RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Peake scantool code 6c

My Cars
    2001 330Ci 2012 X5 3.5

Peake scantool code 6c

I got a CEL so I hooked up the scanner. Peake R5/FCX-3. The return was table 19 code 6c. I checked table 19 but there was no code 6c. I googled it and learned it was likely 'bc' not 6c. Anyway, table 19 code 'bc' is Pre-Cat O2 sensor heater circuit, Cyl 1-3.

Is this a reliable scan tool? The car is running fine, i didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. One minute there was no CEL, the next minute there it was. Would this be a problem with the O2 sensor or maybe just a fuse?

The car is an E46 2001 330Ci. @165000 miles.

Thanks

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    In my experience, any code reader that reads two or three numbers and then asks you to translate from a chart isn't worth a damn.

You're playing guessing games, which pretty much proves the point. ECS Tuning sells a Foxwell scan tool which many forum members speak very highly about. It converses in both directions with ALL the computers.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    EXOTICS

BMW scan-tools

A short list of options IF:

• you're computer savvy - computer,BMW INPA program/software,cable
    • you prefer a smart phone APP - CARLY for BMW APP,adapter,cable
    • you prefer a handheld scan tool - FOXWELL/510 loaded w/BMW software,cable
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 03-14-2018 at 07:07 PM.

My Cars
    09 x3
    with regards to the ECS/foxwell scanner.... I just bought one and it works well. having said that I am not sure of the ECS association with the device. when I communicated with them before purchase I observed that all they were selling was the foxwell scanner that could be bought from foxwell directly for 50 $ less.... the ESC guy said " well... ours has proprietary software in it that allows a great many additional functions " . I said " sounds good to me and I bought it. scanner arrives with the std foxwell operating manual...no documentation for the ECS magic software. so I call back asking for the documentation so I could figure out how to access the magic ESC software... they say " what software ? "

I would buy the scanner all day . its a great tool but I wouldn't buy it from ECS ... buy it from foxwell directly. and it will give you your answer as others have suggested.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I'm surprised that Peake tools are still around and used.
    They were maybe OK 15+ years ago, when there were no other options.

However, they are reliable in reading a simple hex code. It's not a difficult job for that tool. (Even a watch can do that these days)
    I have heard of mistakes in the Peake lookup charts, but more for the airbag tool.

Code BC in hex for MS43 DME is for Lambda Probe Heating Upstream Sensor 1. So yes, your oxygen sensor is dead. Engine will run 'fine', but your gas mileage will tank. Engine will progressively run worse.

There is no 6C code for MS43.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    i agree with abel in that i think these readers are great for older 20 pin BMWs, reading airbag codes, and that most problems stem from user misinterpretation of the chart.

on my 95 - i've found the peake to be a nice tool to throw in the car and have with me on a trip or for a quick read if the CEL comes on. for anything strictly 16 pin - there are better options now. i also use it as a quick device to reset service indicators on the older bmw's.

at 165k you are due for at least one o2 sensor. super easy job...
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by stvsxm View Post
    with regards to the ECS/foxwell scanner.... I just bought one and it works well. having said that I am not sure of the ECS association with the device. when I communicated with them before purchase I observed that all they were selling was the foxwell scanner that could be bought from foxwell directly for 50 $ less.... the ESC guy said " well... ours has proprietary software in it that allows a great many additional functions " . I said " sounds good to me and I bought it. scanner arrives with the std foxwell operating manual...no documentation for the ECS magic software. so I call back asking for the documentation so I could figure out how to access the magic ESC software... they say " what software ? "

I would buy the scanner all day . its a great tool but I wouldn't buy it from ECS ... buy it from foxwell directly. and it will give you your answer as others have suggested.
    one counterpoint to consider here - getting some type of support from ECS due to a bad or failing unit etc. is anticipated to be much easier than dealing with foxwell directly. for me, at least, that was worth a bit extra (not $50, they were on sale when i purchased).

i've noticed a few quirks in my use with the nt510 - however, it's still a bargain for the price.

My Cars
    09 x3
    well...you may be right I suppose but judging by the lie they told me in the first place to get me to buy it and the complete absence of " support " when I asked them about it , I wouldn't exactly hang my hat on that expectation. I genuinely feel like they scammed me to get me to buy it. its not the 50 $ you lose that much just thinking about working on one of these cars... its the lack of integrity they demonstrated and the fact that I could never trust anything they say ever again.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    i've bought many parts from them over the years - never had a problem. i'll take my chances with them.

My Cars
    2001 330Ci 2012 X5 3.5
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to go with the Foxwell tool. Then most likely a new O2 sensor or two.

Thanks again

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I'd like to agree with both Steve, and shadowpuck. ECS Tuning will support the products they sell, inasmuch as they will absolutely send you a replacement, or give you a credit for the purchase amount. As for having any actual technicians, NO, they don't./ They have absolutely no idea WTF they're doing. Their diff bushings are wrong, and they don't even know it after you've told them and proven it. Twice, two different cars. Their brake pressure bleeders ("Schwaben") are absolute garbage nonsense crap that last 5 minutes if you're lucky.

"Schwaben" is Chinese crap. So is Foxwell. But you can't send the "Foxwell" labeled unit back to anyone, and get a new one, or a refund. At least with the ECS unit, you've got someone to call, and they will stand behind what they sold.

Now, I'm really hoping that ECS will jump in here, and address the fact that their products have just been called trash, their "tech support" absolute BS, and maybe try to fix that.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I'll have to admit, I'm satisfied with CARLY!!