Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimal head gasket replacement

My Cars
    1995 M3

Minimal head gasket replacement

Searched a bit....but looking for list of stuff to pre-order for a quick (if that's possible) minimal head gasket replacement (S50).

UPDATED LIST FROM RESPONSES, THANKS!
    - Head gasket set (Elring!)
    - ARP or OE head bolts
    - Valve seals
    - Valve spring retainers (pre 10/95 builds had failure prone retainers, although I'm mixed on this one as my car has 140k mi w/o issue)
    - Plastic intake manifold connection, part # 11611738629 (prone to break)
    - exhaust header bolts/nuts (I think "N54" with hex heads are the way to go on the studs?)
    - special tools (2 locating dowels, cam blocks, head bolt socket if not removing cams (eg OTC 5940), angle torque wrench if OEM head bolts)
    - schedule with machine shop to test head

- I'll probably toss on an S52 header if I can find one cheap (or if lucky, Turner shorties!)

MOST of the other stuff I might want to do 'while in there' has already been done, or, I'm not interested. (hoses, intake gaskets, etc already done. No desire to replace starter, vanos, etc). But, if I'm missing something 'while in there' easy and cheap, let me know.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 03-18-2018 at 09:11 AM.

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    Knock sensors are a good while your in there, also the upper timing chain tensioner.

Ive done the job 4 times now and have yet to not break one of these buggers. Maybe its just me though. (goes from icv to manifold)
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...n/11611738629/

Arp vs Oem is really just a personal preference thing. N54 studs are awesome.

Def the Elring or you can get bmw gasket from ecs

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Ha!! I had to replace that part the first week I owned my car, cause *I* broke it. Thanks for the reminder.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    2 locating dowels, vanos seals, and the long bolts that go to timing case could snap even though it's low torque
    Last edited by Zxc4; 03-15-2018 at 04:40 PM.

My Cars
    BMW
    + a bunch to having that little plastic connector Pat linked on hand, you'll either break it taking it off or somehow it'll get broken before you put it back on.

-James

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Valve seals and valve spring retainers (especially if your production date is pre 10/95).

This is the ecs headgasket kit I ordered: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-elring-p...129067421~elr/
    Funny thing is with the headgasket kit is that there are always o-rings and other bits and bobs that I have no idea where they belong lol
    Last edited by jayjaya29; 03-16-2018 at 11:19 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW 2001 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    + a bunch to having that little plastic connector Pat linked on hand, you'll either break it taking it off or somehow it'll get broken before you put it back on.

-James
    +1 to this
    Not directly, but as a standard operating procedure.

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Searched a bit....but looking for list of stuff to pre-order for a quick (if that's possible) minimal head gasket replacement (S50).

- Head gasket set (Elring, correct?)
    - ARP or OE head bolts (ARPs easier to install?)
    - exhaust header bolts/nuts (I think "N54" with hex heads are the way to go on the studs?)
    - I'll probably toss on an S52 header if I can find one cheap (or if lucky, Turner shorties!)
    - special tools (camshaft alignment kit, vanos turning tool, angle torque wrench if OEM head bolts)
    - schedule with machine shop to test head

MOST of the other stuff I might want to do 'while in there' has already been done, or, I'm not interested. (hoses, intake gaskets, etc already done. No desire to replace starter, vanos, etc). But, if I'm missing something 'while in there' easy and cheap, let me know.
    I have done more head swaps than I care to remember. I much prefer stock head bolts. I would recommend getting a complete head gasket set (either from the dealer or another reputable source). That way you have everything you need. Are you planning on leaving the cams installed when you remove/install the head? If so, you're going to need one of these https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5940-Head.../dp/B000R5KT7W I just use stock exhaust nuts and studs. You don't really need the vanos turning tool, just the blocks that go on the back of the cams. Also, you can have the machine shop replace the valve seals and retainers while they are checking the head.
    Also, get a couple big zip ties, and tie them around the timing chain and secure it to something in the engine bay when the head is off to keep it from falling down the front cover.
    Good luck!
    '94 325is #94 IP/GTS3 Mauritius Blue Metallic
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 94is View Post
    I have done more head swaps than I care to remember. I much prefer stock head bolts. I would recommend getting a complete head gasket set (either from the dealer or another reputable source). That way you have everything you need. Are you planning on leaving the cams installed when you remove/install the head? If so, you're going to need one of these https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5940-Head.../dp/B000R5KT7W I just use stock exhaust nuts and studs. You don't really need the vanos turning tool, just the blocks that go on the back of the cams. Also, you can have the machine shop replace the valve seals and retainers while they are checking the head.
    Also, get a couple big zip ties, and tie them around the timing chain and secure it to something in the engine bay when the head is off to keep it from falling down the front cover.
    Good luck!
    Thanks, very helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    Valve seals and valve spring retainers (especially if your production date is pre 10/95).

This is the ecs headgasket kit I ordered: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-elring-p...129067421~elr/
    Funny thing is with the headgasket kit is that there are always o-rings and other bits and bobs that I have no idea where they belong lol
    My build date is 09/95. BUT retainers ain't cheap, and this engine has already spent many miles banging off the rev limiter. I've read, and I know what free info is worth, that most of those retainer failures happen early or not at all. Thoughts?

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW 2001 325i
    Still have the original retainers from my motor, they were replaced replaced ... and BOOM!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rjharker View Post
    still have the original retainers from my motor, they were replaced replaced ... And boom!
    ouch!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Any recommended brand for valve seals? I see 'half sets' between $6 (some off brand) and $60 (BMW).

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    If you buy the head gasket kit, the seals are included.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Duh!!! Thanks.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post

-James
    Hey ECS, if you're listening. I tried to order via your webpage. Ug. Messy. Everytime I added sometning to the cart, it would 'forget' which car I had, and ask me to enter all that info again. Ug. THEN, when finally ready to order, it told me my shopping cart couldn't calculate shipping cost, and gave me no ability to finish purchse. It said to use live chat to get a shipping cost. And of course, not really because live chat was closed.

I went elsewhere.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Started my "ive got questions' thread here:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...3#post29983893

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Update, for the record, I'm at about $1,200 cost for this. I just can't ignore a few major things while I'm in there. Valve job and upgraded S50 valve retainers, are probably the two biggest adders that I didn't HAVE to do. Then, a bunch of little things like the thermostat housing, etc. Oh well, this engine should be good for another ~5 years of track days....hopefully!
    Head is at machine shop. Hopefully get that back early next week.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Don't worry, i won't plant the seed of doing valve springs while you're in there so that just in case you want to do cams later its ready to go and less money shift potential... :-D
    Last edited by TXBDan; 04-05-2018 at 09:46 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Torture!!!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Probably the entire valve train should be replaced every 23 years.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    BASTARD!!!! lol

- - - Updated - - -

PS...yea, if I could find some moderate cams, used for sale, I'd probably do it.

I had a 9/95 engine...bought it used for an e30....in 2009

Had hg creep issues after 1 yr of tracking....

i did retainers......$$$$$$$$

I woulda felt dumb not doing them.....i did 2 v sprgs I did stock oe blts....and elring

RJHarker said he put in new ones and boom?....thats strange

why would u not?.......cash?.......seems penny wise and dollar foolish

all new retainers are upgraded

my head needed a .009 shave
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 04-09-2018 at 01:26 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    I had a 9/95 engine...bought it used for an e30....in 2009

Had hg creep issues after 1 yr of tracking....

i did retainers......$$$$$$$$

I woulda felt dumb not doing them.....i did 2 v sprgs I did stock oe blts....and elring

RJHarker said he put in new ones and boom?....thats strange

why would u not?.......cash?.......seems penny wise and dollar foolish

all new retainers are upgraded

my head needed a .009 shave
    I'm confused. Why would I not what? I'm doing all of: resurfacing, pressure testing, 3angle valve job, and new retainers. Keeping stock cams.

sorry...i skimmed this qwik

I thought u were thinking of NOT doing retainers

btw, I recall the machine shop I used ( well respected) said the s50 head I gave them was born w/ a 3 angle v job. It was std on this head. Not sure if thats true, I think it is as I did some research back then....., but so many folks say, Im getting a 3 angle blah blah as tho its super special.....

jus sayin... its funny

not hating on you
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 04-09-2018 at 01:56 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    All good, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. And, I WAS initially considering not doing retainers. But once I pulled the head, I came to my senses.

The Bently manual shows 3 angles on the valve seats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast