Thread: Rebuilt master cylinder does not have residual pressue valve...okay to use?

My Cars
    85 325e

Rebuilt master cylinder does not have residual pressue valve...okay to use?

I am overhauling the brakes on my 82 320i. I ordered a Cardone master cylinder from Rockauto, and the one the shipped does not have a residual pressure valve, and the port where the valve would go is too small (it is sized to fit the brake hard line fitting).

Is it okay to run without this valve? Here is a picture:

IMG_20180314_123217.jpg

My Cars
    85 325e
    Well I'm done with those clowns at Rockauto. Not only was the master cylinder defective (one of the ports would not allow me to thread the hard line fitting into it...and I verified that it would thread as it threaded into the residual pressure valve), but they shipped me the wrong rotors - for an E30. Then they have the gall to tell me that I have to pay $17 for the pleasure to ship this wrong part back to them. Plus no real people to talk to on the phone...I guess you get what you pay for.

I'll stick with FCP and others. They are less than stellar, but at least the parts fit/work!

/rant

My Cars
    1982 320i
    I remember thinking how great Rockauto was until I ordered control arms (not for the 320) and the threaded holes for the sway bar weren't even tapped. Not only that but the metal where the threads were supposed to go was only thick enough for like 3 threads. I got to pay for the return shipping and a more expensive set of control arms only to find out that those holes also weren't threaded. I also had a power steering pump fail really prematurely (less than 6 mos after install) but I may have contributed to that. I keep reminding myself that you get what you pay for and use them like I use Harbor freight. To be fair I did get in contact with them (they do have cust service reps) and they offered to cover the labor to tap the threads but I didn't bother, just did them myself. I just thought that that was more than the average person would be prepared to deal with when just buying a part.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    That's too bad. I was poking around and it looks like the one with the reservoir is probably the correct one (having a new valve already installed). I forget the purpose of the valve! so I don't know the effect of not using the valve
    Tbd

My Cars
    81 C1, 89 ix, 04 M3
    Rock Auto is good for oil filters and wiper blades....OEM/FCP for everything else.

My Cars
    85 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    That's too bad. I was poking around and it looks like the one with the reservoir is probably the correct one (having a new valve already installed). I forget the purpose of the valve! so I don't know the effect of not using the valve
    Well the FTE brand from FCP Euro didn't have the valve either, but is brand new at $130. AutohausAZ had the same one, so fingers crossed it works. Got my ATE rotors from AutohausAZ (and they have the protective paint coating...a bonus). Guess I'll give the E30 Pagid rotors to my buddy.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by mossyoaks View Post
    Rock Auto is good for oil filters and wiper blades....OEM/FCP for everything else.
    I'd imagine it can be a hit or miss for some folks. I've been using them for years, for many many different vehicles without a hitch, except for one seal, years ago (wrong car!) - they told me to just keep it and then sent me the correct seal. Usually many brands to choose from.
    Tbd

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    I'd imagine it can be a hit or miss for some folks. I've been using them for years, for many many different vehicles without a hitch, except for one seal, years ago (wrong car!) - they told me to just keep it and then sent me the correct seal. Usually many brands to choose from.
    I'm telling you guys it ain't the companies it's the parts. Have to really pay attention to what your ordering these days. Brands of parts to be exact. Cardone is complete garbage. I've also had FTE parts fail early and have incorrect threads on brake masters for an E30. Sucks to say but I've switched to CENTRIC brand for all brake parts, cylinders, rotors, and hydraulics. NO more issues. If Centric is truly Chinese at least they care to dominate the market with correct and well made parts. Some parts are completely new tooled and not a reman. Maybe the give a Sh!t just isn't there with other manufacturers anymore.

Cardone rant I've had three calipers fail premature on my E30. Two rears and a front. On our other daily (the lady's) she had brake issues with her E30. Turned out it was frozen calipers even though they were only a year old. Just terrible.

Rockauto is fine, they are cheap, you just need to order Centric when it comes to brakes and they have great Centric prices. All other places are the same since they all redistribute worldpac parts. It's just a price structure to who has the thinnest margins of profit.

If going for control arms Lemforder only especially E30 and above cause not always available for E21. FCP is awesome but prices are proud. Best thing is the lifetime warranty on returns. We've tested that for racing and yup they do take back 1 weekend old brake rotors when you smoke a whole set doing 24hr races lol.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    Running the FTE master in my e21, no pressure valve. The master I took off the car did not have one.

^ part number for the pressure valve, possibility new version is threaded.

Looks like 2 versions of the valve.

Here is the second - 34311121798

ECS tuning might have one.
    Last edited by m60b30530i; 03-16-2018 at 06:21 AM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Here is the Cardone 13-2293 I'm running and it comes with the residual valve,,$50 or so inc shipping,,all new not remanned. Fits: A1 Cardone Brake Master Cylinder New 325 E21 3 Series BMW 320i E30 13-2293 . E bay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A1-Cardone-...pZbIkX&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

Your all Welcome, no issues, works great. Cardone is the best in these with brand new reservoir and cap and residual valve, ect.

If you want to rebuild your Ate here is my thread on doing this.. I have a rebuilt Ate as well.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...aster-Cylinder

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 03-16-2018 at 11:03 AM.

My Cars
    85 325e
    What actually does the residual valve do, and why do some ship with the valve, and some not? I don't believe the m/c I took of the car is the original m/c. The Genuine BMW m/c on Bav Auto does not show a residual valve for my model year (82). Didn't feel like dishing out $371.80 for that piece.

My concern with Cardone is that I actually purchased the other version that Rock Auto stocked, albeit it didn't have the reservoir cap and was slightly more expensive. It would not thread in one of the ports, no matter how I tried. So I'm sending it back.

My Cars
    1981 320i silver
    It looks like the residual pressure valve serves the rear brake part of the circuit only, is that correct?

What is the residual pressure valve?
    A residual valve acts like a one-way or check valve to maintain brake system pressure to eliminate the problems of a spongy pedal. This 2 PSI residual valve is installed inline between the master cylinder and disc brake calipers to keep 2 PSI of residual pressure at the caliper after the brake pedal is released.
    Four Things to Know About Brake Valves - Master Power Brakes
    https://techtalk.mpbrakes.com/how-to...t-brake-valves
    Nov 12, 2012 - Residual valves are used to maintain constant pressure on the brake system. For drum brakes, a 10 lb. residual valve is used to hold pressure against the springs in the drum. This allows the drum brake to engage more quickly and reduces pedal travel. For an under-the-floor master cylinder brake system, ...
    Last edited by okieflats; 03-16-2018 at 09:46 PM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by okieflats View Post
    It looks like the residual pressure valve serves the rear brake part of the circuit only, is that correct?

What is the residual pressure valve?
    A residual valve acts like a one-way or check valve to maintain brake system pressure to eliminate the problems of a spongy pedal. This 2 PSI residual valve is installed inline between the master cylinder and disc brake calipers to keep 2 PSI of residual pressure at the caliper after the brake pedal is released.
    Four Things to Know About Brake Valves - Master Power Brakes
    https://techtalk.mpbrakes.com/how-to...t-brake-valves
    Nov 12, 2012 - Residual valves are used to maintain constant pressure on the brake system. For drum brakes, a 10 lb. residual valve is used to hold pressure against the springs in the drum. This allows the drum brake to engage more quickly and reduces pedal travel. For an under-the-floor master cylinder brake system, ...
    Thanks Okie for digging that up and Yes rear brake circuit. In our case it keeps pressure up in the proportioning valve , which keeps pressure equal in the front and back brake circuits so the back brakes don't lock up first and get the car tail happy, I bought and installed a new Ate proportioning valve a while back, it came out of Italy.

s-l500.jpg

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 03-17-2018 at 10:03 AM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    There's plenty of good bmw sources for parts online, like fcp euro. Why would you buy it from rock auto, geez.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Probably to save a few bucks here and there.

Randy