Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod knock.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Randy, is there anything you don't do at your shop? Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    On the M/S52, #5 is the problem child because it is the least cooled cylinder. Most prone to cracking, detonation, etc.

Didn't know you had an RF30.

/.randy

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by ProductUser View Post
    Randy, is there anything you don't do at your shop? Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    I'll try anything once...

Ron Stygar once took a xmsn drain plug to a shop he regularly visited to counterbore & tap for a temperature probe, the machinist said it couldn't be done__no way to hold it.

I didn't know any better, so I cut a 2" cube of Delrin, drilled and tapped it to hold the plug and gave Ron the finished piece when I saw him at HC that year.

Since I didn't know it couldn't be done, I was able to go ahead and do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    On the M/S52, #5 is the problem child because it is the least cooled cylinder. Most prone to cracking, detonation, etc.

Didn't know you had an RF30.
    There had to be a reason, and now I know what it is (glad you're back!). It's also the cylinder showing the most wear__usually__on the S-54 too, not surprising given the similar block layout.

I picked that mill-drill on the basis of table travel; it was the absolute cheapest one with enough x-y travel that I could do the engine-turning on the Healey's instrument panel with a single setup. There was no way I was going to attempt it without a positive index__OR like the guys in the 20s & 30s that used a hand-drill, a wooden dowel and valve-grinding compound! I used Cratex abrasive rods, 2" long to not flex, and frequently "dressed" the end with 320 sandpaper. Consistent dwell and contact pressure counts for a lot too, but I didn't want it so perfect to NOT look like it was done by hand.

Even Gerry Coker, the man that designed the Healey Hundred (AND Ford's 2-way wagon tailgate in the 60s) complimented it; he wanted to do it for the 100, except that "it had already been done by Duesenberg, Bugatti & Mercedes."

Hi-res: http://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/var/a...g?m=1304277055

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    I don't know why, but #5 is the problem child; loose plug, spitting connecting rods, or just worse wear on the big-end bearings.

If let go long enough, you'd have had to resort to this (yep, it's #5)...

Spot-facing the top of the plug hole to restore a flat sealing surface

Heli-Coil thread insert (required two__2__coils due to length of thread, second coil being trimmed)

After spot-facing, this cylinder will always require the use of a sparkplug indexing washer to reset the electrode depth

I was very apprehensive on torqueing the new plug into #5,after a few hundred miles of aluminum thread abuse, seemed ok, maybe the extra Shark rpm loosens#5?,harmonics?

My Cars
    98 Z3, 02 Z3MC, 07 Z4MC
    Darn it. I wish I had read this thread earlier. I had an S52 sitting at my house until last month. I took it California to swap into a different car. If you decide to do it yourself I have just about every tool you could need in the area. And a lift in my garage. As long as it only takes a couple days you are more than welcome to use it. I live in Cave Creek.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12