Thread: Just to be clear, There is No Way to siphon oil from the top of the engine?

My Cars
    06 Z4

Just to be clear, There is No Way to siphon oil from the top of the engine?

So, my 2006 Z4 3.0 si is very soon due for an oil change and last time I changed it I went under and opened the little trapdoor and poured out the oil that way

Since then I have a pump for siphoning oil through the dipstick tube which works great for my other cars but since I'm lead to understand the Z4 doesn't have a dipstick, even if it doesn't, does it have a dipstick tube or any other way I could get a siphoning hose to the bottom of the oil pan from above the engine?

Put it simply, I dislike getting dirty and I avoid crawling underneath cars when I can avoid it, of course if it's unavoidable, so be it. But is it?
    It's never the fuse.

My Cars
    '13 M3 Coupe
    This is how I ended up changing the oil on my Z4MC almost every time. It was great not having to get under the car.
    2013 BMW M3 Coupe : Interlagos Blue : Silver Norvillo : 6MT : Competition Package
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    pics of M3

My Cars
    06 Z4
    Wait, so are you telling me that the Z4 DOES have a dipstick tube or some other way to get a siphoning tube from overhead?
    It's never the fuse.

My Cars
    '13 M3 Coupe
    Yes, I am. Like I said, on my E86 M I used a siphon tube through the dipstick tube.
    2013 BMW M3 Coupe : Interlagos Blue : Silver Norvillo : 6MT : Competition Package
    pics of M3

My Cars
    06 Z4
    Any chance you could take a photo or describe what the dipstick tube looks like so that I don't confuse it for something else?
    It's never the fuse.

My Cars
    06 Z4
    I just looked at my N52B30 engine and I didn't see anything there that quite seemed to pass for a dipstick tube.
    It's never the fuse.

My Cars
    '13 M3 Coupe
    I don't own the E86 Z4 M Coupe any longer. But if you have the N52B30 (3.0i), then you're right -- no dipstick. Sorry dude.
    pics of M3

My Cars
    06 Z4
    Well, on these cars, it's not like it's something I have to do often.
    It's never the fuse.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgeous View Post
    So, my 2006 Z4 3.0 si is very soon due for an oil change and last time I changed it I went under and opened the little trapdoor and poured out the oil that way

Since then I have a pump for siphoning oil through the dipstick tube which works great for my other cars but since I'm lead to understand the Z4 doesn't have a dipstick, even if it doesn't, does it have a dipstick tube or any other way I could get a siphoning hose to the bottom of the oil pan from above the engine?

Put it simply, I dislike getting dirty and I avoid crawling underneath cars when I can avoid it, of course if it's unavoidable, so be it. But is it?
    I looked in to this shortly after I bought the car because I had never owned a car without a dip stick to pull.
    What I was told was that there is no way to use the existing hole on the block to install a tube/dipstick because there was something else under where that would be.
    I believe it was something that was part of or maybe the entire unit of the electronic pickup for the computer to tell me on the dash?
    It's annoying and it is one of the very few things I don't care for about the car.
    Dean

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe, M Coupé
    The Ms have a different engine than the Zs. If you have a Z with an N52, there’s no dipstick and, as far as I can tell, no factory designed way to install one. I dislike the design choice, but seem to have absolutely no influence with BMW’s decision makers.