and 3 rear from the Tirerack (TR) Full set yesterday, 2 front 2 rear. One more rear today....

Fronts when compressed will return back to extension on their own. I Compressed the rear and one of the shocks did not return to extension, I called TR first yesterday and was told to contact Koni, which I did and was told I could send in for warranty evaluation. That might take a few days to evaluate, they were out and would not receive a shipment until late next week. I had planned on working on the car next week when the kids were off for spring break. To get the job done, I ordered another (and paid for) from Tirerack and received it today and this one will not return on its own either. So now I知 sitting with 3 good shocks and 2 dead shocks.

Before I call Koni and/or Tirerack up again, is this normal for a shock not to want to return to extension on its own or is it a big deal? If it is a big deal, I知 a little nervous as to how well they値l hold up.

If anyone has some insight about this if this is normal, I would appreciate the advice, neither Koni nor Tirerack were very helpful or concerned. Now I知 possibly stuck with 2new bad shocks that will need to go back to the manufacturer before Tirerack will refund my money. I知 still down one shock, too!!!

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Sorry I won稚 be much help in your situation, but should you not be able to return the leftover set back to TR claiming it was defective? If they give you run around, just call your credit card. I have never had any issues returning items that were defective. I would also refuse to pay any shipping and have TR email you UPS or USPS prepaid label.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Dimr, I learned that’s not the way TR works from them which is why I needed to purchase the 5th shock so I could replace them next week. They informed me they’d have to send the defective one to Koni for evaluation before they could refund my money.

ill definitely think twice before I buy from them again, although I’ve had good luck before with them with tires.

I hadn’t thought of contacting my credit card company, I’ll reach out to TR first though.

Why me??.......

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    You are trying a totally bogus test. Internal friction of unbedded seals vs the low pressure Koni uses means absolutely nothing. Put them on the car and be happy.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 03-21-2018 at 07:57 PM.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Thanks Randy, that is exactly the information I was hoping to get. Not knowing the internal workings of a shock, I didn’t know the legitimacy of the gas.

Ill go go ahead and install and enjoy!

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Randy and Dimr,

im going to go ahead and install but want to make sure they’re on the same setting. For the life of me, I’ve searched also, how do you set the shocks?

I don’t feel the feet engage the adjustment part on the shock when I try extended or retracted. The shaft just rotates without hitting a stop. I’ve removed the plastic spacer to see if that matters and I do feel more resistance but still not feeling a stop signifying I’ve reached a full firm or soft setting.

Any help would be really appreciated!!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    They adjust fully compressed. You need to remove the rubber bumper that is currently hiding in the shroud.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Randy, that worked!!

Thank you for the assistance, I致e scoured the net, YouTube, etc and nowhere is this mentioned. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    They adjust fully compressed. You need to remove the rubber bumper that is currently hiding in the shroud.

My Cars
    1999 M-Coupe, 2013 S60RD
    related question - just installed a set of GC coilovers and one of the rear shock "sags" lower than the other when the car is lifted off of the ground, resulting in a loose spring - is this a bad sign regarding the state of the shock?

thank you!