Thread: I broke a bolt

My Cars
    1990 325i convertible

I broke a bolt

I was replacing the battery hold down bracket on my 1990 325i vert and the bolt sheared off. What's the best way to remove the remainder of the bolt?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Can you post a picture? It's been a while since I've worked on an E30, can't remember how accessible this bolt is.....

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

dworthy is online now Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1

Depending if it broke off even or has a bit sticking out, you may have to drill it out. If some is sticking out, you could use a pair of vise-grips to remove the stub.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I'm guessing it broke off flush with the battery box. Corrosion from the battery acid has probably messed up the bolt sticking out below the battery box. You'll need to drill it out and re-tap. You might be able to somehow run it out the bottom avoiding the corrosion on the portion of the bolt protruding the bottom.
    Crappy job, have fun. Use anti seize paste on the new bolt.
    Last edited by ross1; 03-21-2018 at 09:34 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1990 325i convertible
    It's broken off flush with the battery tray. On a drawing I saw at RealOEM, it looks like there is some sort of nut or something on the bottom underneath the tray. Can someone post a pic of their clamp so I can make sure mine is actually the correct part or that the bottom of the battery is compatible with the clamp?

My Cars
    09 x3
    that nut is welded. look... that bolt is also relatively soft ... just drill it out to a tap drill size for 8mm 1.25 , ( start w/ a small drill on center as best you can first ) run a tap thru it the best you can and get a new bolt. you will end up cutting new threads but you should be fine. I can't imagine that you could get it out w/ an ez out or anything like above said , its going to seized solid... but you can try...

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I highly recommend using a left-hand drill bit ! All tool trucks have these (SnapOn, Mac, Matco). If you use said bit, with drill on reverse, the remaining bolt might just back itself out. It broke while you were installing it, after all....it is not seized, just overtorqued and probably rotted.

If this fails, I'd try a punch or chisel , in the reverse direction, to just back the bolt out. For this process....in example.....you hammer the punch into the remaining bolt at, say, 1 o'clock....and then try gently hammering the punch counterclockwise. If it moves at all, this is absolutely the path you need to follow.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post
    It's broken off flush with the battery tray. On a drawing I saw at RealOEM, it looks like there is some sort of nut or something on the bottom underneath the tray. Can someone post a pic of their clamp so I can make sure mine is actually the correct part or that the bottom of the battery is compatible with the clamp?
    Since the bolt broke off flush you have a better chance of running it the rest of the way through rather than trying to drag the crusty threads protruding from the other side back through the nut. Can you get to the back side of it? If you drill it with a conventional rh drill and it does loosen it'll just fall out the other side.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue