Thread: New to me 2001 740IL, I need a couple of quick fixes I hope....

My Cars
    2001 740IL

New to me 2001 740IL, I need a couple of quick fixes I hope....

Just bought a 2 owner 01 740IL with 97,000 miles in pretty great shape!! A couple of issues...

Service engine light, was told car had a recent tuneup and service but feels like it is running very "rich" at idle and lower rpm, can hardly tell it at running higher speed. Puffs black smoke when you start it up. Was told by previous owner bmw said that it's some gas/Oil regulator ($150 part?), something about a filter of sorts that mixes the gas and oil correctly is either dirty or starting to not work, either needs cleaned or replaced.

Radio works for about 2 minutes then goes mute. Turn off then back on radio works and goes off again 2 minutes later, radio power light stays on.

Navigator screen is all jacked up, I can tell it's on but that's it as it's basically a blank screen with glitches and lines only.

Any recommendations on the gas/Oil mix problem as that's the main one. I just put 100 miles on it and those are only problems I can find so far, car drives like a new one, hoping I got a good one.
    What are the things that are an absolute must for me to do to the car to get started upkeep on the right track? Is it worth it to fix the navigator screen?

Any advice is appreciated!

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey

New to me 2001 740IL, I need a couple of quick fixes I hope....

The navigation unit is bad. If you swap in a different one, the radio problems should go away. You will have to decide if you want to stick to MKIII or upgrade to an MKIV unit which will cost more.

As far as the other issue is concerned, I wonder if they are talking about the back plate on the intake (CCV). Gas and oil should not be mixing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by armiller1; 03-18-2018 at 08:33 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products?utf...ds=11617501563

This is the back plate. However, I think you would typically see white smoke if this were the issue.

My Cars
    2001 740IL
    It's a pretty good miss at low rpms. He told me it causes it to rev up at start up in cold weather also. Seems to be fine when running but I can definitely feel the miss when I accelerate

- - - Updated - - -

What typically causes a miss and black smoke at startup?

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Get the codes which are causing the light. Have your local autozone check them. It could also be the Oil separator valve. Misfires are usually bad coils or too much oil getting in the spark plug wells. You can take off the covers on the valve covers that hide the coils and plugs and look for oil.

My Cars
    2001 740IL
    Thanks

My Cars
    2001 740IL
    He said it was a $150 part but who knows, I'll have to call him. What type of oil does everyone use?

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Quote Originally Posted by Faymett View Post
    What type of oil does everyone use?
    This is a well debated question on this & other e38 forums.
    Just do a search & you'll get more than enough into to make a decision that works for you.
    BTW, I personally use Mobil 1 5-w30 in my 740 & 540.
    And, I agree with armiller1 about the Nav being the cause of the radio shutting off after 2 minutes. The MKIII will go kaput if the power is removed (battery unplugged?) before allowing the MKIII to power down gracefully (alowing the red LED to go out on the MKIII first).
    Last edited by sealbeach740; 03-18-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    2001 7-S62, 2002 X5 S2,
    Just bought a 2 owner 01 740IL with 97,000 miles in pretty great shape!! A couple of issues...

Service engine light, was told car had a recent tuneup and service but feels like it is running very "rich" at idle and lower rpm, can hardly tell it at running higher speed. Puffs black smoke when you start it up. Was told by previous owner bmw said that it's some gas/Oil regulator ($150 part?), something about a filter of sorts that mixes the gas and oil correctly is either dirty or starting to not work, either needs cleaned or replaced.

Thats the CCV located on the back of the intake manifold. ProTip - replace the factory bolts with stainless steel hex head cap screws. The factory screws are made of cheap metal and strip easily. Here is the part. $98 https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-I...1563-62e38.htm

Radio works for about 2 minutes then goes mute. Turn off then back on radio works and goes off again 2 minutes later, radio power light stays on.

Navigator screen is all jacked up, I can tell it's on but that's it as it's basically a blank screen with glitches and lines only.

The unit in the trunk is dead. Finished. Toast. Remove it and toss it. The screen is basically a monitor that receives what you see from the nav unit/brain in the trunk. To slide it out, use a dry cleaning hanger, cut (4) 3 inch straight sections and insert them into the four corners, then
    coax it out.

Any recommendations on the gas/Oil mix problem as that's the main one. I just put 100 miles on it and those are only problems I can find so far, car drives like a new one, hoping I got a good one. What are the things that are an absolute must for me to do to the car to get started upkeep on the right track? Is it worth it to fix the navigator screen?

Gas and oil do not mix. You can buy a used navigation unit from eBay, LKQ etc. If your unit is factory, it's probably a Mark 2, which run on CD's. The newer Mark 3 & 4 run on DVD's and have better graphics. Search for an MK4 and go from there. If you know someone with an E38/E39/E53 you can always try to test theirs out in your car to be sure the monitor is 100% ok.

Any advice is appreciated!

Change the fluids/Filters. Engine oil (most use 5W30 Mobil 1 full synthetic). Change the brake fluid. If it looks like cocacola, get rid of it. The transmission fluid is often overlooked, but is highly important to change. There are several write ups on how to do it. Be sure to use a Hengst filter for the engine oil filter and FILTRAN for the transmission. Cheap filters in either case can collapse under the pressure these cars operate at and cause issues. I've used Valvoline Max Life in my E38's transmissions for years with no issue. Trans Filter is here: https://www.oembimmerparts.com/1995-...rts-s/1895.htm

Change the fuel filter - its likely never been done and is tough on the fuel pump.
    Charcoal filters accessible when the hood is open - clean or replace.
    Cabin Filters - there are two - clean or replace - www.e38.org is a great resource for DIY projects, bookmark it.

​Good Luck & Enjoy the Ride!
    Last edited by 740ilDuke; 03-18-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    2001 | DINAN 7 Sport | S62 Swapped 6-Speed
    DINAN Springs & Exhaust | 750 Brakes | M-Pars | Monsoons | NBT Nav/Radio
    Dual Pane Glass | Black & Sand Int.

| 750iL | AlpineWeiss III

@scotthduke on Instagram

My Cars
    2001 740IL
    Great info. I've been reading up and I'm thinking the roughness is from something called the oil separator valve, similar to egr valves in other cars. You know anything about the oil separator or is that the same as the ccv?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Great info. I've been reading up and I'm thinking the roughness is from something called the oil separator valve, similar to egr valves in other cars. You know anything about the oil separator or is that the same as the ccv?
    I'm interested in this too, I'm going to be replacing all the top side gaskets and have thought about just replacing the CCV WIIT. Not something you want to do again later for sure.

My Cars
    2001 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by 951Dreams View Post
    I'm interested in this too, I'm going to be replacing all the top side gaskets and have thought about just replacing the CCV WIIT. Not something you want to do again later for sure.
    I've ordered the oil separator valve and am having it put on. Will do the ccv next. Anyone ever just pop the cap off the ccv an replace the diaphragm? Probably tough to do where it is

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Here's a written DIY, but I'm pretty sure there's one out there with pictures - I just can't find it.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/439586
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    00 BMW 750
    I have a fully functional MK2 that was removed from my car with 93k miles along with the trimble. Let me know if you need one.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    CCV is behind the intake, OSV is behind the timing chain.

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E31/BMW_M60...entilation.htm
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    These $100 parts can add up fast. It is worth googling the part number; sometimes Amazon or eBay have better prices plus free 2 day shipping. I have bought a lot of stuff from FCP Euro but their non-expedited shipping can be pretty slow. There is a thread from the last ~two week on here about ppl's opinions/experiences (search for something like "fast seller").

I get Mobil 1 from Amazon.

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    FYI MKIII is CD-ROM. MKIV is DVD based and can run CD-ROM too.
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740il

It's the same and is located on the back side of your intake manifold. Your fuel pressure regulator hose connects to it. If you find there are no crack in it, you can choose to just replace the diaphragm and spring it in for just a few dollars compared to ~100.00 otherwise.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Although the OP is probably talking about the PCV on the rear of the Inlet Manifold, an OSV isn't a PCV - it is an Oil Separator Valve and it lives inside the timing covers at the front of the engine. More info here:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/BMW_M6...entilation.htm
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    E38, E39, 2020 GRACHE
    Quote Originally Posted by ComfyGuy View Post
    It's the same and is located on the back side of your intake manifold. Your fuel pressure regulator hose connects to it. If you find there are no crack in it, you can choose to just replace the diaphragm and spring it in for just a few dollars compared to ~100.00 otherwise.
    Show me where you can buy JUST the bmw diaphragm and spring. you have to buy the whole ccv for $115.

My Cars
    1998 740il, 2011 F250 6.
    Any chance you have smoke tested to check for vacuum leaks? The 98 I had liked to overcompensate for vacuum leaks and run rich (adaptations) which can lead to taking out the cats. On mine the air intake manifold was leaking even after timms was her fix, if that’s the case you will need to pull the intake manifold and replace the seals under, front and back- some folks suggest doing the valley pan and knock sensors while you are in there