Thread: My auto to manual swap conversion questions 525i

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp

My auto to manual swap conversion questions 525i

Guys, I'm going to post questions as they come up during my swap. Currently I'm in a process of taking apart donor car I got. This donor is "receiver" in a way that it was swapped to manual 10 years ago, so I can learn what NOT to do For example, it is good idea to:

1. Put all bolts in when bolting transmission to engine
    2. Use proper torx bolts on starter so I don't have to take manifold out. Otherwise there was no way to put socket on a hex bolt (socket won't fit), I was able to grab bolts with regular wrench. I think I would get starter out without taking manifold if they used proper hardware

Ok.. I got pretty much everything apart except for pedal cluster. In here: http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/5speedswap.htm

He says to remove "secret" bolt to get steering column out. Well. Bolt WAS there, so whoever did swap didn't take it out. Strange? I read that there might be no need to swap whole pedal cluster but I want to take it out and don't take chances. I will be disposing car soon so I want to make sure I have all parts. Well, I have EZ-out but can't get this bolt out

Question 1: How did you take it out?

Next thing I unbolted clutch master cylinder. Well, I can't see how I get to the line 11mm bolt from under the car.

Question 2: How did you undo this clutch line?
    Question 3. How did you add fluid fill line, where should it be routed? In my case it seems that line goes out on driver side and goes under vacuum booster.

It seems that taking brake master and vacuum booster is a way to go, but I'm not sure how much involved (looks like a lot). And it seems like all DIYs concentrate on heavy pieces and electrics. For me clutch pedal and hydraulics seem to be the problem. Any advice?

Now to the pedal cluster. I unbolted all I can see. There is 4 nuts around brake master. 3 of them is accessible . Last one is behind metal plate. On pic I marked it yellow. Seems like this plate welded in with a hole inside. Looks like there should be spring on clutch pedal (marked red).

Question 4: Is this welded (kind of sloppy rust on welds) plate OE? Should I brake it off to take pedal cluster out?

IMG_2013.jpg
    Last edited by katit2; 03-19-2018 at 10:17 PM.

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    1. I ended up braking the bracket on the steering column off by twisting the column to fatigue the metal. This is not the right way clearly, but I just cut and welded a new piece on. Your best bet is to use a small dremmel with a grinding wheel. When the head is off and the column and pedals are out of your way, you can remove the threaded stud with vise grips easily.

2. Cant really answer too much since I bought my swap pulled out. Just get a new one, they are cheap enough. Then you can also buy new hardlines and bend to shape.

3. For me on the brake master resivoir, there was a nipple on the back that I cut to open and used that as my fill line. I did not remove anything to get to it, but it was not easy. This was more of a 2 man job, one person on the bottom manuevering and one person on top guiding. You could remove the intake manifold to get more clearence as well.
    95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    I used an angle grinder to just grind it off. However, in hindsight, it would have been faster and easier if I would have just cut a gash across it and used a screwdiver to remove.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Thanks for responses. I got it out. I was able to undo clutch line, but it will be tought to install it back

Question #3:
    After reading many topics I found that I need "exhaust mounting hardware" from manual donor car. However, I don't see anything different about exhaust on auto vs manual. Any hints what is this about?

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1994 540i6
    Good start. Be worth it in terms end.
    Auto cars are a drag.

I have a complete swap from a 95 525i with 160 kms if anybody needs one.
    Can deliver one hour around buffalo ny

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Pretty jealous even though I have the ZF 5spd auto here (manuals are super super rare because this ZF 5spd option was there, so everyone bought the e34 auto here it seems. (nearly every 6cyl or v8 is auto. Even when looking at 3 series earlier every 6cyl was auto)
    But the 5spd auto is still annoying me with power loss and it being very slow to change on the road and to get to top gear and lock up on the freeway. I need more power and torque OR a manual box imo because as it is, it's no fun. Gimme a manual or give me a barra
    Last edited by fo3; 03-27-2018 at 01:36 PM.