Thread: 97/98 540 ABS sensors same as later models?

My Cars
    328i

97/98 540 ABS sensors same as later models?

Ordered a set of ABS sensors Oreiley's and the ones I got are different than the old ones. The little locators are different. Just wondering if the later ones were like this or if they're all suppose to be the same.

https://i.imgur.com/NMRwnMx.jpg (large picture)

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I would replace ANY and ALL BMW sensors with only Genuine BMW OE or OEM Replacements,
    Less drama with fitment and electronic anomalies. Those shouldn't fit, due to a different configuration.
    Try these:https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/54...+speed+sensor+

My Cars
    328i
    I can tell that they won't fit. I'm wanting to know if their system is wrong when it stated it fit all models of E39, or if they flat out sent me the wrong part.

I would love to buy OEM stuff, but I can't justify $4~500 in parts that "might" fix a problem on my <$1000 car.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    realoem.com, look up your car, look up your part, go buy the right part.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    E39 535i
    Things like wheel speed sensors and engine control sensors you really want to go genuine OEM.
    Yeah they are going to cost you a little more than aftermarket, but you can be sure they'll work. They're still cheap enough if you shop around, you don't have to buy them from BMW. Use RealOEM and shop using the part number to be more certain of correct fitment.
    Anything else for sure I'd roll the dice on a cheaper component.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Too many
    In your case the production date for your car may be the critical factor. Realoem indicates a part number change effective 9/1998, so that could be the reason for the mismatch.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    00 740iS
    84 635 (euro)
    88 M6
    84 745i
    88 325iX
    92 850i (6 spd)

My Cars
    328i
    I've already tried looking on realoem and the only parts I can find say they fit '95~03...BUT I'm currently only in the middle of the front RIGHT axle assembly and I cannot seem to find the depiction of that particular assembly on realoem.

The part I've removed is the sensor on the front right. I haven't pulled the other three yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coupenut View Post
    In your case the production date for your car may be the critical factor. Realoem indicates a part number change effective 9/1998, so that could be the reason for the mismatch.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Can you point out where you see that? My car is 07/96...but all the sensors I was able to find on realoem said they worked from '95 to '03.

My Cars
    E39 99 528iT
    There are 2 different types of wheel speed sensors. Changeover date is BMW build date - 9/1998.
    The first type is an inductive device and the wiring plugs and sockets are black.
    The second type is a hall effect device and the plugs and sockets are pale blue.
    They are not interchangeable.

See item #7 below.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0255
    RonR

99 528iT M52TU 5HP19
    RHD Euro Spec

My Cars
    328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie528iT View Post
    There are 2 different types of wheel speed sensors. Changeover date is BMW build date - 9/1998.
    The first type is an inductive device and the wiring plugs and sockets are black.
    The second type is a hall effect device and the plugs and sockets are pale blue.
    They are not interchangeable.

See item #7 below.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0255
    Thanks! Are left and right the same?

My Cars
    E39 99 528iT
    When you look at realoem.com you will see the number required for each part number.
    At the top of the list is a column headed QTY. This is the Quantity of that part number fitted to each vehicle.
    There are another 2 columns headed From and Up To
    This tells you how many of them are fitted to each vehicle, in this case - 2, and the BMW build dates that part number applies to.
    So yes, L & R are the same in this case.
    RonR

99 528iT M52TU 5HP19
    RHD Euro Spec

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    I can tell that they won't fit. I'm wanting to know if their system is wrong when it stated it fit all models of E39, or if they flat out sent me the wrong part.

I would love to buy OEM stuff, but I can't justify $4~500 in parts that "might" fix a problem on my <$1000 car.
    That's the problem, relying on a parts distributor such as O'Reilly's to supply BMW parts,
    instead of a distributor of quality BMW Replacement Parts, such as:https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/54...997&m=20&e=188

My Cars
    328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie528iT View Post
    When you look at realoem.com you will see the number required for each part number.
    At the top of the list is a column headed QTY. This is the Quantity of that part number fitted to each vehicle.
    There are another 2 columns headed From and Up To
    This tells you how many of them are fitted to each vehicle, in this case - 2, and the BMW build dates that part number applies to.
    So yes, L & R are the same in this case.
    Thanks for clarifying that. I find their interface a little confusing and scattered...I thought they would be the same but wasn't 100% certain.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    That's the problem, relying on a parts distributor such as O'Reilly's to supply BMW parts,
    instead of a distributor of quality BMW Replacement Parts, such as:https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/54...997&m=20&e=188
    I get that it bothers you that I'm buying cheap parts for a car that has 300,000 miles on it, leaks everywhere, and is plagued by electrical gremlins, but unless you're going to buy the parts for me it's something you'll have to live with. The car isn't worth it. It's like putting granite counters in a FEMA trailer.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that. I find their interface a little confusing and scattered...I thought they would be the same but wasn't 100% certain.

- - - Updated - - -

I get that it bothers you that I'm buying cheap parts for a car that has 300,000 miles on it, leaks everywhere, and is plagued by electrical gremlins, but unless you're going to buy the parts for me it's something you'll have to live with. The car isn't worth it. It's like putting granite counters in a FEMA trailer.
    Haha! Funny that you say that about putting granite counters on FEMA trailers.... Many years ago, I worked at a place called Bickford Broadcast Vehicles, we built all kinds of communications vehicles for everyone, news agencies, research agencies, the FBI, CIA, NSA, the Red Cross, and FEMA. After 9/11, we got the orders for 30 high end rv’s to be converted into FEMA emergency crisis buses, to provide instant on site internet and 911 coverage for up to two counties a piece. The FEMA director went to the largest RV dealer in the world, out there in Texas, figures.... and picked out all the buses for the conversions, he didn’t bother looking at specs, money concerns didn’t matter, it was of no concern, he wasn’t paying for it, we all did. When we got the first 15 buses, we had to gut them all out, some where middle of the road spec’d rv’s, about 18 of the 30 buses we gutted before retrofitting were all out high end rv’s with nothing but the best, yep, including granite countertops.....

And as to buying cheap parts for an old BMW, worth a thousand bucks, it doesn’t matter how many miles are on board, the fact is, is that you own it, obviously there is some glimmer in your eye as to the love for the particular classic BMW, in our case, E39’s. I have a friend who has a 540 with over 335,000 miles on it, but you wouldn’t know it at all until you looked at the odometer. We are all enthusiastically tied to our E39’s, well, at least most of us are.
    I will be putting as many miles as I can on the ones that I own, and they always get the best parts when they need them. If you go on with what you’ve said, then your car will have nothing but a crappy problematic existence, cheap bad parts will always break early in life, constantly needing more attention, what is the purpose of just placing bandaids when you should be addressing these things better, and not having to constantly patch things up? The way you start new threads, what with this kind of attitude and approach to these things, the freakin’ site will be needing a ton more bandwidth. If you don’t care to keep the car in top notch shape, why even have it? That’s what Honda’s and Toyota’s are for. Another thing, in a site full of enthusiasts for the E39, your attitude and approach will not garner enthusiastic help much. Sure it’s your money buying the parts, but it’s everyones time on here you are also wasting.... just an opinion.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    328i
    You wouldn’t believe (or probably you would) how many storie like that I’ve heard. They said the order came in to just buy what was on the lot and ship it off...cost and trim didn’t matter.

I get what you’re saying but I’m not going to have a lot invested in this car once I’m done...this is just here to satisfy my itch to tinker and have a manual transmission car to driver periodically. More or less a placeholder. The more I spend on it the less I’ll have to spend on the car I want next year.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Thanks for explaining it to him Snotty, but he doesn't consider himself as an enthusiast,
    so he doesn't see the point.

OP,
    As for it bothering me that you prefer cheap, low quality parts- I don't really care.
    My concern is that I am giving the correct option to quickly and correctly repair your vehicle,
    while also insuring that you will not have to immediately, or not long afterwards,
    replace the same part all over again, due to a defective or low quality part.

My Cars
    00 540_6
    I disagree with a lot of the OG’s about what needs oem replacements, but abs sensors are not one of them.
    spend the money on the good ones, it SAVES money in the long run. I know because i have done it.
    Last edited by toybreaker; 03-24-2018 at 03:34 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    Allow me to add my .02

Buying parts at O'Reilly et all, I get it. There are times when $$$ just isn't available to fix a problem. Actually, fix is a little strong. Let's say Band-aid. Or the need to drive it today, not when parts arrive in a few days. As long as you are aware of issues others have had, by all means buy where ever you like.

There are a number of manufacturers that have stood the test of time. There are quite a few that also have shown quality issues. Much the same with online vendors. Additionally, when armed with the part #, some really good prices can be found.

That being said, back in the day I bought a full suspension kit off Ebay for my E28. Others on forums said that it was a waste of time & money. Turns out I needed to fully replace all the parts a year later. Live and learn.

I hope you don't have to deal with that learning curve.

Best of luck!

James

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    328i
    I guess we'll find out since the sensor going on the car is a generic eBay sensor that cost $8. Maybe I'll have to replace it in a year. For another $8. Maybe not. If it lasts a year it'll probably be longer than this car has before it goes to scrap anyway.