Thread: Buying advice

My Cars
    N/A (for now)

Buying advice

Hey all, I need some advice again on purchasing an M3, this time I found a 3/2/5 that I thought had sold but it came back up for sale. The problem I had was that the car was listed for 11k, then it dropped to 5 1/2k because he said it would need a rebuild, then he deleted the post and I had thought it sold. He re-listed it yesterday and I contacted him and he claims that the engine problem was that it needed an oil change and that everything was fixed even though he priced it about the same. (6k vs 5.5). What do you guys think, should I take the risk?

As far as mods go, it appears to be a mostly done track car that I can DD.
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...535292790.html

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    5w-20 weight oil to resolve an oil pressure issue? That's the oil weight recommended for my Hyundai but I would never put such a light oil in an M3.

**Previously disclaimed occasional low oil pressure light in older listings, after performing an oil change last weekend using 5W-20 oil, the oil light has never returned since even when warm.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah, run. I wouldn't touch that unless you assume going in that the engine probably needs a rebuild or replacement (worst case), and price accordingly.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Unfortunately a seller like that is likely looking to get top dollar from some schmuck who doesn't know any better (he already doesn't!).

My Cars
    N/A (for now)
    Damn, guess the hunt is still on....in the meantime, I need a third or fourth opinion on these two:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...512679860.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...534396296.html

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    First one is a freaking racecar. If that's what you're going for, seems like a decent one. Caged, widebody, and so forth. Not a car for the street.
    Second one I can't really comment on since I'm not a forced induction guy and it's a turbo. Seems nice cosmetically though.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    N/A (for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    First one is a freaking racecar. If that's what you're going for, seems like a decent one. Caged, widebody, and so forth. Not a car for the street.
    Second one I can't really comment on since I'm not a forced induction guy and it's a turbo. Seems nice cosmetically though.
    Yeah the first one I don't mind being a race car as long as it can be smogged. The second one I was curious as I have never seen a turbo kit for the E36, much less a CARB legal one. Maybe I should ask on the FI sub-forum.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Tui - are you looking to buy an E36 M3 as a daily driver? Do you have a 2nd car to drive around if the E36 needs fixing? Keep in mind, these cars are 20 years old and they need attention. Not sure what your budget is but look to spend more upfront for a well maintained car that probably won't need anything for a few years or speed less on the car up front and use the rest of the money to bring it up the maintenance. Are you able to DIY? If not, paying the shop for things here and there will add up quickly.
    From those links, both cars are about 10k. You can use that 10k and possibly get a bone stock car that was reasonably maintained. It looks like the links you are looking at is buying someone's modded car which is kinda rare IMO.

I would stay away from the turbo car for sure. Just look at the images. One of them is not even in focus and there is another picture and it shows the temp gauge pass the middle mark....overheating already??

Not to mention the front of the car looks kinda scuffed up as well.

My Cars
    N/A (for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by usedunderwear View Post
    Tui - are you looking to buy an E36 M3 as a daily driver? Do you have a 2nd car to drive around if the E36 needs fixing? Keep in mind, these cars are 20 years old and they need attention. Not sure what your budget is but look to spend more upfront for a well maintained car that probably won't need anything for a few years or speed less on the car up front and use the rest of the money to bring it up the maintenance. Are you able to DIY? If not, paying the shop for things here and there will add up quickly.
    From those links, both cars are about 10k. You can use that 10k and possibly get a bone stock car that was reasonably maintained. It looks like the links you are looking at is buying someone's modded car which is kinda rare IMO.

I would stay away from the turbo car for sure. Just look at the images. One of them is not even in focus and there is another picture and it shows the temp gauge pass the middle mark....overheating already??

Not to mention the front of the car looks kinda scuffed up as well.
    Yeah, I'm not the best at used car shopping so that's why I asked you guys before I made a decision. At this point I'm going to wait for a little while and see if any new cars popup. And yeah I have a few cars actually, 17 subaru legacy, 18 subaru outback, and a 97 D21 nissan pickup. If I do end up purchasing an M3 it's going to be driven probably about 3-4 days a week depending on the weather. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by tui; 03-20-2018 at 12:52 AM. Reason: just saying thanks for info

My Cars
    N/A (for now)
    This is my last option, a stock 3/2/5 with 133k miles, if this doesn't cut it then I'm going to wait a few months and try again.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...508708178.html

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    That last one looks pretty good, I'd go take a look at it. Also don't wait a few months when looking for a good E36 M3. I looked nearly everyday for 3 months! When a good condition one pops up for a fair price they're usually gone in just a couple days.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    bmw cca has classifieds too. They are usually better cars and owned by less sketchy sellers...CL and auto trader are good sources for ads too. Get a relatively stock car, otherwise, you'll inherit other people's troubles. Why selling? Think about that. If so good, why not keep those cars?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by tui View Post
    This is my last option, a stock 3/2/5 with 133k miles, if this doesn't cut it then I'm going to wait a few months and try again.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto...508708178.html
    Looks pretty good to me. But this one looks like a better value if a sedan is OK:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...7#post29981057
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 03-21-2018 at 02:21 PM.

My Cars
    N/A (for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Looks pretty good to me. But this one looks like a better value if a sedan is OK:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...7#post29981057
    Yeah this is nice (tbh, I'd rather have a 4 door). But this one happens to be a few thousands miles too far away hehe. Thanks anyways

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Any reason you are looking for fully built (and beat on)?

These cars are pretty capable stock you can pick one up cheap have fun with it and mod it where you think it needs improvement. I bought mine high miles but otherwise well maintained for $3k i should have less than $10k in it when im done and built the way i want.

My Cars
    N/A (for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by tvcasualty View Post
    Any reason you are looking for fully built (and beat on)?

These cars are pretty capable stock you can pick one up cheap have fun with it and mod it where you think it needs improvement. I bought mine high miles but otherwise well maintained for $3k i should have less than $10k in it when im done and built the way i want.
    No specific reason, just me being a idiotic teenager with semi-deep pockets. I originally drove my cousin's S2000 when I was 13 (no racing or anything like that), but now I'm too tall for it which is why I joined this forum in hopes of buying an M3.