Thread: CPV valve on bmw e36?

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i

CPV valve on bmw e36?

I noticed an oil leak very similar to the description on this post - http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...=1521007160296. Basically oil leak at back of engine block. Is there a similar valve on a M50B25?

My Cars
    1998 328i
    That thread is about a euro m3 which has a different engine. An oil leak on the backside of the engine block is usually the valve cover gasket which is annoying but typically a slow loss because this oil is not under pressure. It is a common failure as the rubber gasket hardens with age and fortunately it is easy to do. All of the service manuals and DIY's will suggest using a little dab of RTV at the interface of the vanos unit and the head as well as the two half circle cut outs on the back of the head which is probably where your leak is coming from.
    Last edited by gdavid; 03-14-2018 at 03:08 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by gdavid View Post
    That thread is about a euro m3 which has a different engine. An oil leak on the backside of the engine block is usually the valve cover gasket which is annoying but typically a slow loss because this oil is not under pressure. It is a common failure as the rubber gasket hardens with age and fortunately it is easy to do. All of the service manuals and DIY's will suggest using a little dab of RTV at the interface of the vanos unit and the head as well as the two half circle cut outs on the back of the head which is probably where your leak is coming from.
    That is annoying. I just had my valve cover gaskets done maybe 2000 miles ago, along with new spark plugs, possibility of a misinstall there and have had intake manifold removed to replace heater hoses and plastic pieces so possibly rearrangement. Since you mentioned the vanos, is that a possible source, where it connects underneath the manifold? My vanos line up front does have residue around it, evidence seeping oil. However, this line is pressured unlike the valve cover you mentioned (edit: doing more research and saw that the vanos line connects to the oil filter housing, doesnt seem to be correct source of leak)
    Last edited by cbayles01; 03-14-2018 at 05:41 PM.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by cbayles01 View Post
    That is annoying. I just had my valve cover gaskets done maybe 2000 miles ago, along with new spark plugs, possibility of a misinstall there and have had intake manifold removed to replace heater hoses and plastic pieces so possibly rearrangement. Since you mentioned the vanos, is that a possible source, where it connects underneath the manifold? My vanos line up front does have residue around it, evidence seeping oil. However, this line is pressured unlike the valve cover you mentioned (edit: doing more research and saw that the vanos line connects to the oil filter housing, doesnt seem to be correct source of leak)
    If the leak is on the front of the block under the intake it could be the oil filter housing gasket. More prominent on the m54 motors along with valve cover gaskets. I've done both and had good luck with a Rein gasket on my m52 and used a Genuine BMW on my m54 and had a leak into #3 spark plug well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    If the leak is on the front of the block under the intake it could be the oil filter housing gasket. More prominent on the m54 motors along with valve cover gaskets. I've done both and had good luck with a Rein gasket on my m52 and used a Genuine BMW on my m54 and had a leak into #3 spark plug well.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Oil escapes a number of routes on any most any engine of this age. Valve cover is common and I assumed it was old but it could be a bad install or something completely different. The best way to track it down is a dirty job, getting under the car and going at it with degreaser and scrub brushed so it is clean enough to track the leak. If is really at the back of the block and not just oil migrating to the back of the oil pan, there aren't many possible sources; valve cover gasket, head gasket (unlikely because the pressurized passage is between cylinders 3 & 4), the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket. The rear main seal is probable the worst of the engine's gaskets to replace because the transmission and flywheel (or flex plate) need to be removed. Oil pan is probably the second worse because the subrame needs to be lowered or the engine lifted out (or nearly out).

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i

Nope its definitely at the back of the block. Theres a new oil filter housing gasket on it, replaced last year this time. Im really hoping that its just a mis-install. I drove it today and didnt spot any oil at all on the ground. That leads me to believe misinstall. Yesterdays leak was after it had been siting for about 3 or 4 days and only on engine startup. The vanos line is seems very suspect to me. If it has an apparent leak in the front, I would guess the other side is leaking but how much I dont know, will check in the morning

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by gdavid View Post
    Oil escapes a number of routes on any most any engine of this age. Valve cover is common and I assumed it was old but it could be a bad install or something completely different. The best way to track it down is a dirty job, getting under the car and going at it with degreaser and scrub brushed so it is clean enough to track the leak. If is really at the back of the block and not just oil migrating to the back of the oil pan, there aren't many possible sources; valve cover gasket, head gasket (unlikely because the pressurized passage is between cylinders 3 & 4), the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket. The rear main seal is probable the worst of the engine's gaskets to replace because the transmission and flywheel (or flex plate) need to be removed. Oil pan is probably the second worse because the subrame needs to be lowered or the engine lifted out (or nearly out).
    Yeah youre right to assume that. In my area, theres only really bad e36s on their last leg. I honestly dont get how so many of these cars are driven into the ground. Its rare to see one thats actually nice nowadays. Ive got the engine swapped on this one with a 80k engine, has to be around 100k now, so definitely not head gasket, havent let it overheat at all. I doubt its the rear main seal, had the transmission rebuilt on my last engine and the seal was replaced then, maybe 5 years ago. Oil pan seems like a lot of work, hope its not that.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by cbayles01 View Post
    Yeah youre right to assume that. In my area, theres only really bad e36s on their last leg. I honestly dont get how so many of these cars are driven into the ground. Its rare to see one thats actually nice nowadays. Ive got the engine swapped on this one with a 80k engine, has to be around 100k now, so definitely not head gasket, havent let it overheat at all. I doubt its the rear main seal, had the transmission rebuilt on my last engine and the seal was replaced then, maybe 5 years ago. Oil pan seems like a lot of work, hope its not that.
    Oil pan is a moderate amount of work. And make sure to use proper torque specs if you do the job. I have a really slow leak at the front of my oil pan, where the timing cover mates to the block. Someone over torqued the oil pan bolts to the timing cover and stripped out 2 of them

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    Oil pan is a moderate amount of work. And make sure to use proper torque specs if you do the job. I have a really slow leak at the front of my oil pan, where the timing cover mates to the block. Someone over torqued the oil pan bolts to the timing cover and stripped out 2 of them

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the recommendation. Been monitoring and still have nice oil level and no oil dripping or on the ground. Ill keep monitoring though. This weather is affecting the car pretty good, constantly changing between hot and cold here in Florida

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Cold in Fla?

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Cold in Fla?

Ha not even close to that cold. Its 30 more degrees here lately, 80s/ low 90s.

For the update, no dripping since. Even took it on the highway for around 150 miles and then back and still staying dry