Thread: Side mirror problems

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325xi

Side mirror problems

I have a 2004 325xi that has been trouble free for the last 5 years ( routine maintenance of course ). I brought it in to the dealer for the 2 Takata airbag recalls last week. While it was there, I bought a key from them and had it programmed - I figured it was smart to get another since I only had one key.I had read on this forum before about old keys not working after programming the new one, so I asked them about that and they said as they have both keys things would be fine. I picked my car up last Friday and tried both keys before I left the dealership, and they both started the car.My car sat in my driveway all weekend and today was the first day I drove it since the ride home from the dealership. When I unlocked the car with the old remote this morning, both side mirrors started moving on their own. The switch moves them, but they won't stop when I let go of the switch. They move until they reach full lock and then stay pointing at the ground. I called the dealer and they said that it wouldn't be related to reprogramming for the keys, and could be a wiring problem. I don't think this is a coincidence !! What do you think ? 😠😤

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Try switching the left/right side switch that you use to adjust the mirrors. If it is set to to the left it allows the mirror to automatically be moved down to view the curb when backing up. It is worth a shot, hope that solves it. It probably is a programming thing though.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Do you have memory electric seats? If you do, the car stores in memory the seat and mirror settings for each driver by the key being used. Just set the car up as you want and restore the settings through the memory seat setting.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rada View Post
    Try switching the left/right side switch that you use to adjust the mirrors. If it is set to to the left it allows the mirror to automatically be moved down to view the curb when backing up. It is worth a shot, hope that solves it. It probably is a programming thing though.

Thanks for the reply Ken. I have tried the switch a few times and no luck.I've even removed the switch and unplugged it, and the mirrors are still moving.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    Do you have memory electric seats? If you do, the car stores in memory the seat and mirror settings for each driver by the key being used. Just set the car up as you want and restore the settings through the memory seat setting.
    It does have memory seats. Unfortunately I can't set the mirrors in ANY position because they never stop moving until they go to full lock.

My Cars
    2000 323i
    I did see a video recently about how to program your keys . It appeared to me that there is a memory or something programmed into the key. Since this happened right after the new key was made I would bet it has something to do with it. Maybe press the dealer a bit until they find someone who will fix it if you wind up feeling pretty certain they did not do the job properly.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rada View Post
    I did see a video recently about how to program your keys . It appeared to me that there is a memory or something programmed into the key. Since this happened right after the new key was made I would bet it has something to do with it. Maybe press the dealer a bit until they find someone who will fix it if you wind up feeling pretty certain they did not do the job properly.

Exactly my point. I will try calling again today. I don’t think it’s coincidental that it has been fine for 5 years, and as soon as I get a new key programmed my mirrors are not working properly. I just don’t feel I should have to defend myself to this dealer when it’s obvious to me they screwed my car up. Maybe I’m wrong...
    Thanks Ken

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325xi
    Well the service advisor told me there is no way programming the keys caused my now possessed mirrors, but they would be happy to check it out if I payed the diagnostic fee. If they found they were in fact responsible for whatever is causing my mirror problem, they will cover it. If it wasn't their doing, I will have to pay. Yeah, right - how can I prove they caused it !? I don't even know what is causing this ! I own 4 BMWs, and this is the first time any have been to the dealer for anything. I just figured that as long as it is there for a recall, I might as well get a spare key made. My wife is reminding me I was getting by with one key for years and should have left well enough alone. This has left a big black mark on BMW service for me. I will be contacting BMW corporate - I doubt it will help, but they need to know these things.What happened to " The customer is always right ? "

My Cars
    2000 323i
    I think I would try a few independent shops that offer keys. Maybe call and ask them if they know about programming keys to work with mirrors. If they do, then it is something the bmw dealership did and I would then be adamant that they messed up something. Not that that will help as they are going to blame something else anyway. Got to keep in mind that they could have sabotaged you to begin with or will if you go back. Unfortunately, some mechanics do that.

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    The key does 2 things. The ews chip starts the car and the other part controls the lock and unlock buttons on the key. The car seat memory controls where the seats and mirrors park. Get in the car and set the seats and mirrors where you want them and then set the memory button on the seat to lock them in. I can't see any way a new key could cause your issue. Look up how to initiate your keys to your car.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
    Get in the car and set the seats and mirrors where you want them and then set the memory button on the seat to lock them in. I can't see any way a new key could cause your issue. Look up how to initiate your keys to your car.
    It is impossible for me to set my mirrors ! If I touch the joystick the mirror selected moves and keeps moving ( even when you release the joystick ) until it reaches full lock, then it fights itself until it shuts off. I have no problems with the seats.

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    See if this helps. Manually push the mirrors up to about where you want them. Use the key in the door to open the car. Push a button on the seat memory and then push the memory button. Do that for all 3 memory buttons. Turn the key on and see if anything changes. Not sure if that will help but its an easy try. I will look in my E46 training book to see if it sheds any light.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
    See if this helps. Manually push the mirrors up to about where you want them. Use the key in the door to open the car. Push a button on the seat memory and then push the memory button. Do that for all 3 memory buttons. Turn the key on and see if anything changes. Not sure if that will help but its an easy try. I will look in my E46 training book to see if it sheds any light.
    Thanks Bob, it was worth a try. I just went out in my lunch break and gave it a shot - but no luck. Even with the switch out and disconnected, they still move with the remote unlocking the doors. # 57 fuse is pulled until I can figure this out.

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    Try the same thing as before but open the window first and don't open the door or use the key remote. push the mirrors approx where you want them and reach in and set all 3 seat buttons with the memory button. I forgot the system kicks in when you unlock with the key or open the door. Its worth a try.

When you go the new key all they should have done is to initialize the key to the car. Easy to do and you could have done it yourself. They keys come from BMW already set up to start your car. You can ask the service writer but that is all they should have done. That should not have caused any issues as it just makes the key buttons work with the GM.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325xi
    I'll give that a try Bob, thanks. At this point, really, blame doesn't matter. I just want to fix it. I read about activacting keys last night, and i went out and re activated both the new key, and the old one just because. No luck. I see some other forum members that have had similar problems, and their drivers side ribbon cable was cracked or broken causing this type of problem if the windows down trick doesn't work, I may be checking ribbon cables

Thanks

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    The bus style mirrors really suck. You need to have the system scanned to see which one is the culprit. Otherwise pull the door panels and unplug one at a time. I've replaced many of them for issues. On one of mine past E46's the drivers one just quit right as I was in the middle of selling the car. I swapped one of of my other car to complete the sale. Then bought a new motor assemble and fixed the old one. Its cheaper to pick up a used mirror than to fix them.