Thread: Front speed sensor to give signal to speedo?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i

Front speed sensor to give signal to speedo?

Hey guys- I'm from the drifting section and recently got pointed your way, as some of you deal with the speed sensors signals in your builds. I'm looking to run a dual caliper setup, which would effectively deleted both my rear speed sensors. I have my right rear one pulled to kill all the stability control systems, but I'm under the impression that the rear left one runs the speedo. I'd prefer to keep my speedo, but there's no other place for the bracket to be welded on. Is there any way through coding, or maybe simply splicing the rear wires into the front speed sensor wires, so that the front speed sensor runs the speedo? Do any of you F/I guys have any suggestions?
    Any help is truly appreciated,
    -Aaron, and Betty the Beater

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    The vehicle speed sensor is in the diff.
    Speed sensors at each wheel are for the ABS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by SilburE36 View Post
    The vehicle speed sensor is in the diff.
    Speed sensors at each wheel are for the ABS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For an E36 yes... but his profile says 01 330 which is an E46 which probably uses the wheel speed sensors/ABS module to feed the cluster, etc. with data over the network bus.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    So begs the question: does the dual caliper require a different rear hub, sans the reluctor feature?

Admittedly, I've never pulled the rear (or front) hubs from any BMWs other than the E-36 and E-36-7/8, so I don't have a visual impression of E-46 hubs.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    So begs the question: does the dual caliper require a different rear hub, sans the reluctor feature?

Admittedly, I've never pulled the rear (or front) hubs from any BMWs other than the E-36 and E-36-7/8, so I don't have a visual impression of E-46 hubs.
    If I had to guess (because lack of info from OP), probably using stock hub but 2nd caliper interferes with the ABS sensor location.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Apologies about lack of info. E46 330i, the only place to weld the dual caliper brackets on are really the place where the speed sensor goes into the hub. The e46 is fed by speed sensors to give the speed to the speedo.
    \
    I heard from another user that some of you FI guys use front speed sensors to aid in traction control- I was wondering what kind of control logic went into that, and if it's possible for me to tap into that and draw the speed information.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    Apologies about lack of info. E46 330i, the only place to weld the dual caliper brackets on are really the place where the speed sensor goes into the hub. The e46 is fed by speed sensors to give the speed to the speedo.
    \
    I heard from another user that some of you FI guys use front speed sensors to aid in traction control- I was wondering what kind of control logic went into that, and if it's possible for me to tap into that and draw the speed information.
    In your case I would be willing to bet that even with just one wheel sensor installed you might still have a speedo... you can test this by simply disconnecting the rears.

The reason why I say this is because the cluster most likely get the wheels speed from the ABS controller. So as long as the ABS controller knows the wheel speed it can send it along to the cluster. How many sensors it actually needs is anyone's guess but it should be able to tell wheel speed info even if just one sensor is working front or rear... ABS will certainly have a fault and no longer work though.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    In your case I would be willing to bet that even with just one wheel sensor installed you might still have a speedo... you can test this by simply disconnecting the rears.

The reason why I say this is because the cluster most likely get the wheels speed from the ABS controller. So as long as the ABS controller knows the wheel speed it can send it along to the cluster. How many sensors it actually needs is anyone's guess but it should be able to tell wheel speed info even if just one sensor is working front or rear... ABS will certainly have a fault and no longer work though.
    The speedometer pulls from the drivers rear speed sensor, as when that one was removed, I lost my speedometers function. As it's a drift car, I require all the stability and traction systems to be disabled, which I accomplished by pulling the pass rear sensor originally.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    The speedometer pulls from the drivers rear speed sensor, as when that one was removed, I lost my speedometers function. As it's a drift car, I require all the stability and traction systems to be disabled, which I accomplished by pulling the pass rear sensor originally.
    If the tooth count is the same on the front sensor/hub just put that DR. rear sensor wiring to the front and see what happens.