Thread: Hysterical Deafness

My Cars
    99 740i

Hysterical Deafness

Disclaimer: I'm not employed by Lubro-Moly, Liqui-Moly or Seafoam, nor by anyone who sells their products.

I had typically added a half can of Seafoam prior to an oil change, anywhere from 15 minutes to a few weeks prior. My 1999 740i had the half second gurgle/rumble at start up from cold, and an annoyingly loud HVL tapping sound at idle, either cold or warm. Numerous applications of Seafoam seemed to have no effect. Just before starting an interior spruce-up project, I had added another half can of Seafoam, ran the engine for 20 miles, or so, and parked the car in the garage with the battery disconnected. About two months later, after the project concluded, I also added a 500ml can of Lubro-Moly Proline Engine Flush, started the engine, and, OMG, had no noise at start-up. It would seem that the extended contact with Seafoam may have cleaned up the valves behind the VANOS units, or perhaps that was caused by just opening a can of the Lubro-Mony in the vicinity. So, I drained and re-filled the engine with my normal Mobil1 0-40, and I haven't had that pesky noise at start up for three weeks now.
    But wait, there's more....two days ago I added 1.3 cans (the recommended amount) of Liqui-Moly 20004 Hydraulic Lifter Additive, and it appears that the HVL sound has been seriously reduced.
    Frankly, I'm not sure I believe these results any more than you guys do; I'd more easily believe the hysterical deafness explanation. But stay tuned. I'll report the "long term" results in two weeks.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 95 740iL
    Liqui Moly: I started using their products about 3 years ago after extensive research, reading reviews, customer testimonials, etc. Then I ran the Liqui Moly topic by BMW, Porsche and Mercedes mechanics that I know and the owner of a German auto parts store that has been in business since the early 80's. All knowledgeable guys who live and breath all things "German Cars".

They all agreed that Liqui Moly products out perform all others and in some cases like anti-friction and ceramic technologies ... their products are the only ones that work well enough to offer to the public.

Anyway, I use their engine flush when I pick up new/old cars to restore, Cera Tec, MOS2 and their synthetic motor oils. There is still a lot of their products I have not tried yet, but will defiantly be trying them soon.

I have a few big 4 and 5 liter V8's that I've used the MOS2 in and my MPG has increased 3 - 6 mpg in some very heavy German cars. I've shared this with my friends who drive big heavy Mercedes & BMW's and they all report back like little kids who just found some hidden money!

Like wyshyvanuk: I am not employed by Liqui Moly

BTW: I stopped by their booth at SEMA last year. I hit it off with one of their reps and he showed me some examples of the research and testing that they do. You walk away absolutely amazed with a confident feeling that you are using products that actually do what they say they do!

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    So this is just a synthetic motor oil you are using? Or are we talking about some additive that’s added to the fuel tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    I'm always hesitant on using this stuff. I used some similar stuff, restore I think, on two different cars about 10 years back. Both died of engine failures before the next oil change. Neither had major issues before, just used some oil and were older engines. It's hard to remember details, but I think one burned a valve, the other started burning so much oil it clogged the cat and killed the engine. It could have just been random chance, but I had both cars for years without major issues, and within 1000 or so miles of adding "stuff" both died.

Not saying I have any experience with the stuff your talking about, but man does adding anything make me nervous anymore. But if you can in fact bet a bump in MPG, you got my attention. Anyone else used this stuff?
    Last edited by 951Dreams; 03-19-2018 at 03:20 AM.

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5
    The thing is.. there are several additives for fuel and several additives for oil.

Nowhere does it say which one does what or offer a comparison.

Does anyone have more data?

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Quote Originally Posted by 951Dreams View Post
    I'm always hesitant on using this stuff. I used some similar stuff, restore I think, on two different cars about 10 years back. Both died of engine failures before the next oil change...
    Way back in the day, had a similar experience with "Prolong" or whatever the as seen on TV stuff was called. 3 different cars (2 of my friends and 1 of mine) and both had oil that just evaporated after using that stuff. Check the dipstick a few weeks later and didn't even register on the dipstick.

An old school trick to flushing an engine is to add ~1qt of ATF and drive it for maybe 100-200 miles before an oil change. Just be sure to drive it easy and not gun it everywhere you go. Seafoam in the oil should do the same thing.

My Cars
    2009 F02 740Li
    I have used some Australian developed products that seemed to do the trick but my X3 developed a rattle the day before I was selling it so off to the store I went and added some Liqui Moly and bingo noise gone!

My question is for my 1996 750il I was thinking of adding Liqui Moly engine flush prior to a fresh change with Penrite HPR10 10w 50 Fully Synthetic. She has 150,000km on the clock and has been well serviced in the last 6 years by previous owner but didn't driven much. Penrite is an Australian oil company that has a very good reputation since 1926 but would there be any advantage to adding MoS2 friction reducer?
    2009 F02 740Li

My Cars
    are slow
    Liqui Moly 2020 works exceptionally well at stopping leaks in inconvenient locations (i.e upper oil pan and valve stem steals)

My Cars
    94 325ic, 95 740iL
    The main reason I shared my personal experience with some of the Liqui Moly products was to illustrate that I did the research first, then read the reviews and many testimonials, and most importantly ... went to professionals that see first hand what the Liqui Moly products do and what most other products don't do. Reminder: my feedback from these well chosen professionals concluded that the Liqui Moly products are the only ones they are confident in recommending and selling themselves. Once I receive that kind of endorsement of a product, I'll give it a try!

I think it's worth perusing their website to initially find out what they offer and what the products do. Then go from there.

https://www.liqui-moly.com/

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5
    I appreciate that, but the problem is several of the products seem to be... interchangeable with no data as to what you should be using.

My Cars
    99 740i
    Two weeks later, and still no rumble at start up from cold. The loud tapping from the passenger side engine bank is still gone. I'm declaring an interim victory. I'll be back again after a few more weeks.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 95 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by wyshyvanuk View Post
    Two weeks later, and still no rumble at start up from cold. The loud tapping from the passenger side engine bank is still gone. I'm declaring an interim victory. I'll be back again after a few more weeks.
    Way to go! keep us posted