Thread: e36 - low beam failure on single headlamp

My Cars
    1997 328i Coupe

e36 - low beam failure on single headlamp

It appears I have a low beam failure unique to this headlamp position. I'm running stock halogens, not HIDs.

New bulbs = no fix. Flipping the bulbs from left to right = no fix. Hi beam = works fine.

Seems like a simple continuity issue (considering the other side works fine, and hi-beam from the same light position works fine), but i'm not sure what the problem wire is, or where to start. I have a multimeter with a continuity checker somewhere in the house.

Any suggestions?

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    You need to break out your volt meter. Do you get an error on the Check Control Module (On Board Display)? If no message display, then my money gets piled high on the headlamp switch itself.

My Cars
    1997 328i Coupe
    No fault messages observed at the OBD.

Likely a headlight switch fault? Yikes - I just googled the switch to see what i'm dealing with. I hope the pins are labelled.

I'll dig out my DMM and a wiring diagram and attempt to follow the path to the fault.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    You circled the high beam in your picture. Why arent your parking lights on with your headlights turned on? They should always be unless its been modified

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 328i Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    You circled the high beam in your picture. Why arent your parking lights on with your headlights turned on?
    That's exactly the fault i'm trying to correct. In low beam mode, the headlamp as circled is not projecting as it should. In high beam mode, the headlamp is working fine.

Low beam mode:

High beam mode:

Last edited by Cheeseburger; 03-20-2018 at 10:33 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    do not hotlink pics, just a link is enough, then it might work
    Last edited by shogun; 03-20-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    You circled the high beam in your picture. Why arent your parking lights on with your headlights turned on? They should always be unless its been modified

Picture? there's no picture.

The car has four headlamps, the outboard lamps are low beam, the inboard lamps are high beam. When you use the Flash feature of the turn signal stalk, the inboard lamps are turned on without turning the outboard lamps on. If the headlamps are on, then you have the outboard lamps until you push the turn signal stalk forward, then you get the inboard lamps in addition to the outboard -- all 4 lamps are on. If the Fog lamps are switched on, they only light if the high beams are not on.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    Picture? there's no picture.
    I see two pictures he linked in which his headlights appear to be functioning mostly normal

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    These are the photos OP posted

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi
    Do you know the car has separate fuses for each headlight bulb? Check all your fuses!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Using the photos in Post #9 as my guide, I see no problem with the headlamps. Certainly no issues that comes from a blown fuse. All lights should be on when the light switch is on and the high beams are selected with the turn signal stalk (combination switch) is pushed towards the dash board. The OP is in Australia, this may or may not have a bearing on the situation. It's also pointed out that the parking lamps (corner markers) should be on in the pictures provided, this should be a clue.

When the car is driving in daylight hours and no lights are on, pulling the combo switch to the steering wheel will light the inboard lamps momentarily as long as the combo switch is held.

When the headlamps are on, the outboard lamps are on in Low Beam operation, when the high beams are on, then the inboard lamps come on with the outboard lamps (all four lamps are on). If the fog lamps are being used, they go off when the high beams come on. The corner lamps should be on at all times when the headlamps are on.
    Last edited by JDStrickland; 03-22-2018 at 02:22 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i Coupe
    Thanks for the pic update guys... I didn't realise they weren't visible.

There's definitely a problem with the headlamps. Until about two months ago all four lamps were working in low beam mode *. Now, only three of the four are emitting light in low beam mode, with the circled lamp being the, ummm, non-emitter. And it's not the (Philips Halogen H1 55W) bulb itself, as I can swap bulbs around but the problem only manifests itself in that particular bulb socket.

Not sure what you mean by corner markers - indicators (orange) or fog lamps (closest to the road) - either way, they're all working fine, and have their own dashboard switching independent of the main headlamp array. If you're unfamiliar with this arrangement (as US folks) I suggest it must be a Euro-spec thing.

* Low beam mode: The outer lamps throw their full power (55 watts) down the road regardless of low or high beam selection. The inner lamps are two mode - in low beam mode they perform more of an aesthetic function and throw ~10 watts down the road. In high beam mode they throw their full 55 watts down the road. As can be seen in the picture with the circled lamp - in low beam mode, it's opposite is emitting a ~10W glow, whereas the circled light is not working at all.

Still ratting around trying to find my DMM. In the meantime, i'll check the fuses.
    Last edited by Cheeseburger; 03-23-2018 at 02:33 AM.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325I
    looks like a bad city light bulb to me. i run the same basic lights on BOTH my 36s. look to see if there is a smaller 194 bulb that's burnt out. or a wire that's disconnected for said bulb.
    2 Brilliant Red 1993 BMW 325i Sedans. identical except interior color
    1 1982 320i in cypress green.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Yeah, your high beams shouldn't be on at all on low unless you have city lights, and that is what I am seeing. It's a small bulb, you should be able to see it through the front toward the bottom.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetester View Post
    Do you know the car has separate fuses for each headlight bulb? Check all your fuses!
    This.

Fuses should always be your first check. Always.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/