Thread: 325i sputtering on idle then dies

My Cars
    2003 325i e46

Angry 325i sputtering on idle then dies

[[FIXED]]

Hey guys,

On my way to work the other day my 325i started sputtering while at a red light, once I crossed the street it died. I was able to limp it to a parking lot while it died a few more times. It clearly was misfiring so I started with spark plugs, once I changed them I noticed a bit of oil in two of them so I replaced the VCG. I got a code reader today and was shocked with how many errors came up. I'm sure they go hand in hand but heres what I got.

P0300- Multiple cylinder misfires
    P1083- Fuel control mixture lean
    P1349- Misfire cylinder 4 w/ fuel cut-off
    P1351- Misfire cylinder 5 w/ fuel cut-off and ignition coil control circuit high voltage
    P0171- System too lean bank 1
    P0185- Fuel temp sensor b circuit malfunction
    P0174- System too lean bank 2
    Pending:
    P1346- Misfire during start cylinder 3

After some research I figured I would first start checking for vacuum leaks.
    Has anyone ever had similar issues? All of these happened at once, at least I think they did. I never had any problems with the car before. 150xxx miles.

Thanks

Update: Got the car home, rough idle dies when given power... Going to change the fuel filter next.

Solution: Upper intake boot had two major cracks, once replaced idling issue was still there. I noticed the car ran fine with the MAF unplugged, which narrowed it down for me. Replaced the MAF and we are back to running normally. Also, cleaned the ICV which may or may not have helped (who cares), it's clean now.
    Last edited by ncolfer; 04-10-2018 at 08:47 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    You have multiple misfires, probably caused by lean fuel mixture conditions present in both banks 1&2.
    I agree on the most possible cause to be an intake leak/vacuum leak.
    Since it happened so suddenly, remove rubber intake boot,
    squeeze and check it for hidden cracks, along with all associated hoses.
    If nothing found, then a smoke test with a professional smoke machine should be performed.
    Post back with what you find.

My Cars
    2003 325i e46
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    You have multiple misfires, probably caused by lean fuel mixture conditions present in both banks 1&2.
    I agree on the most possible cause to be an intake leak/vacuum leak.
    Since it happened so suddenly, remove rubber intake boot,
    squeeze and check it for hidden cracks, along with all associated hoses.
    If nothing found, then a smoke test with a professional smoke machine should be performed.
    Post back with what you find.
    Just an update, a few days late.. A friend of mine who is very knowledgeable about BMW's was able to drive it home. His advice was there is no misfires but the car is having problems idling. The car has power when being driven but when given gas in neutral it dies.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Yes,
    exactly, so what is his fix-according to his diagnosis?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Btw,
    Not to hurt feelings, but your friends advice totally contradicts the computers.
    Clear ALL codes, then take note of new ones that reappear, after a short drive cycle.

My Cars
    2003 325i e46
    Btw,
    Not to hurt feelings, but your friends advice totally contradicts the computers.
    Clear ALL codes, then take note of new ones that reappear, after a short drive cycle.
    Yea for sure, I should’ve mentioned that. I am going to clear all codes and reset with that. I have a new fuel filter I am going to install this weekend.

My Cars
    2003 325i e46
    Btw,
    Cleared codes, drove... they reappeared. Still haven’t gotten the correct FF. Took the ICV off today and it was making noises like it should, cleaned it anyway. There was two big cracks in my upper intake boot. Ordered a new one. Hoping that helps a bit, I don’t think it will fix everything though.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    You sure are headed in the right direction for a correct diagnosis and fix,
    once you replace those critical parts. Finding those cracks in the rubber boot was great,
    you actually done much better than yourknowledgeable friend...lol.

My Cars
    2003 325i e46
    You sure are headed in the right direction for a correct diagnosis and fix,
    once you replace those critical parts. Finding those cracks in the rubber boot was great,
    you actually done much better than yourknowledgeable friend...lol.
    Replaced the upper intake boot today, reset codes, turned it on and it ran fine no issues. Go check the engine and realize I forgot to plug the MAF back in. Plug it in... back to a bad idle.. looks like I found the problem. I'll be headed the the junkyard this week to pick up a "new" one. FF is still on it's way.

I still have some codes left to figure out,

Confirmed:
    P1083 Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
    P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)
    P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)
    P0185 Fuel Temperature Sensor B Circuit Malfunction

Pending:
    P1346 Misfire During Start Cylinder 3
    P1351 Misfire Cylinder 5 With Fuel Cut-off

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Once new boot installed,clear codes.
    Lean codes should not reappear,
    unless FF is obstructing fuel flow.
    Or you can wait until boots and FF have been replaced

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) runs an overly rich fuel/air mix when the MAF is unplugged. That masks vacuum leaks. Have the intake smoke tested.

My Cars
    EXOTICS

+1

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    The engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) runs an overly rich fuel/air mix when the MAF is unplugged. That masks vacuum leaks. Have the intake smoke tested.
    Agree.
    Once simple attempts at quick fixes don't produce the desired results,
    It's time to have it professionally smoke tested,
    to reliably locate any hard to find intake leaks.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    If the upper boot was broken chances are that the lower boot is also broken. The lower intake boot usually goes before the upper. Unplugging the maf makes it run better. This is a symptom of an air leak, usually the lower boot. Replacing the maf will probably not help. I would not replace the maf until you have checked the lower boot. It usually cracks on the small branch that connects to the idle control valve. If the boots are good, do a smoke test.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 325i e46
    Agree.
    Once simple attempts at quick fixes don't produce the desired results,
    It's time to have it professionally smoke tested,
    to reliably locate any hard to find intake leaks.
    New MAF arrived today, I just installed it and it fixed the idling issue, car runs like before. I am going to keep diagnosing the codes that re-appear once I get the time to reset the battery. I appreciate your reply's to this thread as I figured out my issues.

My Cars
    2003 325i e46
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    If the upper boot was broken chances are that the lower boot is also broken. The lower intake boot usually goes before the upper. Unplugging the maf makes it run better. This is a symptom of an air leak, usually the lower boot. Replacing the maf will probably not help. I would not replace the maf until you have checked the lower boot. It usually cracks on the small branch that connects to the idle control valve. If the boots are good, do a smoke test.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Randy,

Thanks for the reply, when I took my ICV off to clean it I checked the lower boot and it was crack free. After I put everything back together and the realized the ICV wasn't the issue, I left the MAF unplugged and the car ran fine (no issues with idling) I just figured it was time to replace it. New MAF arrived today and everything is back to normal!