Thread: Trying to figure out my best options currently

My Cars
    2014 F30 335i Stock

Trying to figure out my best options currently

Hello. I am new here. Semi. Well I was looking into purchasing a 2001-2003 E39. Checked on out yesterday and it had 6 leaks, bushing were gone. It was bad. I am specifically looking at the 540i's. But people are telling me the M62 engine is not reliable and causes constant problems. I know about the timing chain and guide around the 150k mark but other than that are they just neglected? I REALLY enjoyed the power of the one I drove yesterday to check out. So my question is: Would it be best to keep looking for one that is not neglected and trashed or should I look into a 530i and start learning how to Turbocharge?

Please let me know your advice I am 100% serious about learning and doing this. So please don't think I am wasting your time! Thank you in advance for replies

My Cars
    2001 525it
    It's always best to find the best condition car and that can take awhile. The common v-8 engine repairs are reseal the intake manifold, valley pan gasket. Valve cover and upper timing cover gaskets, timing chain rails,the lowest mileage I've seen for the timing chain stuff is 106k. Clearly the 6 cylinder like my 525 is not so powerful to say the least. But it's fine for me, I do love the v-8 power, but working in the industry for a lot of years, I like the simple six engine. If you were going to turbo the six then I would just go with the v-8. The turbo mod just sounds like a pain in the ass.

My Cars
    2014 F30 335i Stock
    It's a pain in the ass just in general?

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    There is nothing wrong with the M62 other than people driving them into the ground and then selling them to unsuspecting shlubs that have no idea that the timing chain job done proper is far more than the car is worth.

If you are already thinking forced induction the M54b30 loves boost, and a 12psi twinscrew kit from ESS Tuning will let you stomp stock M5's while keeping fantastic fuel economy.

Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    2014 F30 335i Stock
    I have no idea what you said. What is forced induction? And is the M54 the engine that comes with the 530i?

EDIT: I have an option for both which one do you think I should go with??

Edit 2: Is it a bad idea to put a turbo in an automatic car? Should it be manual or?
    Last edited by SentinelFPS; 03-18-2018 at 06:27 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Turbo will smoke a stock automatic trans and building the auto is very expensive. An intercooled twin screw supercharger probably also makes enough torque to smoke a stock auto trans. Plus the ESS intercooled TS kit is recommended for lower compression motors and dropping CR with a thicker HG adds expense and labor. If doing that, go turbo since turbo power is greater and more easily regulated up or down.

A stock auto might live behind a non intercooled centrifugal but that SC is not a great match for an auto since it makes full boost only at redline and very little boost in the low to midrange where most people drive most of the time. The auto will always be up shifting, dropping rpm, and keeping you away from the added power potential unless you floor it.