Thread: Passenger side ATF

My Cars
    99 328i

Passenger side ATF

1998 528i. Ive searched, and maybe I'm that bad...my power steering reservoir is going empty which is pretty common I know, but the hose that I replaced (high pressure hose out of reservoir) didn't seem to fix it...but that's on the drivers side. What am I looking for on the passenger side with the power steering system? I'm putting fluid in there once a week...its starting to be more expensive than the crappy gas mielage I expected lol

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Both hoses to the reservoir are low pressure. They generally seep oil from lose hose clamps. That's just enough to create a mess, not enough of a leak to require frequent refills.

If you have a leak on the passenger side, it's either the high pressure cooling loop or the steering rack seals.

The rack seals generally only fail when the protective rubber boot has been torn for a long time and the shaft rusts.

The 'cooling loop' is a 'U' shaped flexible hose that inexplicably goes from the power steering pump across the bottom of the engine and then back to the rack. It's mounted like that to allow engine movement and the length helps absorb pressure pulses from the pump. It only provides incidental cooling. Its position makes it vulnerable to road damage, especially if you are missing the under-engine cover.
    Last edited by djb2; 03-19-2018 at 01:26 AM.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by TrboH22 View Post
    1998 528i. Ive searched, and maybe I'm that bad...my power steering reservoir is going empty which is pretty common I know, but the hose that I replaced (high pressure hose out of reservoir) didn't seem to fix it...but that's on the drivers side. What am I looking for on the passenger side with the power steering system? I'm putting fluid in there once a week...its starting to be more expensive than the crappy gas mielage I expected lol
    The high-pressure lines are the two thin lines coming off the steering rack. One leads from the PS pump to the rack, the other leads out of the rack back up to the coil behind the radiator. These are the ones that are under extreme pressure and if they blow, you will lose power steering functionality instantly.

The hoses attached to the bottom of the reservoir are not under much pressure at all, regardless of the labeling. They can drip leak from where they attach because the clamps don't seem to keep them good and tight, but judging from your description, you need to remove the undertray and crawl under your car and check the lines from the rack.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_0723

Oops, djb2 must've posted while I was typing.....

My Cars
    99 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by djb2 View Post
    Both hoses to the reservoir are low pressure. They generally seep oil from lose hose clamps. That's just enough to create a mess, not enough of a leak to require frequent refills.

If you have a leak on the passenger side, it's either the high pressure cooling loop or the steering rack seals.

The rack seals generally only fail when the protective rubber boot has been torn for a long time and the shaft rusts.

The 'cooling loop' is a 'U' shaped flexible hose that inexplicably goes from the power steering pump across the bottom of the engine and then back to the rack. It's mounted like that to allow engine movement and the length helps absorb pressure pulses from the pump. It only provides incidental cooling. Its position makes it vulnerable to road damage, especially if you are missing the under-engine cover.
    Sorry I couldn't figure how to find my own post to reply. It must be coming from the rack, there's no fluid really at all to speak of on the drivers side, but I am filling the reservoir non stop, which leads me to believe the high pressure hose out of the power steering pump must be the culprit. Will check into it this weekend!! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    There s/b a giant puddle under the car, unless you still have the belly pan in place. If so, remove it to search for the leak.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    I've been down this road a few times with power steering rack issues. I also had the ATF leak on the passenger side. In my case, it was the rack seals. It's worth noting that boots attached to the rack will fill with fuild when the seals fail. Might be worth checking those areas to help pinpoint your problem.

James

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    This guy just posted a similar issue on an e46. I was surprised to see how much ATF fluid poured out of the PS rack rubber boots when he undid the boot.

https://youtu.be/iwCoomDpICI