Thread: sunroof troubles

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!

sunroof troubles

I had to take the sunroof shuttle out while re-doing the headliner, and I accidentally broke something which caused the shuttle to not slide properly anymore. It slides back, but it doesn't slide forward to close. I suspect the rail blocks are broken but from visual inspection, the front ones seem to be fine. Might the rear ones be broken (and I can only confirm by removing the motor disconnecting the drive and removing the sliding blocks)? What other parts might be broken?

I was being an idiot and opened the sunroof sliding it all the way back one time and now the shuttle is stuck in the rear-most position. How can I pull it forward it again? ((

Thanks for any words of wisdom...

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Has anyone ever managed to pull the shuttle out from the rear carriage without pulling the headliner and the lower cassette cover? I probably have to bite the bullet since I am having trouble yanking on the shuttle from the front...

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    I have a similar problem since the shuttle was re covered. My shop advised that new material is too thick for the mechanism to grab and return to a closed position...it bothered me for awhile but now I just don't open the sunroof, one day I suppose I'll get around to having it fixed...
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Thanks for posting...

I removed the sunroof cassette. I don't see what is driving the two rails that moves the inner shuttle? The open rectangles at the rear of the guide rails?

The black metal device at the end only serves as a stop at the end of the open action?

Assume the coupe and sedan sunroofs are different?

I found the black metal device hook prevented the inner shuttle from being pulled forward, and part of the fabric that I had re-covered was snagged.

Thanks for any insight.
    Last edited by scooper; 03-31-2018 at 06:31 PM.