Thread: Headlights shut off while driving

My Cars
    1989 535i

Headlights shut off while driving

Hey guys. The other night I was driving home and my headlights and parkers shut off (not sure about rear lights, I was too focused on the front) and I've read up about it most likely being the LKM. I didn't notice the lights were out since I was in a well lit area but I noticed pretty fast when I went down a dark road. I flashed the high beams for moment and the low beams instantly came back on and stayed on the rest of the trip, so that just makes me suspect the LKM even more.

I'd rather not have this happen again on a dimly lt road with corners so I want to replace the LKM. Is there any difference between models? I have a 535 but I can get a cheap LKM from a 520 or 525 at a wreckers, it's just they're quite far away so I want to make sure it will be compatible with my model.

EDIT: Would the year also make a difference? I have a 1990 and I think the 520 and 525 are 1989 and 1993.
    Last edited by CarterH; 03-18-2018 at 06:31 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Probably same as on E32, parking lights http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/mu...stardRelay.htm
    Headlights: pull the LKM, remove the plastic cover from the LKM, insert the LKM again without the cover, squeeze the contacts of the relays inside the LKM, clean and rebend the contacts. here I have made a pic of the EURO LKM with 4 relays
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/847563/
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Thanks shogun. Resoldering makes me a little nervous since so far my DIY abilities have been pretty hit and miss. I didn't get any check control messages and only suspected the parkers were out but for all I know they were on but too dim for me to see reflecting off anything.

Are all LKMs interchangeable? I've found there were various versions. I have the exact part number for mine but it looks like my particular LKM was only on 535s and on some E32s. The part number is 61 35 8 350 347 if it helps.

EDIT: I also had a look at a pic of my fusebox and almost all the relays are yellow. I suspect a PO has been a little lazy about getting the correct relays.
    Last edited by CarterH; 03-18-2018 at 07:10 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I assume you have a EURO spec car = with a LKM with a relay for rear fog lights. That is different from the US version which has 1 relay less, as no rear foglights. You can use the LKM, that was used on many E34 and E32 730/5 M30 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...47+&series=E34
    Then there was in Europe version the LKM-B that has less features, but also can be used, LKM-L = for luxury has the warning system and controls the bulbs in warm and cold condition, the B version not.
    Then from a certain year the so-called mustard relay function was incorporated into the LKM, and instead of the mustard relay there is only a simple relay in with just metal bridges.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Mine should be a Euro spec since the Australian versions of the E34 are essentially the same as European models I think.

Out of curiosity, what warnings does the LKM-L do exactly? What does it do differently from the CCM? I might upgrade to an L since I've seen a few online.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    LKM works in combination with CCM and LKM is only for lights = low + hi beam, front and rear fog lights. No other relays inside.
    Difference between L and B=basic is, B only can detect a defective bulb when ignition and light is switched on, L can also detect defective lights/bulbs when lights are not switched on, but ignition is on.
    For conversion from LKM=B to LKM - L you also need a different relay K7 = Standlichtkaltabfragerelais, the B has a simple bridge relay in K7 position.
    Somewhere from 1992 or so the K7 function was incoporated into the newer LKM-L.
    Pinout LKM-L and also LKM-B and CCM I posted here http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1175396/

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Thanks, I'll look into doing this. One concern I have is that I don't have front fog lights, so would the LKM-L cause the CCM to say there's a fault? I've been considering getting fog lights but also feared the CCM having issues with it since the car never came with them on delivery.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    No idea, you have to test, maybe the CCM on your car is designed for this spec w/o front foglights

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Thanks for the help shogun. To be safe I'll just go with the LKM-B version (it's also ECE if that makes any difference) since I couldn't quite understand what the K7 relay is.

I had a solid two days of the headlights working but today the low beams went on and off for a second then went off for good. I did get out and checked the other lights and found the tails, license plate and parkers were all functional as were the high beams, so it's looking like it's definitely the LKM. The fact that the CCM didn't notice the dip beams go out also backs up that theory. I'll consider soldering but I might buy a cheap backup LKM just incase it doesn't go well.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Resoldering is easy. When I got my car I noticed some weird wiring with the fuses and lights, turns out one circuit in the LKM was bad so left and right was bridged. I read here or somewhere how to resolder the connections and I did it about 8 months ago and haven't had a problem since.

Mind you I'm used to finding dry joints in electronics as a hobby and some basic a/c repair for my old job, and you can almost solder everything with a good hakka soldering station.

E: You reminded me to maybe one day have good look at why my fog lights don't work.
    Last edited by fo3; 03-21-2018 at 09:31 AM.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    I'll have a go at soldering once I pick up a back up unit. At least then I'd have a spare if it works out.

Did you have trouble getting the LKM out? I tried pulling it out today and it's really stuck in there. It felt like I was going to either break it or take the entire fusebox up with it, is there a trick to it? I'd be a lot less squeamish about it if it wasn't my daily car and my pride and joy.

Your fogs could also be the LKM or even just the fuses. The switch might not even be hooked up, I've heard of that before too.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    yes, you have to pull really hard to get the LKM out, or remove the CCM before, then you have a better grip.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Yeah, it's really stuck in there, you have to pull really hard with a bit of L-R wiggling. I think when I did mine I ended up pulling the cover box off the PCB! Then I had to lever out the base somehow.

With my fogs I'm pretty sure it must be the bulbs themselves. It could be the LKM which is why your post reminded me.
    I want to check for volts at the bulbs first and work back from there.
    Like you though I had a quick go at gaining access to the part (removing the blanking plates under the bumper) but they seem stuck, and I don't want to break bits of exterior trims and plastics right now, as parts take some time to find/get and I need the car on the road without fogs hanging down. E: It's not like I would ever need to use the fogs, it's just something on the list to make everything work properly one day
    Last edited by fo3; 03-22-2018 at 08:27 AM.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Yikes, I don't like the sound of this. It feels really stuck in thereand I swear the fusebox was moving with it! I'll try tugging and wiggling it in a few directions and see what happens. I don't have time to do it right now since I'll be away from the car for a while so I'll do it when I get back, I've also got a used LKM on order with the same part number too.

Out of curiosity with your fogs, do you get any check control messages about it? I've been considering installing fogs too but I'm dreading the CCM gonging at me if I decide to disconnect them in the future. I've found the plugs for them so it will be all plug and play at least.

There's also a guide on replacing the bulbs, I think it's similar to the headlights where you take off the cap and there's a metal clip that holds the bulb in place.

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    remove the LKM, reflow the solder joints on the printed circuit board, and be done with it. Common, and totally disconcerting, problem.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterH View Post
    Out of curiosity with your fogs, do you get any check control messages about it? I've been considering installing fogs too but I'm dreading the CCM gonging at me if I decide to disconnect them in the future. I've found the plugs for them so it will be all plug and play at least.
    Nope, never heard/read anything from the CCM about they are on fault. The CCM works, I got low coolant error when that was low, headlights on message when left on, trans program error when battery was stuffed. But I have non working fogs and never got a message about it.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by fo3 View Post
    Nope, never heard/read anything from the CCM about they are on fault. The CCM works, I got low coolant error when that was low, headlights on message when left on, trans program error when battery was stuffed. But I have non working fogs and never got a message about it.
    Interesting, I might get the fog lights installed then since I can get them relatively cheap.

What's the part number on your LKM if you don't mind my asking? I've read that certain LKMs have the "LIGHTS ON?" feature and mine is a LKM B, so I'm curious if you have an LKM-L.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    This warning "Lights on?" comes on my E32 when light is on and I switch off engine, pull the key and open the door. that is apparently controlled by the CCM, mentioned here in the relair DIY for the CCM
    http://www.e34-welt.de/tips_tricks/R...0e34%20e32.pdf
    I have a LKM-L installed.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Yeah, I get "Lights on?" coming on in my E34 when headlights is on and I switched off engine and pulled the key . Nothing from the non working fogs though even if that switch is on.
    LKM-B 61.35-1379 322
    CCM 6135-1379379

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    foglights are not on with foglight switch on and ignition key off/ignition off. I just tested it.

On the LKM pins

32 fog light right, front
    33 fog light right, rear
    34 fog light left, rear
    35 F8 15A for rear fog light

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1175396/