Thread: E31 Parts- No Longer Available from BMW

My Cars
    '91 850i, E39 & E46 Cars

E31 Parts- No Longer Available from BMW

Folks - No longer available 8 Series parts from BMW is a perfect example why it is important to come together as a strong, organized group to request and apply pressure on BMW to bring obsolete parts back into production for service use. Joining the BMW CCA E31 Chapter is the first step. This past September I visited BMW Group Classic. During the visit I saw several Roundel issues on desks- I did not see any other BMW club or organization literature during my visit, only BMW CCA Roundel. BMW Classic have the clout with BMW purchasing to bring obsolete parts back into production. To make that happen, we need to come together as an organized group making our parts needs known and apply our clout to make those requests a reality.

If you are already an E31 Chapter member - excellent!

If not, consider joining other E31 owners and and add your influence to make our voice heard in Munich.

Here is an informative link: http://www.bmwccae31.com/

My Cars
    1996 840Ci / 2007 B7
    So I just renewed this week, and added the E31 chapter to my membership. Is the only effect to show numbers to BMW that the cars are still on the road?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    That and I guess the more members we have the stronger our voice is when we ask for parts to be put back in production.

Question. Are there any examples of that actually happening? As in us asking for them to start making something again and they actually do it?

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, '02 X5 4.6is
    Quote Originally Posted by Spandrel View Post
    Is the only effect to show numbers to BMW that the cars are still on the road?
    =) Yep. Efficient managers in Munich need to know when it is time to stop wasting money producing parts for cars like E31.
    WBR, Tony

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    I was involved in getting the E9 group organized and recognized by BMW AG and the International Council in the mid/late 1990's. It took us almost 2 years. Now BMW Classic is supporting the E9 more.

The same was true with the E31. We looked at several options when we formed the E31 Chapter. We had direct discussions with BMW CCA, BMW NA, BMW AG, and the International Council of BMW Clubs. The ONLY way were going to be recognized by BMW AG, and the International Council, and hence BMW Classic, was to organize as a chapter under BMW CCA. This took us a year of hard work, communications, and discussions. Our application actually went up through BMW CCA all the way to the International Council, and they were the ones that ultimately granted approval for the E31 Chapter, through BMW CCA.

It is in our best interest to support local groups, and be a member of the E31 Chapter. As the chapter grows, it will in turn be able to support local groups more and more and more. It is not the intent of the chapter to tell any local group how to run itself. The chapter simply wants to support local groups in any way they can. On the other hand, the E31 Chapter is the only official conduit to BMW Classic to lobby for supporting the E31 model. Through being a member of the E31 chapter, it is the only recognized voice up through the chain that they recognize, and will listen to.

If you have a local CCA chapter, or E31 group, I strongly suggest you join and support them. Recognition is on the rise for the E31 - probably the most since I have owned them over the past 13 years. With the introduction of the new 8 in the coming year, the limelight is once again also thrust on the E31. Let us seize the opportunity and show everyone our cars. They turned heads when they were in production, and they are turning heads again with the increased attention. By supporting your local organization or group, as well as joining the E31 Chapter, one only enhances our opportunity to lobby for parts that are either becoming increasingly rare or NLA, or are becoming increasingly expensive. For those who do not know, prices took a jump this year. Let's hope that through our combined efforts we can keep this to a minimum.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    I am happy to say we had 12 people say they would be joining last month after I posted the first of many “How to join the BMWCCA E31 Chapter” posts. Of those 12, 8 actually came through.

To those 8 new members, I would like to say thank you and offer a heartfelt WELCOME!

To those that that didn’t get around to it, I would still encourage you to join.

As as I have posted before, my membership has given me some really nice discounts. The last set of parts were offered at a 40% Discount - more than paid for the next 5 years membership. We hope to see everyone join this great organization.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by killian665 View Post
    That and I guess the more members we have the stronger our voice is when we ask for parts to be put back in production.

Question. Are there any examples of that actually happening? As in us asking for them to start making something again and they actually do it?
    The chapter is in the talking stages regarding US DOT headlight adjusters. We will see what happens!
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    Yeah... join already so I can post new car pics on the chapter web site...

My Cars
    2012 Alpina B7
    I am one that added the E31 group to my CCA membership. I look forward to hearing from the group.
    Chillax: your car looks a lot like mine! mine has style 5's instead of M-pars for now. are you going to Southeast Sharkfest?

Greg

My Cars
    2005 BMW M5, 1997 850Ci
    Kindly point me to the post / directions and I will gladly join. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    I am happy to say we had 12 people say they would be joining last month after I posted the first of many “How to join the BMWCCA E31 Chapter” posts. Of those 12, 8 actually came through.

To those 8 new members, I would like to say thank you and offer a heartfelt WELCOME!

To those that that didn’t get around to it, I would still encourage you to join.

As as I have posted before, my membership has given me some really nice discounts. The last set of parts were offered at a 40% Discount - more than paid for the next 5 years membership. We hope to see everyone join this great organization.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Here ya go:

BMWCCA E31 Join.jpg
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1991 850i 6MT CB42321
    I was swayed and joined. Unfortunately I joined my home region (Genesee) with the expectation based on the information that I could switch/add E31 after the fact. Need to get that adjusted now.
    1956 Austin Healey 100-4 BN2 // 1967 Chevrolet Camaro vert - project car // 1971 Datsun 240Z LSx resto-mod // 1986 Plymouth Conquest // 1991 BMW 850i 6MT // 2006 Ram 2500 Cummins 6MT // 2013 Audi Allroad

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Litman View Post
    I was swayed and joined. Unfortunately I joined my home region (Genesee) with the expectation based on the information that I could switch/add E31 after the fact. Need to get that adjusted now.
    You can -- just give the BMW CCA home office a call. I've been a CCA member for many years, but called and added the E31 chapter membership recently (after TxGR8White's prodding).

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    '91 850i, E39 & E46 Cars
    It's great to see the interest expressed here regarding the E31 Chapter. Lots of things happening in the E31 world- the E31 Chapter website is an excellent place to visit.
    Thanks to all who have signed up for BMW CCA membership and the E31 Chapter!

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by henryc View Post
    It's great to see the interest expressed here regarding the E31 Chapter. Lots of things happening in the E31 world- the E31 Chapter website is an excellent place to visit.
    Thanks to all who have signed up for BMW CCA membership and the E31 Chapter!
    I just renewed today!
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    '91 e31 M70
    Just renewed my E31 chapter membership for year #2!
    '07 e65|N62 - Alpina B7 - Black Sapphire|Black|Loaded|GONE
    '02 e46|M54 - Orient Blue|Beige|'Vert|GONE
    '00 e39|M52 - Anthrazit Metallic|Grey|GONE
    '01 e38|M73 - Anthrazit Metallic|Schwarz|Shadow-Line|GONE
    '91 e31|M70 - Schwarz|Schwarz|M70|FOR SALE

'13 328i Auto - Black Sapphire|Coral Red|Sport Line|GONE
    '05 545i SMG - Jet Black|Black|Bamboo Anthracite|GONE
    '07 335i Auto - Montego Blue|Grey|GONE
    '05 545i SMG - (Euro Delivery 7/22/05)|Black Sapphire|Auburn|GONE
    '97 528i Auto - GONE