Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which coilovers would you buy?? E36 M3

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944

Which coilovers would you buy?? E36 M3

I am looking to buy some coilovers within the next few days.

Right now I am narrowed down to either new ST XTA's,ISC N1's or there is a local guy selling some used Ground Controls Street/school hybrids.

I can get each one for around the same price. I am leaning towards the new ST XTA's but I am concerned the spring rate wont be enough for me which is the main reason I am still considering the ISCs. The ground control spring rates i think may be a little too soft as well .

Car is daily driven but my focus is track performance.

Anything else I should consider?? I would be OK spending a little bit more money if performance was significantly better but at this point im looking in the $1000 range.

My Cars
    97 BMW M3 Sedan
    i like my BC Coils.
    Current
    -1997 BMW M3 4Door Artic Silver w/ Black Interior Daily

Past
    -2001 BMW 325i
    -1999 BMW M3 Vert White
    -1981 VW Rabbit Pickup (Caddy) 2.0 ABA

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas, I want him to shit his pants." - Enzo Ferrari

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I like the GC street/school setup, though it depends on what spring rates come with it. Mine are 440#/550#. You can go stiffer for track if you want, but it will get pretty rough on the street.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Buy the used GC over the BC or ST or ISC unless the GC are trashed from hard use.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    I like the GC street/school setup, though it depends on what spring rates come with it. Mine are 440#/550#. You can go stiffer for track if you want, but it will get pretty rough on the street.
    Same spring rates as what you have. You track your car right? Happy with that setup/spring rate?

Stiff doesnt bother me too much I have a 2nd Gen Dodge Ram 2500 that was my main DD for 2 years and nothing could ride worse than that

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Buy the used GC over the BC or ST or ISC unless the GC are trashed from hard use.
    Guy claims they are 1.5 years old and only 1000 miles on them

Another option i came across last night were The Fortune Auto coilovers. They seem kinda interesting to me as they are made to order hand assembled rebuildable/revalvable any spring rates and you can upgrade to swift coils and you can upgrade the cheap coilovers to their next levels up all the way to their race remote reservoir COs down the road for a reasonable price. Im researching them now seems like pretty positive feedback. If anyone has any experience with these let me know.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    I was in the same boat as you last week and chose the ST XTA's. I purchased through ECS which is currently offering a $75 gift card included in the purchase. In addition to that, ST is offering a $250 rebate totaling to $1045 shipped which I couldn't pass up.

The XTA's are supposed to be a close comparison to the KW V2s. Unfortunately I have not been able to find many reviews on the XTA's and it seems like most people lean towards TC Klines or Ground Controls for the track.

My needs/wants may be different from yours as I will most likely only see 1-2 track events per year and wanted an entry level setup.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by tvcasualty View Post
    Same spring rates as what you have. You track your car right? Happy with that setup/spring rate?

Stiff doesnt bother me too much I have a 2nd Gen Dodge Ram 2500 that was my main DD for 2 years and nothing could ride worse than that
    Yes I track my car. It's still daily driven but only 2-3K miles per year. In the summer the wider wheels and sticky tires go on and it goes to the track a few days. I dial in a bit more front camber but otherwise use the same configuration I use on the street. It's perfectly happy on the track with that suspension combined with a stiff front sway bar.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Quote Originally Posted by jonyoung04 View Post
    I was in the same boat as you last week and chose the ST XTA's. I purchased through ECS which is currently offering a $75 gift card included in the purchase. In addition to that, ST is offering a $250 rebate totaling to $1045 shipped which I couldn't pass up.

The XTA's are supposed to be a close comparison to the KW V2s. Unfortunately I have not been able to find many reviews on the XTA's and it seems like most people lean towards TC Klines or Ground Controls for the track.

My needs/wants may be different from yours as I will most likely only see 1-2 track events per year and wanted an entry level setup.

Yeah thats why I was leaning towards the ST XTAs. Tire Rack has them for $1300 free shipping. You get the $250 rebate from ST and I have a seperate rebate for $100 through Tire Rack from a track event and they are net $950 to my door. That seems like a pretty good deal for essentially KW V2s with camber plates. Just want to make sure its the right decision for me.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    Yeah thats why I was leaning towards the ST XTAs. Tire Rack has them for $1300 free shipping. You get the $250 rebate from ST and I have a seperate rebate for $100 through Tire Rack from a track event and they are net $950 to my door. That seems like a pretty good deal for essentially KW V2s with camber plates. Just want to make sure its the right decision for me.
    I originally ordered through tirerack and was told by customer service that it was out of stock and the $250 rebate does not apply to out of stock items. This is the reason I purchased through ECS Tuning. The responses may be inconsistent between customer service employees but I would error on the side of caution. As of 3/6, they were on backorder and I was given an ETA of 4-6 weeks.

I don't mean to thread jack or go off topic, but if you were to purchase coilovers, what rear shock mounts were you thinking about running?
    Last edited by jonyoung04; 03-23-2018 at 02:13 AM.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Honestly, $1,000 coils are not going to offer adequate track performance, nor the street manners you are seeking. I wouldn't recommend a used GC street setup either.

You are much better off with a Bilstein and/or Koni strut & performance oriented progressive lowering spring from Eibach or H&R. This type of setup will perform up there with $2500 coilovers on the track, and are a much smoother ride on the street in my experience driving on this type of setup for nearly 2 years. Not only is it cheaper, but the initial setup does not require a corner balance ($400).

You will be able to arrive at the track, and drive without any issue. This type of damper setup will never hold you back from advancing to highest run group in any DE. I found my set used with <15k miles for $450, worth every penny and then some. This is exactly what I recommend to all of my DE students who ask about budget coilovers.
    Last edited by Team Neverlift; 03-23-2018 at 12:32 PM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Neverlift View Post
    Honestly, $1,000 coils are not going to offer adequate track performance, nor the street manners you are seeking. I wouldn't recommend a used GC street setup either.

You are much better off with a Bilstein and/or Koni strut & performance oriented progressive lowering spring from Eibach or H&R. This type of setup will perform up there with $2500 coilovers on the track, and are a much smoother ride on the street in my experience driving on this type of setup for nearly 2 years. Not only is it cheaper, but the initial setup does not require a corner balance ($400).

You will be able to arrive at the track, and drive without any issue. This type of damper setup will never hold you back from advancing to highest run group in any DE. I found my set used with <15k miles for $450, worth every penny and then some. This is exactly what I recommend to all of my DE students who ask about budget coilovers.
    Great info!
    Thanks!
    So, what setup do you have?
    Koni's or Bilsteins with H&R or Eibach lowering springs?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Great info!
    Thanks!
    So, what setup do you have?
    Koni's or Bilsteins with H&R or Eibach lowering springs?
    I ran a 96+ M3 Bilstein B8 front strut w/ 96+ M3 OEM top mounts flipped for -2.5 camber, shimmed to -3.5 camber, & Koni single adjustable w/ Turner monoball top mounts in the rear, set on the middle setting (2 of 3 clicks) on H&R race springs, -1.8 camber on stock arms... only recently installed Turner camber arms with the coilovers to get -2.5+ camber. (95M3 FSB, stock Non-M RSB, I also don't waste money on sway bars)

If you compare my best lap times to the best e36 m3 lap times on m3forum for the tracks that I frequent, my times are faster than every E36 on R comps (100tw) and TCK or similar mid range DA coilovers, while I run Race springs and budget 200tw Federals.

I currently run KW v3 w/ Vorshlag plates per a sponsors offer for 2018. They are quite capable as well on track despite peoples assurances they are a more street oriented coilover. With linear springs, they will be quite potent, but I would never spend my own money for the nominal gain they have provided over the simple strut and spring setup. They still don't have the street manners of a strut & spring either, but they are growing on me after a few months, I must admit.
    Last edited by Team Neverlift; 03-23-2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: forgot to add my sway bar setup, which also goes against conventional forum "wisdom"

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    GC Street/School kit with 1000 miles and 1.5 years old for $1000 is the Best Buy out of the options discussed

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Neverlift View Post

Alright heres the deal> The car already has Koni adjustables on it and Springs...not sure what the springs are but the car is pretty low Im assuming H&R race springs?? I would probably be ok with it for a while longer but the rear shocks appear to be blown and the bumpstops are completely wasted. Fronts prob blown too i think it bottoms out way too easy. I need, not just want something new at this point. When I replace stuff I like to upgrade. If you dont think any setup mentioned is an upgrade that is fine. The last thing I want to do is spend money on a downgrade and be disappointed with the result.

So what will get me an upgrade? $1500? $2000? $2500? $3500? What coilovers would you recommend?

Im in sales I ask my customers all the time "has the saying you get what you pay for ever not been true?" The thing is I dont quite believe it myself. There are products out there that are amazing values then there are on the flip side overpriced goods. A lot of stuff out there sells on name alone...and people also assume because its more expensive its better...and then when it isnt they convince themselves it is cause they forked out so much $$. Im willing to spend more $$$ but Im really looking for an amazing value if it exists in suspension.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    If the shocks are done, then I'd suggest just getting the full setup of your choosing and replacing everything. The GC setup for $1000 is a great deal as that sells for around $1800-1900 new. That setup will get you everything you want for a dual purpose car. You won't need to worry about upgrading from that unless you get really serious about track/racing and want to turn the car into more of a full time track car.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Alright heres the deal> The car already has Koni adjustables on it and Springs...not sure what the springs are but the car is pretty low Im assuming H&R race springs?? I would probably be ok with it for a while longer but the rear shocks appear to be blown and the bumpstops are completely wasted. Fronts prob blown too i think it bottoms out way too easy. I need, not just want something new at this point. When I replace stuff I like to upgrade. If you dont think any setup mentioned is an upgrade that is fine. The last thing I want to do is spend money on a downgrade and be disappointed with the result.

So what will get me an upgrade? $1500? $2000? $2500? $3500? What coilovers would you recommend?
    I don't find any value in the mid range coilover segment. The performance, and value of the strut and spring setup is massive, and as I have stated before, they can compete with a $2500 off the shelf coilover setup, with a lot less investment on initial setup. The money saved can actually be put toward addressing the weak areas of the E36 chassis, which are plentiful, and seemingly, never ending. Bilstein PSS9/10 or KWv3 setups can be had for around $2500 completely installed and balanced, and due to the progressive springs that come with these kits, they will have a little more compliance on the street vs a linear track-oriented spring rate (high end dampers ($3k+) can handle high rates due to actually owning patents/technology, and the internal components/fluids used). You can always upgrade to linear springs down the line if necessary as well.

I have a buddy who just went to Moton Clubsports on his E36 racecar, who is selling his used TCK double sdjustable coilovers on camber plates, that comes with an extra set of springs. I will contact him and get a price on those, since he is local to you.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I have a buddy who just went to Moton Clubsports on his E36 racecar, who is selling his used TCK double sdjustable coilovers on camber plates, that comes with an extra set of springs. I will contact him and get a price on those, since he is local to you.
    If the price is favorable, this is the deal I would choose,TCK!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The used GC SA kit is a $2000 kit for half price at $1000. The used TCK DA is a $3000 kit - if the shocks don’t need rebuilding and it’s priced within your budget, consider them.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Case closed.

Im picking up the TC Kline D/A setup tonight. It's a deal I just could not pass up.

Thanks to Team Neverlift for the hookup.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Case closed.

Im picking up the TC Kline D/A setup tonight. It's a deal I just could not pass up.

Thanks to Team Neverlift for the hookup.
    Cool, have fun!

Find a good alignment shop who works on racecars to help get it all setup and balanced just right.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Nice choice!

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Find a good alignment shop who works on racecars to help get it all setup and balanced just right.
    West End Alignment is the go to place for CB & alignment. They are not cheap, and they are usually booked weeks in advance, and over an hour away from you.

The next best bet also happens to my main competition in Bimmer Challenge, (Robert Choo) Chewerks. I haven't personally used him, because reasons, but a lot of people do. He has lots of videos for GT Channel on Youtube talking about suspension and setup. He knows his stuff.

If you happen to lag on installing them, the shop that sponsors the gentleman who you bought the TCK from will have an alignment rack installed shortly, and will be providing those services, SWR Motorsports in Fullerton. He probably mentioned it already.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Yep I know about West End they seem to be THE shop. I cant believe there arent more that offer that kinda service.

Im actually thinking about learning to DIY align it and corner balance it myself..... it bothers me to pay people to do stuff i can do or figure out. I would rather invest in tools and knowledge.

Im also wanting to raise my ride height occasionally to do spectator races out at perris night of destruction or possibly try rallycross. May not be fun with 600/700lb springs though. Want to get a different car for that but the wife so far is nuts and thinks 5 cars is too many.

Hey do you know are these tc kline front coils supposed to have preload on them? He said they were still setup where he ran them and the cols are loose and can be spun around. I believe he knows what hes doing but that seems odd to me.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If they are 6 inch or less they will be loose installed on the struts with the struts out of the car or the car unloaded by jacking the front end in the air.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    If you wanted a dual purpose coilover (gravel + asphalt), I would have recommended contacting Feal in Ontario. Odi sponsors a lot of winning rally teams, despite him competing in Formula D, and has dampers for that exact purpose already on the market (he uses Penske internals btw). I had originally wanted to do the same with my E36, but the thrill of speed got me (my background is gravel surfaces).

I would also recommend you reinforce your trailing arm pockets before hitting the gravel. They are known to tear out on asphalt surfaces.

Tossing in a used set of Bilsteins for <$100 w/ stock springs would be a much better idea imo. But if you can find taller, softer springs, have at it.

Which scale system did you have in mind for getting a corner balance setup going? I have a set of Longacre toe plates collecting dust in my garage, just need to get a camber/caster gauge, and you will be able to do alignments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast