Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which coilovers would you buy?? E36 M3

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Neverlift View Post
    If you wanted a dual purpose coilover (gravel + asphalt), I would have recommended contacting Feal in Ontario. Odi sponsors a lot of winning rally teams, despite him competing in Formula D, and has dampers for that exact purpose already on the market (he uses Penske internals btw). I had originally wanted to do the same with my E36, but the thrill of speed got me (my background is gravel surfaces).

I would also recommend you reinforce your trailing arm pockets before hitting the gravel. They are known to tear out on asphalt surfaces.

Tossing in a used set of Bilsteins for <$100 w/ stock springs would be a much better idea imo. But if you can find taller, softer springs, have at it.

Which scale system did you have in mind for getting a corner balance setup going? I have a set of Longacre toe plates collecting dust in my garage, just need to get a camber/caster gauge, and you will be able to do alignments.
    I will just leave this car for asphalt and buy a different car or maybe use my 944. Grabbing a different set of keys is much easier than swapping suspension or adjusting coilovers. I like driving way more than I like working on stuff. Dual purpose like that will always be a compromise anyway.

I havent given it too much thought what I will go with. kind of in the idea stage. I will prob see if I can get a quick alignment to my specs after I throw on the coilovers (today) and worry about corner balance later. I think there is a shop close by that will do custom spec alignments.

I just talked to a buddy that knows a guy with scales and does his own corner balancing gonna see if he'll share some knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    If they are 6 inch or less they will be loose installed on the struts with the struts out of the car or the car unloaded by jacking the front end in the air.
    thank you sir

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Got the coilovers all done today....actually they were in yesterday but turns out I put the camber plates in wrong and didnt realize something was off till I mounted one of the tires. It was dark and i was hungry so i quit and fixed it today.

Ho lee chit this car is awesome now. What a difference. Cant wait till my next track outing. negative camber in the front makes a huge difference and my tires dont rub at all anymore. Glad I went with 600/700 spring rates personally i dont think they are too stiff for the road. One of the POs took the rear sway bar off for whatever reason gonna try to find a stock one and see if I like it better with it on. Havent even messed with the clickers on the shocks yet they are wherever the PO had them....do car guys call em clickers too or just us dirt bikers?

For the old stuff I took off the front were Sachs struts and one was blown. Rear had konis and seemed ok but the bumpstops looked like a shark got to them and what was left was dry as dust. And the best part is the Bolt and nut that holds the hub upright on the strut was loose....and was able to move back and forth. Explains the weird handling issues I was having. Money well spent. Thanks everyone for all teh comments/opinions/advice and keeping me away from the cheap shit.
    Last edited by tvcasualty; 04-01-2018 at 05:02 AM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Pictures ?
    TVcasualty,
    What spring rates would you rather have?
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 04-02-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12