Thread: No signal from alternator Increase Battery Discharge

My Cars
    08 550i 05 GSXR750 97 M3

No signal from alternator Increase Battery Discharge

Me and my 2008 550i Msport have a love hate relationship. I love the car when she’s acting right.... but dam she’s been acting up more then acting right these last 6 months.

Recently I’ve had my alternator and battery replaced. Initially this solved my charging issue.... but now I have a gremlin. Basically now sometimes I’ll get in the car and the clock needs to be set and it will say “increased battery discharge” If I keep driving It will eventually kill the battery and die. However if I turn it off and back on problem goes away. Alternator starts charging error goes away.

I had a tech pull the codes... and there was one that said. “No signal from alternator” So my question is... is this the voltage regulator failing intermittently? Or the stupid a$$ unessasary “IBS” failing?

Bought the car with 78k.... now at 108k and have replaced nearly every seal, clutch, front bushings, flywheel, alternator, radiator, all in the last year. My old E36 M3 was a reliable car... thought this lacking turbo’s would be too but boy was I wrong.

I did also have the battery coded to the car hoping that would fix. No luck.

I have the same car - And just went through failing alternator, replacing alternator experience.

Did you put in a re manufactured alternator? I did and had voltage spikes about 2 weeks after that was wiping out my modules causing them to randomly reset. I was able to access secret dash menu to monitor voltage real time while driving to watch the problem happen. Replaced alternator and that fixed the issue. I would start by accessing the menu and looking at your values.

Some people just unplug the IBS sensor at the neg bat terminal and allow full charging - the IBS wakes itself up to check voltages like every 14 seconds or something ridiculous and that can actually cause the increased battery discharge". I would probably make that my last resort and try to figure out if the draw is real, if the car isn't going to sleep for some reason etc.
    Last edited by tcdesignguy; 03-19-2018 at 09:41 AM.

My Cars
    1997 540i /6
    I went thru the exact same thing with my 2006 550i. I unplugged the ibs and havent had an issue since. I have debating on buying a new ibs but havent done so.

My Cars
    08 550i 05 GSXR750 97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdesignguy View Post
    I have the same car - And just went through failing alternator, replacing alternator experience.

Did you put in a re manufactured alternator? I did and had voltage spikes about 2 weeks after that was wiping out my modules causing them to randomly reset. I was able to access secret dash menu to monitor voltage real time while driving to watch the problem happen. Replaced alternator and that fixed the issue. I would start by accessing the menu and looking at your values.

Some people just unplug the IBS sensor at the neg bat terminal and allow full charging - the IBS wakes itself up to check voltages like every 14 seconds or something ridiculous and that can actually cause the increased battery discharge". I would probably make that my last resort and try to figure out if the draw is real, if the car isn't going to sleep for some reason etc.
    Thanks for the replies all. I did get a cheap reman alternator from Napa with a lifetime warranty. It charges fine but I’m pretty confident now it’s the worthless IBS telling the alternator to turn off or down, and then failing to turn it back on. I Checked for draws while off with a multimeter and know that’s not the issue.

Car has died on me while driving now three times only to be fine again for several days after a jump or pop start. I had a lot of driving to do over the last week and learned that the A/C will actually slow down on its own a minute or two before it will start to light up from the battery drain. I can turn the car off & back on real fast, even pop start it (manual) right back up and be fine again for days. It seems to happen more often in hotter then normal conditions. Basically stop and go, or driving really fast.

I see this as a safety issue for yea one of those times systems like stability control and abs started shutting off I was driving hard.

Going to unplug the IBS right now and bet it eliminates the problem. Will post back after my next long drive.

These type of unnecessary issues REALLY turns a lot people off, and now me to the BMW brand.

UPDATE: Disconnected the ibs, and first day was without issue, then alternator completely failed on the 2nd day only giving 10.7 volts after driving for awhile. Then to make matters worse got the car towed to the indy, and by that time he calls me to say its charging. Anybody want to buy this POS
    Last edited by gixxerhoff750; 04-16-2018 at 05:17 PM.