Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Embraced the Beige

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    The FSU was an issue on my 540it as well— it made the fan blow on max the whole drive home from LA when I bought it... I had to wear a jacket because of how cold the interior got in that 6-hour trip.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    The FSU was an issue on my 540it as well— it made the fan blow on max the whole drive home from LA when I bought it... I had to wear a jacket because of how cold the interior got in that 6-hour trip.
    Haha, too "cool"! But seriously, did it ever cause the blower not to work? Would it not let you adjust the temp? I guess there are a list of symptoms the FSU can cause to the blower when it's going bad.
    Ed

Keep on modding and fixing!..

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Received my MTech rear bumper today. I decided not to get it from Umnitzka as they charge quite a bit for shipping. I was concerned about the quality of the one I bought from europartsautostore on eBay, but after opening it up and inspecting it, it appears to be good quality. I don't see any difference between the two. On paper the materials are the same and supplied trim is identical. We'll see after fitment. For now I sent it off to the body shop I used for the front to be painted and fitted. They did a great job and for a great price. Didn't take much pics as I got too excited after opening up the box. Was packaged nicely with bubble wrap and in thick plastic. Box was heavy duty with no damage and pointy edges were protected with more soft packing material. Only concern was this appeared to be sitting on their shelf for a while. The plastic was covered in a nice thick layer of dust. But once out of the wrapper everything was good. I'll post more pics of the "after" when I get it back.
    20180326_124650.jpg20180326_125228.jpg
    Last edited by Rossagge; 03-26-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    Ed

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    What did you do on the front door cards to replace the top tan piece with black? I've taken some junkyard ones to try and see if i could switch it over, but the fronts seem hard to pull the top part off. Can you give some detailed pics on this?

Thanks

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yep, the front panels, I don't think you can pull the black section, unless you cut them off, do an exact cut on the beige, graft it over. I got 4 black panels for my wagon, same thing, swapping out all the barf brown sections with black. The rears come apart really easy, just glue in the black pieces, but the fronts, I ended up buying SEM vinyl primer cleaner, when it dries, is also an adhesive promoter for the SEM black vinyl paint. You do have to transfer over the vents and speaker trim. I am also transferring the black pockets into the beige panels, installing amber LED's to light up the pockets when the lights are on. I also have a set of E38 inner door handles with the amber lighting. Already have the black upper dash pad, have a brand new black center stratification vent, but somehow, it is hiding somewhere and I can't find it. That is what is holding that project up right now, pisses me off. So.... If anyone has a black strat center vent without the usual crack in one of the corners they want to sell, let me know! If not, I'll just snag one off of eBay and use that until I find that elusive little bastard.
    I had scored a black Euro center arm pad with the compartment, not the sliding one, but the one that just opens up, copped it off a wreck at a local junkyard, payed ten bucks for it, and a bunch of other stuff!!! Tried to get a local upholsterer to wrap it in beige leather, but he didn't seem too enthusiastic for some business, for some stupid reason, so I turned around and walked out of there, then got to thinking, leave it black, it'll match the black dash panel and upper door panels.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by biglow63 View Post
    What did you do on the front door cards to replace the top tan piece with black? I've taken some junkyard ones to try and see if i could switch it over, but the fronts seem hard to pull the top part off. Can you give some detailed pics on this?

Thanks
    What BimmrMeUpSnotty did is a great way to do it. Some fabrication is required and some time. I however did not. I dyed mine. I cleaned them up really good, prepped them and dyed the uppers with ColorBond LVP BMW black. Clean them up with a good cleaner that wont leave residue. I then wiped that down with a damp cloth. Used scotchbrite pad or 400-600 grit sand paper to rough up the area as well as to help remove anything left from the cleaning. Microfiber that down. I warmed the upper with a heat gun then applied the spray dye. 3-4 coats. Let sit for a day then reinstalled. They have held up nicely. I don't DD my car and rarely have passengers so not much wear. The dye holds well to the type of material on the upper. I also dyed the arm rest. Same process.The original black dash I bought as a replacement. Sourced the black center dash vent as well as the front door vents/tweeter combo. Dyed the back door tweeter covers. I've finger nailed scratched the uppers after dyeing and no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Yep, the front panels, I don't think you can pull the black section, unless you cut them off, do an exact cut on the beige, graft it over. I got 4 black panels for my wagon, same thing, swapping out all the barf brown sections with black. The rears come apart really easy, just glue in the black pieces, but the fronts, I ended up buying SEM vinyl primer cleaner, when it dries, is also an adhesive promoter for the SEM black vinyl paint. You do have to transfer over the vents and speaker trim. I am also transferring the black pockets into the beige panels, installing amber LED's to light up the pockets when the lights are on. I also have a set of E38 inner door handles with the amber lighting. Already have the black upper dash pad, have a brand new black center stratification vent, but somehow, it is hiding somewhere and I can't find it. That is what is holding that project up right now, pisses me off. So.... If anyone has a black strat center vent without the usual crack in one of the corners they want to sell, let me know! If not, I'll just snag one off of eBay and use that until I find that elusive little bastard.
    I had scored a black Euro center arm pad with the compartment, not the sliding one, but the one that just opens up, copped it off a wreck at a local junkyard, payed ten bucks for it, and a bunch of other stuff!!! Tried to get a local upholsterer to wrap it in beige leather, but he didn't seem too enthusiastic for some business, for some stupid reason, so I turned around and walked out of there, then got to thinking, leave it black, it'll match the black dash panel and upper door panels.
    Nice. I have some amber led's waiting to be installed as well, haha! I planned on installing mine up in the foot wells and then two under the front seats near the rear for the back passengers and one in the rear cargo area.
    Ed

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossagge View Post
    Nice. I have some amber led's waiting to be installed as well, haha! I planned on installing mine up in the foot wells and then two under the front seats near the rear for the back passengers and one in the rear cargo area.
    I have 4 Audi white led housings from a total at work. I will mount them under the seats like you are, for the rear floors, and under the dash, these will only come on when the interior lights are turned on, or if a door is opened. I will also be mounting amber led's for night lighting when the headlights are on.

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    I have 4 Audi white led housings from a total at work. I will mount them under the seats like you are, for the rear floors, and under the dash, these will only come on when the interior lights are turned on, or if a door is opened. I will also be mounting amber led's for night lighting when the headlights are on.
    That is Cool. I like having that feature. I installed blue Leds on a friend's Ram truck as his interior lighting(when the doors open). Put some courtesy/puddle lights on his and my Silverado under the rockers at all four doors. Same thing...come on when door is open and slowly fade out. Might do that to the touring. Your idea of Having the Amber on at night would be a nice cool/custom mood lighting feature.

Sent from my LG-US701 using Tapatalk
    Ed

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    There was a dude on here that bought like a thousand of the right Amber led’s that match E39 night lighting, the amber led’s that I have are not the same as the reddish orange glow that BMW’s have. Can’t remember his name on here. He had a thread where he did the E38 handles and lighting in the door pockets. He bought so many because they were stupid cheap, used what he needed, and has been selling to members. Gonna have to look for the thread.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Thanks for the tip, i have a black dash also. haven't installed it yet. Also have the upper pieces for the rear door cards, however they don't have the cutout for the sun visors. Tried seeing if i could pull the uppers off the front with a heat, no success. How sturdy is the vinyl paint, and is it a good match? This will probably be my next project once i get the sun roof back together.

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by biglow63 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, i have a black dash also. haven't installed it yet. Also have the upper pieces for the rear door cards, however they don't have the cutout for the sun visors. Tried seeing if i could pull the uppers off the front with a heat, no success. How sturdy is the vinyl paint, and is it a good match? This will probably be my next project once i get the sun roof back together.
    As far as what I did is concerned, like I mentioned, the LVP dye is good and it is a good match. My dash is OE and the upper door cards are spray dyed. I can't tell a difference. One of the only spray dyes I found and it actually is labeled BMW Black. Prep is the key though. I even did my rear bench and touched up the fronts with it. Also some plastic panels. I know not everyone is a fan of dyeing and yes, it won't last forever or as long as OE door cards will. Even those will eventually need some touch up. I guess just depends on what you can live with and want. I think maybe in a few years I'll need to touch them up again, hopefully that long. I don't mind. If it becomes a hassle, I'll prob eventually get the OE door cards for it. Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted!
    Last edited by Rossagge; 03-28-2018 at 07:36 PM.
    Ed

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    There was a dude on here that bought like a thousand of the right Amber led’s that match E39 night lighting, the amber led’s that I have are not the same as the reddish orange glow that BMW’s have. Can’t remember his name on here. He had a thread where he did the E38 handles and lighting in the door pockets. He bought so many because they were stupid cheap, used what he needed, and has been selling to members. Gonna have to look for the thread.
    Yeah, let me know. I'll look for it also. It would be nice to have the same glow as everything else. I haven't checked mine inside the car to see the difference. I have two different kinds. One that was intended as single marker lights for trucks/cars and the other is a 6 bulb utility strip. Gonna have to check each to see if they are a match or close to it.
    Ed

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by SCRSUVS View Post
    Beige is one of those colors has to be done right, looks real classy with the Alcantara, very suttle until you realize what you are seeing. That suede just has an appeal that pulls you in. Super clean looking...did see the M5 he did do a great job, installing one takes dedication, planning, patience, time, and an extra set of hands. ECS has the pillars, but not the Alcantara, think $75ish...if you decide to do it down the road IM sure the members as well as myself want to see lots of pics when finished. IMO if youre going to keep the car its worth it, its not an inexpensive endeavor, not for everyone, and its one of those boarder line decisions.

Thanks for the mirror info, saw some people getting lucky on the modules and didn't need the passenger side, only the M5 had folding ones none of the E 39 came with that option couldn't even order it.
    So true. I think when they are clean, I mean CLEAN, they look so right. I think that project is something I'll do in a few months. Won't have the time until then. I'll check out ECS. Thanks!
    Ed

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    OMG. Love that seatbelt cleaning. That is on my list for when the weather warms up. The filthy embrace of beige has been weighing on my psyche. they get filthy so quickly.

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bigMphan View Post
    OMG. Love that seatbelt cleaning. That is on my list for when the weather warms up. The filthy embrace of beige has been weighing on my psyche. they get filthy so quickly.
    When they're clean they look so good...all of it!

Ed

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Got my MTech rear bumper painted up. Had the same shop install it since I'm pressed for time. Looks good. A small gap near the hatch on either side where the body panels meet the bumper...not too bad but will need some attention. Almost looks like that's just the way the bumper is made.

Ed

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Finally found a great set of Mpars for a great price. Had them powder coated. Did I get too carried away with the Beige???

Metallic Beige Style 37s. 8" front 9.5" rear.
    Mpars style 37 Metallic Beige 2.jpgMpars style 37 Metallic Beige.jpgMpars style 37 Metallic Beige 3.jpg

Having them shipped home. Away for a bit. Can't wait to get home and have them installed to see how they look!
    Ed

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    Finally found a great set of Mpars for a great price. Had them powder coated. Did I get too carried away with the Beige???

Metallic Beige Style 37s. 8" front 9.5" rear.
    Mpars style 37 Metallic Beige 2.jpgMpars style 37 Metallic Beige.jpgMpars style 37 Metallic Beige 3.jpg

Having them shipped home. Away for a bit. Can't wait to get home and have them installed to see how they look!
    Hope when on it works...brave choice...& different....looking forward to see the result...

here is the led bulb link if still interested...like what he has done with them...

DIY: E38 Illuminated / Lighted door handles into E39
    Last edited by SCRSUVS; 04-21-2018 at 03:03 AM.

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by SCRSUVS View Post
    Hope when on it works...brave choice...& different....looking forward to see the result...

here is the led bulb link if still interested...like what he has done with them...

DIY: E38 Illuminated / Lighted door handles into E39
    Thanks for the link! I do like to experiment Will update when wheels are on.
    Ed

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    SCRSUVS had the link. Here it is...
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ndles-into-E39
    Ed

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    SCRSUVS had the link. Here it is...
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ndles-into-E39
    Nice! Thanks you guys!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    OP, nice car dude! I like that Slate Green Metallic. Not something you see every day. Interesting choice to do the slate green on the inside trim as well. I bet that would look pretty good on an all black interior as an accent and it seems to work ok with the black/tan, but 3 colors in the interior might be a bit too many IMO.

Redshift did a black/tan interior in his wagon as well by dyeing the tops of the door cards and swapping the upper dash and left the beige seats, carpets, door card lowers, etc., but he has a M-Sport that already has the black headliner and he also did the black seat trims and high polished black trim. It looks really nice.

I saw on the first page that someone thought the rear door cards were different between sedan and wagon and just wanted to mention that it's wrong. They are the same. I swapped my black sedan door cards to my wagon with no issues at all.

BTW, here's a couple pics of my black/tan interior in my wagon:

I ended up going pretty much all black, but happened to find a full set of high polished sandbeige trim at a local LKQ and loved the look of it. I'm actually waiting on a brand new cup holder delete panel from a friend. I haven't done the headliner in black yet, but that will come soon. I've already got all the black parts that replace the tan ones (lights, hooks, visors, etc.).

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    OP, nice car dude! I like that Slate Green Metallic. Not something you see every day. Interesting choice to do the slate green on the inside trim as well. I bet that would look pretty good on an all black interior as an accent and it seems to work ok with the black/tan, but 3 colors in the interior might be a bit too many IMO.

Redshift did a black/tan interior in his wagon as well by dyeing the tops of the door cards and swapping the upper dash and left the beige seats, carpets, door card lowers, etc., but he has a M-Sport that already has the black headliner and he also did the black seat trims and high polished black trim. It looks really nice.

I saw on the first page that someone thought the rear door cards were different between sedan and wagon and just wanted to mention that it's wrong. They are the same. I swapped my black sedan door cards to my wagon with no issues at all.

I ended up going pretty much all black, but happened to find a full set of high polished sandbeige trim at a local LKQ and loved the look of it. I'm actually waiting on a brand new cup holder delete panel from a friend. I haven't done the headliner in black yet, but that will come soon. I've already got all the black parts that replace the tan ones (lights, hooks, visors, etc.).
    Very nice 5er man and thanks! I dug my sport comforts in my old 7. Are those headrest form an E60? The more I see full black interiors the more and more I want. I guess I'll slowly transition over. I'm experimenting still and for now gonna work with the black and tan. I had done up a nice set of high gloss black trim both for a 323ci and 740i I previously owned. I guess I just wanted something different on this one. I put the M5 instrument cluster in my 7er. Gonna have to hit you up later for one for the Touring.
    Ed

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Haven't posted in a while. Unfortunately this one isn't a mod or glamour shoot. Bumper boxes with bumpers in them and rear seats I had stored on shelves above the Touring came tumbling down after many months of being up there. I wasn't too pissed about the hood, but the roof damage really erked me. Time for a carbon fiber hood???

Ed

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I bet those dents would come out with PDR and the other damage can likely be polished out to look decent.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast