Thread: Noob question on a Coolant leak

My Cars
    Porsche 993

Noob question on a Coolant leak

Let me preface by admitting that I’m noob but am trying to learn as much as I go along. Been going over a new to me e36m3 by doing some routine maintenance. While changing all the fluids in the car I noticed what looks like coolant leak coming from top of the transmission. I was able to locate a white plastic fitting above the transmission that’s slowly dripping green fluid. Any idea what I’m looking at and how to go about fixing it?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    that is probably moisture drained from the aircon system. See realoem.com there are the parts shown. As long as it does not smell like coolant, just moisture from the IHKA system drain, if it smells, you have a coolant leak there. But as you say it is green, what is the coolant colour?
    Do you have any coolant loss? Does it smell inside the cabin?
    Last edited by shogun; 03-17-2018 at 03:13 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    Porsche 993
    The car is new to me so I haven’t had much time with it to know if it has any significant coolant loss. There is no smell in the cabin that I noticed. I did just flush the system with blue antifreeze but the fluid that’s leaking looks very much like the prior green antifreeze

Hopefully it’s not too serious.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    replace your guibo
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    Porsche 993
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    replace your guibo
    Thanks for noticing it. The to do list is certainly getting longer. Think I’m just going to replace the heater core since that’s probably a likely culprit for the antifreeze leak. Suspension (rtab, springs, strut) next with guibo to follow. I’m sure I’ll find something else along the way. Even though I’m pretty noob at this, I’m looking forward to doing this by myself with help of DIYs and forum knowledge.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Yep. it's toast. (or it's at least in the toaster and will very soon be toast.), oh, and that is the heater/AC drain, so if it's coolant, your heater core may be leaking. Is your coolant green? does it taste sweet. (and no, I'm not suggesting you drink it, but just a taste isn't going to kill you...)
    Last edited by RRSperry; 03-19-2018 at 09:56 AM.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    Porsche 993
    Nope, not going to taste any questionable fluid leaks from any thing (inanimate or living). It definitely looks like antifreeze since it’s bright neon green.

I’m working on getting to the heater core to have a peek and need a some sage advice. I got the center console out including the climate control. I followed the DIY and got all the screws for the heater core cover out but am having a hell of a time trying the get the cover out. The vent flap is out of the way too. Is there some kind of trick to do this?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    I'm faced with a similar situation on my 98 M3. I've already repaired a couple of minor coolant leaks, but just this past week I've started to notice a little coolant smell in the cabin of my car sometimes. It also happens near the rear of the engine but only if I've been driving it for a while. I'm HOPING it's something like the heater core or some kind of connection to the heater core. Sadly I've been spending too much time diagnosing/fixing other issues with the car to get around to checking the heater core/connections/etc. But this post has already given me some new insights, so ty!

By the way, congrats on your new e36 M3 purchase... I hope your car brings you as much joy as mine has brought to me this past year.....

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Not sure about the location in your case, but bright neon green could also be AC refrigerant. Often there's green UV dye in it.

OEM BMW antifreeze is blueish in color.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    Porsche 993
    @canyondestroyer: car is certainly brining a lot of fun but also some frustration as well. I had to cut some unnecessary tabs on the heater core cover in order to get it out. Along the way I managed to lose a screw down a vent. Took the advice of jacking up the rear high and kept the front low and was glad that only small amount of antifreeze dribbled out when I finally got the heater core out. The bottom of the heater core is wet but not sure if that’s from the ac condensation or an actual leak. I’ll give it a good wipe and see if the core is damp again. Regardless a new one will be going in.

@tositiobandito: god I hope it’s not refrigerant. The evaporator looks pretty good and dry from what I can see. My car has been the stand for 2 weeks without the ac running. I noticed the leak after coolant flush which made me suspect heater core. Unfortunately it was green antifreeze before and I just put in blue so really can’t tell. I also thought refrigerant tend to evaporate at low temp. Hate to replace the heater core only to have to go back in again. I can order a black light or save the money and seriously consider a taste test....... not sure what refrigerant taste like and not sure if I want to find out.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I dunno, I'd much rather have a small AC leak than any sort of coolant leak. My AC has had a small leak near the evaporator for years. I just recharge it once a year, until someday I feel like trying to fix it. Unlike a coolant leak, it is no danger to the car.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    heater core. Smell that green stuff and report back. Could be A/C dye, or could be coolant. Either way, the dash and HVAC box is coming out in order to fix it.
    Last edited by 1000hp; 03-21-2018 at 05:59 PM.