Thread: O2 sensors - BMW vs aftermarket

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan

O2 sensors - BMW vs aftermarket

Hi all,

My 1998 M3 is overdue for replacement of all four O2 sensors. So should I spend the $250/per and go with genuine BMW parts, or is it OK to save a little $$$ and put in aftermarket sensors? What are the cons of going with the latter option? I only want the best for my car so I'll probably just go with the BMW stuff but I figured I'd open a discussion here and see what others have to say.....

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Choose from here, OE or OEM, excellent source for quality parts!:
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/M3...998&m=20&e=195

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    There is no need for genuine parts in this case. I've had great success with FCP Euro. The OE vs OEM vs Genuine article they have is a great read

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    M3 w/Gt35r
    I've had excellent luck with NTK sensors.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Those O2 sensors are the major factor in mixture control. Choose wisely.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Thanks everyone. I'm still leaning towards genuine BMW. For those who've used other sensors, did you have any issues with mixture control? I don't wanna cut corners, but lots of maintenance issues have shown up at once and I'm trying to find the most practicable solution.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    I've been using Denso for years and have had no issues. I drive the snot out of my car on the track with an aftermarket tune. I wouldn't even bother replacing the rear sensors until they fail. Then when they do, replace those with the front sensors you've taken out. The rears are only for cat efficiency checks. The front ones are what really matter.

1999 BMW M3
    S52, 3.5 HFM, 24lbs injectors, Epic 93-octane tune, BimmerWorld y-pipe, race exhaust, and brake cooling, 3.46 gear, Ground Control 525/650, Koni SA, Ground Control front sway bar, Wilwood calipers, ACT HDG6 clutch, gutted, reinforced, caged, and other things

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris99 View Post
    I've been using Denso for years and have had no issues. I drive the snot out of my car on the track with an aftermarket tune. I wouldn't even bother replacing the rear sensors until they fail. Then when they do, replace those with the front sensors you've taken out. The rears are only for cat efficiency checks. The front ones are what really matter.
    Great info Solaris99! I like to drive my car hard as well, so I've been wondering if my driving style would kill non-BMW sensors. It sounds like you've tested this theory pretty extensively. What kinds of symptoms would you have if just the rear sensors were failing???!!!!

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    When I first bought my E36 M3 I went through this same issue and did a shitload of research. Basically what I concluded are the NGK 25013 will work just as good as the genuine BMW ones. The independent mechanic I went to wanted $1400 to replace all 4 sensors and reset the computer. I bought 4 through amazon prime ($256), installed them myself in probably 3 hours and took them to the same independent mechanic to have the computer reset and what not. They almost shit their pants when I told them I bought them on Amazon and were sure there were going to be issues. After doing all the work I could see how hard it was for them to say "well all the sensors are reading correctly....For now"

That was back in 2016 and I have had no problems since.

Do yourself a favor and buy these and don't look back:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Alpine 318is; 03-20-2018 at 01:45 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CanyonDestroyer View Post
    Great info Solaris99! I like to drive my car hard as well, so I've been wondering if my driving style would kill non-BMW sensors. It sounds like you've tested this theory pretty extensively. What kinds of symptoms would you have if just the rear sensors were failing???!!!!
    You'll get codes (check engine light) specific to the cats and/or the rear sensors. I forget what the specific wording/numbering is for the codes. It'll be obvious, though. It'll say something about efficiency or voltage being out of range.

1999 BMW M3
    S52, 3.5 HFM, 24lbs injectors, Epic 93-octane tune, BimmerWorld y-pipe, race exhaust, and brake cooling, 3.46 gear, Ground Control 525/650, Koni SA, Ground Control front sway bar, Wilwood calipers, ACT HDG6 clutch, gutted, reinforced, caged, and other things

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 318is View Post
    When I first bought my E36 M3 I went through this same issue and did a shitload of research. Basically what I concluded are the NGK 25013 will work just as good as the genuine BMW ones. The independent mechanic I went to wanted $1400 to replace all 4 sensors and reset the computer. I bought 4 through amazon prime ($256), installed them myself in probably 3 hours and took them to the same independent mechanic to have the computer reset and what not. They almost shit their pants when I told them I bought them on Amazon and were sure there were going to be issues. After doing all the work I could see how hard it was for them to say "well all the sensors are reading correctly....For now"

That was back in 2016 and I have had no problems since.

Do yourself a favor and buy these and don't look back:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    +1
    Had no problems with these

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by IR M5 View Post
    I've had excellent luck with NTK sensors.
    That’s because NTK is OE. Bosch is also OE as they are NTK sensors with a Bosch packaging.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    That’s because NTK is OE. Bosch is also OE as they are NTK sensors with a Bosch packaging.
    +1

I replaced both my upstream with NTK and haven't had a problem since.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    Does BMW even make oxygen sensors for the e36? I would guess they are some other approved brand in a BMW box (maybe even NTK as mentioned). Same thing with ABS sensors my $20 ones work just fine didn't feel the need to spend $125 for genuine BMW ones. If they work, they work.

For the E36 cheaper does not necessarily mean worse or that it won't work as sometimes it's the same part in a BMW box (like e36 genuine bmw rotors are just brembos).

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by realjones View Post
    Does BMW even make oxygen sensors for the e36? I would guess they are some other approved brand in a BMW box (maybe even NTK as mentioned). Same thing with ABS sensors my $20 ones work just fine didn't feel the need to spend $125 for genuine BMW ones. If they work, they work.

For the E36 cheaper does not necessarily mean worse or that it won't work as sometimes it's the same part in a BMW box (like e36 genuine bmw rotors are just brembos).
    I would imagine parts specifically built by BMW in house are few and far between. No need to pay for a logo

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by realjones View Post

I don't think so. I believe NTK makes them for Bosch who makes them for BMW.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    I don't think so. I believe NTK makes them for Bosch who stamps the logo "BMW" on them and they sell them for more.

fixed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Choose from here, OE or OEM, excellent source for quality parts!:
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/M3...998&m=20&e=195
    and they carry a LIFETIME warranty
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    fixed