Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Tire Size Questions? I Need help!

My Cars
    325i

Tire Size Questions? I Need help!

I’m pretty new at this so pleease bear with me. So I’m looking at buying 265/40/18 tires for my rear and 225/45/18 for my front(is anyone on this setup? If not why?). The rims I’m getting have a 35 offset in the front and a 40 offset in the rear. I know the rims will fit the tires I’m getting, but i don’t know much about tires and i want them to look good and obviously fit my car. I have a 06 325i sport package. I guess i have multiple questions. Will the rear tires fit my car?
    What is the “40” in 265/40/18?
    And a 40offset in the rear compared to the 35offset in the front what will this look like? Sorry I’m a novice with this stuff.
    My ideal look will be my rims flush with my fenders and my rims not being overflown with tire sidewall. I know that to get my rims flush I’ll have to get spacers. Sorry i know this is long, but responses will be appreciated

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    At the tire rack website, Look up you factory tire sizes in the tire specifications lists for the tires you are looking at. Make sure your new sizes are within 3% of the diameter. That means that when you go wider you go down in aspect ratio to maintain the same diameter.

You can reduce offset with spacers instead of changing the wheel offset. You cannot add offset so don’t make a mistake that compromises your tire choice or worse. If you are playing around with offsets, either do your measurements carefully or find someone who has a combination you like that works and still make sure it will work with your ride height and alignment.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 03-15-2018 at 08:03 AM.

My Cars
    325i
    Gotcha, I’ve decided to move down to 265/35s in the rear, the 40s might have too much sidewall and when i add the spacers I’m pretty sure it will rub the fenders. My stock rims have a +35 offset and they’re pretty deep into the wheel well, +40 will be even further in so spacers will be a must not only for the flush look but i think just to fit.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Bear in mind that tires that are larger diameter (as opposed to reducing aspect ratio to maintain the same diameter when width and or wheel diameter goes up) will affect the speedometer (it will read higher than actual speed), traction control and possibly ABS. Within about 3% of stock there won’t be enough change to matter.

Look at what E90 335i owners do. The E90M3 has different suspension and is flared in front so what people do on them might not work as well for your car. 2 of my 3 BMW have wider wheels and tires and different offsets compared to stock.