Thread: Garagistic Shifter bushing kit install

My Cars
    87' e30 325is

Garagistic Shifter bushing kit install

Hey everyone,

So I recently picked up the Garagistic delrin shifter bushing kit as well as their dssr and I just wanted to see if I could get some insight to the process before I begin. I'm confident with most of the steps including the bitch clip however I cant find really any info on the rear carrier bushing. The e36 diy on pelican is spot on for most of the steps however based off Garagistic's install sheet the rear carrier bushing in the e30 is completely different. I was under there swapping in a z3 short shift not long ago and I seem to remember the back of rear bushing area to be completely inaccessible with the exhaust and drive shaft cover/heatshield. The Garagistic installation sheet doesn't mention anything about dropping the exhaust or driveshaft cover to reach the 13mm nut so I wanted to see if any of you might be familiar with the process first before I get the car up on jackstands. Basically I just want to know if its possible to get to that 13mm nut without dropping anything.

My Cars
    e30s
    it is possible but it's a tight fit.. you gotta reach up there and feel more then you can actually see it. When I had mine installed I had dropped the rear of the exhaust and let it hang and be supported by something. Then I dropped my driveshaft only becuase I needed a new guibo and swung it out of the way. then dropped the transmission support to let the transmission tip down a bit to give me room to work. We put a new shifter bushing in then installed the DSSR etc. and in reverse order installed everything back.

You will find the balancer thing that surrounds the guibo may rub the DSSR while driving. I have this happening when I shift into 5th gear and push on the shifter. I left it figuring either the balancer will wear down or the DSSR kuckle will eventually.

My Cars
    1998 328i, 1985 325e
    Ceekers, were you able to install a DSSR with a harmonic balancer on the transmission output flange? What car do you have? I thought that was impossible but if you did it, do you have any pictures by chance?

I need to get into that area on my '85 325e to change the shift coupler and I'm dreading it. I think I'll have to pull the driveshaft and dip the rear of the transmission down as far as I can to get around the harmonic balancer. I read that the HB is unnecessary and if that's true, I wish I would have cut it off when I had my tranny out a couple of years ago. Anyway, I also have that black, sheet metal shifter bracket to deal with. I'll have to loosen it up too. Like I said, I'm dreading it.