Thread: E90 paddle shifter upgrade

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i

E90 paddle shifter upgrade

So my question is two part: I have read several posts that indicate different types of paddles, i.e. LCI etc.. Is anyone aware of a post that shows them, how to distinguish them and how they differ from each other (I'm aware that there is more than one question within that range of questions)? Second as my car is a 2006 330i all the data I have collected indicates the paddle-shift mod will only work if I physically pull the shifter over into manual or sport mode, it takes mid to later 2007 models before the paddles will work while the car is in drive. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Charlie Lamar
    Ringgold, GA

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    So I investigated further and realis that the factory paddles for an e90 are SSG. They downshift with the thumb and upshift with fingers and either paddle with do both down and up shift. Some newer paddles can be used that offer different features such as one paddle shifts up and one paddle shifts down, they require a mod to work on an e90 though. Next all reliable sources indicate that the paddles on my 2006 will only work when the console shifter is pulled to the left in sport mode. Which now brings me to my final resolution: While driving if I pull my shifter to the left (In sport mode) does it change shift points? I know that's the position for manual shifting. I will be performing a test at lunch. I will be purchasing a sport steering wheel with paddles and I will document the upgrade.

Charlie Lamar
    Ringgold, GA

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    So I installed the paddle Shifter wheel and all is well. Downshifts with thumb and up shifts with fingers, only works in sport mode. I painted the trim the exterior color of the car and with the nice trim it looks great and performs flawlessly. Very pleased and very straight forward install.
    Steering paddle.jpg

Charlie Lamar
    Ringgold, GA