RM European Auto Parts

Thread: E65 Trunk Latch Won't Release

My Cars
    2004 325ci 2002 745i

E65 Trunk Latch Won't Release

Vehicle has been sitting for 3 years. Trunk won't open manually via the key. What's the best way to gain access to trunk? Back seat? Bumper removal? Drill out the lock? PIA

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Put the hood and apply power to the jump start posts

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Push the interior button. See if you have a ski pass-through behind the rear armrest.

Take it to the dealership, and let them deal with it. You can't own this car without expecting to pay ~$4000 a year in maintenance and repairs, so you already owe it at least $12000 anyway.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2004 325ci 2002 745i
    Take it to the stelership? LOL. I will make a ski pass through before I do that. Its a project car at this point. BMW tech advises removing the rear seats and unbolting the plate between the seats and trunk. Then pulling the emergency release. Time and elbow grease. Thanks for input. $12k to the good

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    "BMW tech advises removing the rear seats and unbolting the plate between the seats and trunk."

Let me know how that goes.

By the way, the term "stealership", even when spelled correctly, doesn't get you many friends, on this forum. Everyone here recognizes the importance and honest business practices of the dealership. I am their competition, but I have great respect for the techs, and the straightforward and heavily regulated dealership service departments.

Good luck with your project car.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 03-26-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Oops, wait, you've got a seized engine ! Oh, FUN ! A $300 car with a toasted multi thousand dollar engine, and you're worried about how to get into the trunk.

This is going to be fun, please keep us informed.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 03-27-2018 at 06:09 AM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    He reminds me of my self, doesn't he Chris?
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    2004 325ci 2002 745i
    Mucho Gracias mi amigos for the spelling lesson and the ethics class on dealerships and most importantly helpful answers to my questions. I will refrain from dignifying the rest. Multi thousand dollar engine??? how bout $800 + various parts used with warranty less than 100k miles. Labor @ $900. Stay tuned...yep I'm having fun.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I understand that you think I'm being mean.....but I'm not.

I'm trying to keep you from investing further in the worst money-pit BMW has ever built. An '02 E65 is nothing but a boatload of problems, and has been, since the day it was born.

If you'd bought an '01 E38, I'd be telling you what a wonderful car you have.....the best big car in the world. But I was working at the dealership when the '02's came out, and , well, I'm honestly trying to save you a world of hurt, whether you believe me or not.

As for the $800 engine with a warranty; you usually get what you pay for, that price is cheaper than any N62 at Car-Parts.com, which carries all the salvage yards.....and.....the warranty isn't going to cover the labor of doing the job twice....or three times...

I DID answer your questions: how to get into the trunk....(use the interior button, see if you have a ski pass through, or go to the dealer.....because at the time, no one had mentioned a DOA car with a blown engine, and I promise you that this is NOT a DIY kind of car.)

I sincerely apologize if I offended you, but I am only trying to warn you about how exceptionally troublesome this car really is.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2004 325ci 2002 745i

E65 doa

No offense taken. I'm too old to be offended about car stuff. Been doing it too long. To clarify...I am managing this "project" for a client (also my college room mate) with a budget and people want what they want. As I have told my service advisers over the years, Nobody needs a high end luxury vehicle but I want it right with no excuses.

As for the trunk, the client wants his brand new set of golf clubs out of it even if he were to junk it. Sure we could take a torch to it but E65 parts have value. And yes, I made a ski pass through to get into the trunk. The cable that releases the trunk latch somehow was popped, broke/disconnected from the latch itself therefore requiring the latch to to be released manually and I mean manually. Not even the emergency child release would release it.

I get the money pit advisory, they are all money pits. They've yet to build a maintenance free vehicle.And this one has been truly been neglected. My network of techs can take apart and build a rocket ship and I personally have a dealers license, am a certified vehicle appraiser and own a small fleet of high-end luxury vehicles and motorcycles (1 being a 1st place show car-1984 300zx slick top) Not blowing my own horn just offering some context of my experience. Experience that affords me better than average access to automotive resources with value not always available to the general public. Resources that allow me to ignore the usual cost parameters and pass the benefit to my clients.

The most important resource is knowledge. I use the forums for knowledge and sometimes comradery (spell check-LOL). Sometimes the knowledge is fitting and accurate and sometimes its like a Youtube video. they show show you how to start and finish and time lapse the middle. LOL

I will post the project updates with pics for kicks and giggles. Not a priority. Will be over time-2 months-mostly nusance/cosmetic like that trunk cable mechanism. Ugh...Take care and thanks again.

P.S. My response is all about the passion. Having fun!