Thread: Adaptative headlight warning

My Cars
    2006 E90 330xi

Adaptative headlight warning

IMG_2988 (1).jpg
    There's been a downpour for the past few days here in the west coast. I noticed some condensation inside the right hand side headlamp and now I am receiving this annoying "Adaptative headlight" warning every time I start my car (330i E90 2006). I drove the car with the highlight on yesterday and after the headlamp dried, I parked and started the car again and the warning disappeared. Parked the car and started several times and didn't see the issue. It rained again last night, the headlamp is seeing some condensation this morning and, sure enough, the warning light is back again. Do I just go ahead and replace the ballast and/or SMC module? Is there a way to permanently fix condensation on headlamps without replacing it? Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by julls; 03-16-2018 at 08:01 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The adaptive module is located on the bottom of the head light and it is common for water to ruin the module

My Cars
    335i / E30 M3 / 533i
    My .02 cents is to apply a nice thin bead of sealant ( just on the outer edge of gasket ) and you wont have this problem ever.
    I’ve like to use threebond 1212 because it will always remain pliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2006 E90 330xi
    @Drift4 - thanks for the suggestion. Can you clarify what you mean by applying the silicone sealant to "the outer edge of the gasket"? Do you mean to apply the sealant to the headlamp gasket/plastic covering? I definitely want a permanent fix since it would make no difference if I decided to change the adaptive module only for water/condensation to damage it again. Thanks

My Cars
    2006 E90 330xi
    I'm also told that I may need to recode the adaptive module after replacement; can someone please confirm? I dread ever taking a trip to the dealer. I'm not sure if my Indy shop will be able to program this (assuming that's a requirement).
    Last edited by julls; 03-17-2018 at 11:15 AM.

My Cars
    335i / E30 M3 / 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by julls View Post
    @Drift4 - thanks for the suggestion. Can you clarify what you mean by applying the silicone sealant to "the outer edge of the gasket"? Do you mean to apply the sealant to the headlamp gasket/plastic covering? I definitely want a permanent fix since it would make no difference if I decided to change the adaptive module only for water/condensation to damage it again. Thanks
    On the ALC Control Unit you see a sealing
    gasket around the main socket area....thats where you would apply the sealing compound and no bad to apply dielectric grease on the harness connector side.

why I suggested THREEBOND is because clean up is not messy and if you ever had to open it for other reasons the sealant is very easy to remove with minimal to no residue left.

I don’t know how old the lights are? Are they still the OE fitted? When I replace mine with the european assembly I sealed everything that has a gasket, because over time dust/soot WILL make its way in....its been 3 years and still looks like it came out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2006 E90 330xi
    Thanks for the detailed response; it's very helpful. I popped the trunk this morning and noticed a loose end on one side of the headlamp - it wasn't properly clipped and there was a slight opening. I'm not sure how that happened but I have locked that side of the cover in place. Would the condensation automatically evaporate over time, or do I need to dry it? I can't get the headlamp cover off without taking out the bumper - otherwise, I will use a hair dryer and blow out condensed water. I have just order the ALC/SMCII module on eBay for $89. That was the best deal I could find for brand new OEM. I also ordered the sealant but I'm not sure if I will need it since this appears to have been coming from a slightly loose cover on one of the four clips.
    Last edited by julls; 03-17-2018 at 06:07 PM.

My Cars
    2006 E90 330xi
    Drift4 - you rock!!! We took out the SMC module and it was soaked in water :/ I have replaced it and that has resolved the issue. Also applied seal around gasket housing. One more question: do I need to get my headlamp reprogrammed? P.S: I replaced both headlamps a year ago with used OEM adaptive headlamps but never got them reprogrammed; headlamp never auto-levels although the adaptive light turns when I move steering. I also don't think my lights are focused - I have brought it to Indy several times to adjust but sometimes I feel the light isn't strong enough. Suspect this might be because I have to get the headlights programmed. Now that I have replaced the module, I will wait a few days after it has rained to ensure there is no more condensation on passenger side. Would I need to bring it to the dealer to code the headlight units? Thanks
    Last edited by julls; 03-23-2018 at 07:27 PM.