eBMWParts

Thread: HELP! I can't get my M Roadster into my new garage!!

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT

HELP! I can't get my M Roadster into my new garage!!

Hey guys, we just bought a house that I can't get my M Roadster into. I'm hoping to get some feedback from anyone with experience about using the Curb Ramp® to augment my driveway and improve the slope ... and get some input about if I should even bother.

I have a 2000 Z3 M Roadster with TC Kline SA coilover suspension. This system has 2" of height adjustment and I think I'm at the lower end, meaning I think I have at least 1" of lift. But I don't know that it will be enough. I'm posting in the Suspension subforum thinking my solution may end up being a suspension adjustment.

It's snowing right now, or I'd get some pics with my car. Instead, here are some pics showing our other car on the steeper side of the driveway so you can see how close the front bumper of a Subaru with stock setup is. You should be able to see that the driveway has less slope on what I'll call the right side, which is where I have tried to go in. I have tried from both directions, head in, rear in, at side angles, you name it, I've tried it. I may be able to come in on the side of the driveway after it is stamped and graveled in, but as it is, I always get one rear wheel off the ground and lose traction. I have tried with ASC on and off. No diff.

The real trick is that I can keep the car in my rental house for maybe 3 weeks. If the weather cooperates, I will have time to install this DIY Curb Ramp Kit (I'll need two boxes) https://curbramp.us/. I can't afford to pay a company to asphalt and rubber ramp type products aren't as deep as I think I'll need.

The three choices I have, that I can see are: try the DIY kit ... if that isn't enough, have my shop increase ride height ... if that isn't enough, sell the car. I really hate to sell a car because of a driveway ... and if I have to adjust my suspension to full height (stock height?) will it still be fun to drive?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mspa; 03-17-2018 at 08:53 PM.

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Just measured driveway (22 feet wide) and have some pics with my car. I put some wood in the low point to see how much that amount of fill works. You can be the judge of what you see. Ideally, I would start building up the ramp about 16" before the concrete driveway ... then fade into concrete about 2 feet up ... but that may be too much area to cover and not necessary.

My next step will be to have the coilovers raised. That may not completely address the situation, but it will help with around town driving.

This first pic has good approximations of degree of slope. If the alley didn't slope downward, the driveway wouldn't have been poured as low as it is.
    Last edited by mspa; 03-19-2018 at 11:56 AM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    That CurbRamp kit looks like it will resolve your problem nicely!
    I sure wouldn't let that vehicle go, without attempting the best affordable option.

Don't forget:
    How does it allow for flow of water?

After priming the curb, we recommend placing PVC pipe in the curb gap before spreading the mixture over it. This will allow excess water to flow and prevent debris buildup on the sides of the Curb Ramp™.

Due to the downward slope from one side to the other.

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Thanks for the post. I forgot to check this after a long week+ of moving, losing internet service for days and being flat tired. Good news though ... got the driveway replaced. Yep, the builder and concrete guy did me a huge favor (price I couldn't pass up) and cut the lower two-thirds of the driveway out, cut into the alley about a foot and poured a new driveway. I can now drive in at any angle with no issue ... until I get to the threshold of the garage. So my new challenge is simply deciding the best way to fabricate a 4" tall ramp to clear the garage entry. Here's two pics. The first is a side view just before touching payment ... the second is my make-shift ramp with rubber mats and packing boxes. The car is now in the garage!!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Dang... I thought my car was really low against the concrete at the garage...
    However, my driveway slab has dropped ~4” in front of the garage slab (poor installation and soil).

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    It's one of those things you wouldn't think about until you are faced with it. I'm going to try backing in later today ... and see if that helps. As long as the front air dam doesn't scrape, it will keep the x-brace under the engine up and away from the concrete. That will work, if the change in geometry is enough. If not, I'm thinking of finding some thick rubber mats I can use to create a hump about 3" high. I'll get my M Roadster buddy here in town to come by tomorrow and see what we can work out. If I have to build something, I'll post so the next unlucky sod who is in my predicament, may have an affordable solution.

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Good news. The only reason there is not an exclamation point on that first sentence is I still need to lift my car. But not much.

My buddy John helped be my eyes while I tried to back into garage. It doesn't really matter which way I enter the garage, I get some rub for about a 4-5" long stretch. He seems to think a half inch lift will do, but I may go for closer to an 1". This will increase drivability around Bend, since we have some crappy roads with pot holes, and steep transitions off major streets into parking lots. The car will still look good and I'll take this opportunity to have the shop retune the coilover setup for this area ... and since I was planning on getting a front end alignment, this is the perfect time.

I am mostly happy that I will be able to enjoy the newly poured driveway without having to add DIY material to it, and shouldn't need any padding on the entry portion of the garage. If the lift is not quite enough (which I highly doubt), I can use those 1/2 black rubber mats.

For now, I'll consider this topic resolved

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Happy for you,problem resolved,enjoy!

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Thanks, I appreciate that.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    No affiliation with the product, but figurd you're not the only one to face this issue and did some digging around to see if anything is available out there.

http://www.bridjit.com/blog/bridjit-for-lowered-cars/

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/curb+bridge.do
    Last edited by Mless5; 04-02-2018 at 11:32 AM.

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    And here's one more.

After getting my TC Kline SA coilovers set to max height, I STILL had a little scraping on the undercoating for a 5x5" patch ... so at the suggestion of German Master Tech (my shop), I went to the local ranch supply (High Desert Ranch and Home) and bought a horse stall mat. The mat is 4' x 6' x 0.75" and weighs 100 lbs. The heavy weight keeps the mat in place and I don't need anything to keep the mat in place. The other side benefit of this is that I have it positioned so that I can drive in at any angle with no rub, and when I feel my rear tires roll off the mat, my car is where I want it in the garage. So all around very cool. The mat only cost $39.95 and should last a couple of years at least.

One cool benefit to having my car raised is that the tech installed some wheel spacers to help with the look, which I like better and the ride quality is better on local streets. Now to save up for new front tires and get a front end alignment and final tune on camber, etc.
    Last edited by mspa; 04-05-2018 at 07:52 PM.

My Cars
    2004 Porsche CTT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    No affiliation with the product, but figurd you're not the only one to face this issue and did some digging around to see if anything is available out there.

http://www.bridjit.com/blog/bridjit-for-lowered-cars/

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/curb+bridge.do
    I can attest to the quality of Griot's Garage. They have a nice shop and in case you didn't know, Griot was the guy responsible for inventing the first creeper to work under cars. That says something about their mission to make well designed products.