RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Would like to see a "storing your bmw" general forum

My Cars
    E83 3.0 2010

Would like to see a "storing your bmw" general forum

I'm have been driving my other car and put the e83 x3 3.0 2010 into underground garage storage after simply stopping to drive it: did No preparation of storage.

Battery went dead, I replaced it without knowing it would erase all codes, i installed a new battery and here and there every couple of months started up the engine and let it warm up, drove in the garage.

Gasolene in the tank is now a couple years old.

I searched the words 'storage' and 'garage storage' but couldn't find any good posts here. Thus my request for a GENERAL FORUM on storage since this would raise awareness on extending the life of the car when it appears not an obvious topic.

I recently got a 1 day insurance and pumped up the tires at Costco. The car starts like new each time i hook up the battery again.

There are 3 dashboard lights - DSC, ABS, SRS, to tell me that probably the recent values are erased. I probably need to drive the car so it learns new info. How else can i get rid of the 3 dashboard lights?

Any general comments of what i should do now? Should I pump out the old gas and replace it with new gas?

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    This sub-forum or the General BMW sub is as good a place to discuss the topic of long term storage of your BMW. Your point that there are very few discussions on the topic makes the argument for a dedicated forum not so strong.

I have a couple older BMWs that are parked too much and feel I am doing it all wrong since BMWs are the Ultimate Driving Machine.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    so, here's what I just did.

i went to google and typed in site:bimmerforums.com storing a car
    that produced a bunch of posts talking about storing a car.

in general, here's what i do to store my track car:
    1) put fuel stabilizer in the tank per the product's instructions.
    2) use a battery tender or find some way to keep the battery charged outside of the vehicle.
    3) if i'm going to start the car once it is in storage, then i'm going to drive it through a full drive cycle. that means surface streets, highway, etc. i'm going to get the car really good and warm. otherwise, i don't start it.
    4) keep in mind - modern cars do not like being stored.

The tech talk section of BMW CCA's "Roundel" magazine has covered this topic quite a bit, and other sources such as NPR's "Car Talk," and various automotive websites have mentioned this as well so there's a wealth of sources out there.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1

That's pretty much the list in the E-36's owners manual, except it also states to inflate the tires to max.

I store the M3 every winter, and it doesn't get started until it's time to come out of storage, which will be at the end of this month. I have written several times on this forum a list of items that I do to store my car.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    +1 to everything above.

Ideally, I'd run the fuel down to less than 1/4 tank, and pour in some Stabil , and run it for another couple of minutes. Then I'd put it up on 4 jackstands, preferably in a heated garage, unplug the fuel pump fuse, run the engine til it dies, try to start it again with no fuel delivery, disconnect the negative battery cable, and let it sleep, without starting it, until winter is over.

Come spring, I'd connect the (charged) battery, pull the spark plugs, squirt a teaspoonful of oil into each cylinder, , leave the plugs out and the fuel pump fuse out for ~30 seconds of cranking, or until the oil pressure light went out, whichever came first. Then I'd put the plugs and coils in, plug in the fuel pump fuse, pour ten gallons of fresh gas into the tank, check all fluids, connect put the car on the floor, and start it. Let it run for 2 minutes, check everything looks normal, and take it for a drive around the block. Recheck everything, and drive it for at least half an hour.

As for the dash lights, well, of course you need to use a BMW specific quality scan tool to read and clear all codes in all computers. And turn the steering wheel full left and full right also.

Would I actually do all this? I guess, if I had lots of money, didn't work on cars for a living, was a man of leisure, and owned a McLaren F1.....and a heated garage.......

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471