My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto

Automatic Shifter Gear Selector Shift Lug

Hi all,

This is from my car
    FromCar.jpg

This is what i found from internet
    FromInternet.jpg

See the circled area from my car? Why the shift lock lever is pressing against the range switch? Is that bend? Or the whole assembly frame is bent? The gear shift lever and the range switch gap is also more.

Thanks..
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I'll pop my surround and look real quick. About to head to work, so...

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    The yellow part is shifted over a little I think.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    I checked the yellow part. It is tight and does not look shifted. Might be wrong. Will check again

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I reevaluated the images and it does seem that bit of metal is what's out of alignment. Check your transmission and engine mounts for wear, as that would allow the engine and transmission to sag to one side or twist slightly in relation to the chassis, dragging the support in the selector with it. I guess.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Transmission mounts were replaced some time back (Lemforder - back in 2013 and now have 17k on them). Engine mounts, i think it is still the original. The XBrace almost touch the oil pan.

My Cars
    z3
    The metal center part is bent. I don't think those parts need coding, and they litter junkyards, I would try a good used replacement and go from there. If you install a good straight part and the metal piece ends up sitting offset in that same way, then I'd look at mounts. But with new trans mounts I find it hard to imagine the engine leaning enough to cause the transmission to lean enough to move the lever that much. Your driver's side engine mount would have to be completely gone to allow that much movement, and even then, the trans mounts should prevent that flex from transferring to the shifter like that. I think the part just got damaged somehow

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    I think it was like this even before the transmission mounts were replaced. Will look for a replacement part.

Wonder how it got bent !!!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Gently lift the engine very very slightly (not much or the mounts will tear if not torn already) and look at the mounts for signs of tearing. They can split in half without causing any noticeable extra vibration or visible signs of tearing, apparently. Mine were both split in half when I got the car. I found out when I dropped the front crossmember after unbolting the mounts, and saw the bottom halves were still in the 'member.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Actually i checked them few days back. It is aged and I think the mounts are worn. The pan is touching the X brace thing. May be i can put a thin paper in between them. That's it. On morning, it makes metal to metal sound on throttle. I thought it was the exhaust, but found it is coming from this area. Once warms up, it is fine.

Didn't check it with engine lifted slightly. Need to try.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    If the pan is almost touching the x-member, then I'd just replace the mounts... they're easy to do, and pretty inexpensive... the one trick I learned is: put jack with wood on top under pan, lift engine just a hint (1/4" maybe), and then undo the nut on the bottom of the mount, then unbolt the upper part from the block... then take the whole assembly out, swap the mount part, then put the new complete assembly in... if you don't unbolt from the block, you have to life the engine enough to clear the stud ends - risk to heater hoses etc, or you have to take the x-member off then have to support whole engine... but by unbolting from the block you don't have those problems.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Unbolt the upper part from the block, never thought about it. Thanks Greg. All the videos i saw was to lift the engine high enough to take it out.