Thread: How Do You Guys Insure Your Roadies?

My Cars
    2000 BMW z3

How Do You Guys Insure Your Roadies?

2000 86k miles garage queen. Barely driven 1000 ...2000 miles per year.

Been thinking about this, a sticky with same title brought my question to bear.

Have it as a leisure car with Geico in a policy with 4 other cars, planning to off load 2. I don't know much about car insurance other than call around and shop for rates. Then I read about agreed value. Still reading some more on that. So do you guys this method? Does it save your bottom line some $$$? Are you sufficiently covered? Or what method do you have your insurance and by whom?
    I need y'alls help to stump out my insurance ignorance and know some of what I don't know about this.
    Premium is $288 yearly, just regular liability coverage.
    Last edited by Jay11; 03-17-2018 at 05:34 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I insure with Hagerty. 1998 M Roadster with 126K miles. Agreed value is $12K. Car is garaged. You must have a daily driver, but Hagerty has no mileage limitation and encourages you to drive your car for pleasure, not just to shows and in parades. $300K Bodily injury and property damage. PIP $250K per person per accident. Uninsured motorists $300K per accident. Comprehensive (other than collision) and collision. $0 deductible. Spare parts $750.

Cost of policy: $451.

I added Hagerty Plus Premium for $60. https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/ha...e-and-benefits

My total fee is thus $511--in New Jersey, the 14th highest average car insurance in the USA. Texas is 10th.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    2000 BMW z3
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    I insure with Hagerty. 1998 M Roadster with 126K miles. Agreed value is $12K. Car is garaged. You must have a daily driver, but Hagerty has no mileage limitation and encourages you to drive your car for pleasure, not just to shows and in parades. $300K Bodily injury and property damage. PIP $250K per person per accident. Uninsured motorists $300K per accident. Comprehensive (other than collision) and collision. $0 deductible. Spare parts $750.

Cost of policy: $451.

I added Hagerty Plus Premium for $60. https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/ha...e-and-benefits

My total fee is thus $511--in New Jersey, the 14th highest average car insurance in the USA. Texas is 10th.
    Thanx for the info. That coverage looks good from where I stand.

How was "Agreed value is $12K" determined?
    And what is "Spare parts $750." coverage? How does it work, what's covered?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay11 View Post
    How was "Agreed value is $12K" determined?
    And what is "Spare parts $750." coverage? How does it work, what's covered?
    When I called Hagerty to set up the insurance, they asked how much I thought the car was worth. I responded $12K. They agreed. I had to send two pictures--one front and one side.

The spare parts and tool coverage is listed in my policy under Coverage for Damage to your Auto. I had never understood what was covered until you asked and I read this link:
    https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/fr...olicy-features
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    My Z3M Roadster is insured on the same plan as the rest of my cars , boat and homeowners. The Z insurance is expensive (relative to my DD and wife’s Subaru Outback). The first quote was wrong (the did not quote the M). When I gave them the VIN, price went up $100 for 6 months.

But i I parked her in November, and dropped my collision/liability coverage since it was not being driven. Still carry comprehensive in case the storage unit burns down or she is stolen.

Going to bring home in the next 30 days or so, so will “turn on” the insurance again.

Greg
    Tally Ho

http://wcwebs.net/johnson
    1988 O'Day 322 sailboat - (unlimited mpg)

2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster (25 mpg - but who cares)

2019 Subaru Outback
    (30+ MPG)

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay11 View Post
    2000 86k miles garage queen. Barely driven 1000 ...2000 miles per year.

Been thinking about this, a sticky with same title brought my question to bear.

Have it as a leisure car with Geico in a policy with 4 other cars, planning to off load 2. I don't know much about car insurance other than call around and shop for rates. Then I read about agreed value. Still reading some more on that. So do you guys this method? Does it save your bottom line some $$$? Are you sufficiently covered? Or what method do you have your insurance and by whom?
    I need y'alls help to stump out my insurance ignorance and know some of what I don't know about this.
    Premium is $288 yearly, just regular liability coverage.
    I also do liability coverage for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned. I'm paying $18/mo to insure the Z3 through State Farm ... I also use them for other vehicles and homeowners so I'm guessing there's some kind of discount with that too.

My Cars
    '02 BMW Z3 2.5
    Usaa.

My Cars
    04 ZHP - 99 M Coupe
    So I recently purchased and insured a 2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i with 48,000 miles. When I set up the insurance through Geico I specifically asked them about the value of the car and how that works. They told me that the value of the car is only assessed when the car needs a claim... I thought that was rather strange. Would getting the car appraised through a 3rd party do anything? Aka get it appraised and either tell Geico now, or provide this assuming I get in an accident?

Another question I have is whether the z3 coupe is actually more valuable than the z3 roadster. Obviously the market is telling us that they are. But is this just because we are BMW enthusiasts and are essentially circle jerking over it? There are plenty of cars that have cult followings due to "rarity" however that doesn't always translate into anything for the average person. What does this mean for something like the Z3 coupe? I've been browsing z3coupebuyersguide for months and any comparible car to my own (z3 coupe under 50k with a 5 speed and m54b30) is difficult to come by under 20k. But a KBB search puts the same car at almost half of that.

Curious what you guys think.

and I just now realized this is specifically about roadies, but yeah, still curious.