Thread: Intermittent Engine Power Loss 2002 325XI

My Cars
    2002 325xi

Intermittent Engine Power Loss 2002 325XI

My names Chris. I have a 2002 325XI with 169k miles. My car runs smooth, No rough idling, no hard starting. I have no codes or check engine lights or anything. Recently I've been noticing a loss of engine power. It happens at completely random times and seems to happen more after the car has been driven for around a half hour. Its very subtle at first I thought I was going crazy. But then I noticed it more and more. It feels like I'm taking my foot off the gas for half a second then power returns to normal. It does it driving on the highway or sometimes when I'm accelerating. It doesn't buck or idle rough or anything. It almost feels like when your in cruise control and you hit the coast button for a second then let it go. Its not keeping me from driving my car the power loss hasnt lasted more then a second or so. This car is my baby and I want her to run right. I don't want to limp another beater around.

I have been searching and searching for days.. I have only found one similar person with a similar problem. Here is a link to his thread.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...+loss+of+power

My father seems to think its the MAF. I did take it out and clean it with MAF cleaner. No improvement. I did watch the MAF sensor dip down on my OBDII scanner during one of the power loses, that could be from a number of things though. Anyways just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issues or if anyone might know what the issue could be. I do think im leaning towards the fuel pump or fuel filter..
    Last edited by Cwharris; 03-15-2018 at 11:47 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The MAF is the most reliable part under the hood. Is the fuel pump original? When was the fuel filter last changed? Don’t throw parts at a problem. Doing so wastes money, doesn’t fix the problem and it angers the BMW goddesses. These cars have excellent diagnostic. Use them. Btw, the service engine light (SES) is on only when an emissions related code is present. Scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) for codes. That’s ALWAYS the first step.

My Cars
    2002 325xi
    As far as I know the fuel pump is original and I have no idea about the fuel filter. When I bought it came with no service records. I don't have proper BMW diagnostic equipment. I'm in the process of buying a laptop and running iNPA and the likes on it. For now all I have is your basic OBDII scanner. The scanner shows nothing wrong.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yeah, a pocket scanner is only good on a Ford, Chevy ect.

My suggestion would be to get an old Dell D830 laptop with a true serial port, then get a cable to match. I use this rig to read my E-36 and E-46's, but have to switch hard drives as some of the other BMW programs like WDS requires the older Adobe. If you plan on just using the laptop only for diagnostic equipment, find one that has Win-XP Pro on it, and never connect to the Internet. I have 2 drives, one with Win-XP and the other a SSD with Win-7 which I am using right now on Win-7's SSD.

But back to the problem, as you will have pending codes that will not show up, and with INPA, you can watch live data, and see what goes into the Red zone when the dip or loss of power happens.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 325xi
    Thats too funny.. I was literally just looking at recommended laptops to run INPA on. I took a break to check this and here you are describing the perfect laptop. How'd you get the software on the hard drive? Through your desktop? Cause you said never to connect it to the internet..

Thank you again for all the info, Its invaluable.

My Cars
    2002 325xi
    Here's one I just found and I'm pretty sure it has a true serial port on it, I'm not sure though

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834200847

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    All D830's have a serial port.

Yes, I have used a patch cable to copy the disk. Also what you can do is take a virgin HDD or Formatted HDD with a Win-XP Pro Disk. You can find a boot-able disk image floating around the Internet, and then just burn it to CD. I am using a 128GB HDD for my Win-XP with an extra caddy attached to it.

Once you have the Disk, then just fire-up the laptop and start the install of Win-XP that way. Next just use a second computer to download INPA and all other programs so your Anti-Virus can check it there isn't anything out there that can really support Win-XP with Anti-virus.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Oh and most of the time I use a thumb drive to transfer everything to the Win-XP side as I find it on the other SDD. The other thing that I do as well is have a External HDD that I can use for both drives, and that is a way I can transfer files too.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 325xi
    Thank you again so much. I got my eye on the D630. Seems to be the little brother to the D830. Its alot cheaper think it'd work fine? Specs are similar.
    https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-l...-xp-pro/specs/

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I had tried a D630 at first and found it lacking.

You can also take a look at Ebay, for there will be diamonds in the ruff if you are not particular on how it looks. Also I would say that the D820 is pretty much the same as the D830, just older is all. I have a D820 that I had bought just to get the screen from it, as the regular one tend to come with low resolution screens, something like 800x600.

I have attached the spec sheet for the D830/D820.

Lastly you can take the Service Tag # over to dell.com and it will tell you what the laptop came with from the factory, just like running a VIN.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dworthy; 03-16-2018 at 11:58 AM.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 325xi
    Dworthy your help has been invaluable. Just found one on ebay for 65$.

About my intermittent power loss.. It seems to have gone away.. The only thing I could think is the Seafoam I put in the gas didn't agree with the engine or DME.