Thread: What does a budget turbo setup involve

My Cars
    One Too Many

What does a budget turbo setup involve

Hello Fellas, No no, I am not switching to a turbo, I want to learn more about the subject of Turbos in BMW's, More specifically whats involved if per say a newbie wanted to do a build once they have the Turbo, Tune and Manifold Sorted, What else is the Hassle? The biggest issues for a lot of folks seems to be pipe work that is custom, and not often premade on the cheap. I am trying to gauge interest on a budget turbo kit per say, where I could use my resources to offer everyone some kinda solution that makes life easier.

Top Mounts, Bottom Mounts, Tell me all.

Flame Suit On.*

Last edited by MisterM52; 03-14-2018 at 08:52 AM.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I’d get your supercharger kit done first. You still don’t have a properly tuned example, verified by a complete dyno run.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Perhaps he is taking butters advice to heart and switching platforms?? I was interested in that supercharger kit, but you have to source too many of your own parts. The point of a kit in my mind is to not have to shop around for anything else.

So that being said, a cheap turbo kit would have to be complete and also be cheap. The only way you could do it cheap is to do all your own fab work, or use cheaper components.

Take a look at the cxracing kits on ebay. The biggest complaints i see about them are the turbo and manifold. If you essentially built that kit with a better manifold that was guaranteed to fit. And a turbo that lasted more than 10k miles. That sounds like a cheap winner

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    I'm going to spend 10 hours and type up how to properly build an E36 turbo for 400-575 whp for reliability and budget in mind. At the end of the post, I will have a donation button with my PayPal address.
    It will even include how to have awesome Frisbee skills and how to make horses like you. It will be a tell all no F's given.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You will have to return your hush money to Stormy.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    You will have to return your hush money to Stormy.
    I know a good lawyer .

1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    M3
    Pipings easy, I did mine with a hacksaw and masking tape...then bring it to your local yahoo welder and tell him to match it up to where you put your marks. Biggest hurdle for any N/a to turbo car would be tuning. No easy way around it. Most standalones are 1k+ doenst include injectors. On e36 platform manifolds can be tricky but plenty of options. I hate to say it and be one of "those" guys but don't go in planning 1k and i'll have it running like a champ. You won't, which is fine because horsepower cost money!

You could maybe get one up for about 2k but that includes junkyard turbos and sketchy parts, which may work fine for a bit.
    Last edited by Mklock; 03-14-2018 at 02:06 PM.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    My limited experience, i can say

is got a spindle in there that goes whoosh, whoosh, back tire go BOOM BOOM. Kind of like superchar kit but different

you get the point

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    Pipings easy, I did mine with a hacksaw and masking tape...then bring it to your local yahoo welder and tell him to match it up to where you put your marks. Biggest hurdle for any N/a to turbo car would be tuning. No easy way around it. Most standalones are 1k+ doenst include injectors. On e36 platform manifolds can be tricky but plenty of options. I hate to say it and be one of "those" guys but don't go in planning 1k and i'll have it running like a champ. You won't, which is fine because horsepower cost money!

You could maybe get one up for about 2k but that includes junkyard turbos and sketchy parts, which may work fine for a bit.
    Does anyone actually use a yard turbos for their setups?? Whats the commonly used one, What I am trying to figure is if there are some half decent quality options folks could use, as in already a good manifold, a turbo be it new or secondhand or a yard one, then I rather not reinvent the wheel and just provide a bridge that allows them to put 2 and 2 togather easily and efficiently, something affordable? Most people dont want to hassle with pipe work and we aren't tuners (know plenty but we aren't ourselves). So what is there I can give to people, make their Turbo life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I’d get your supercharger kit done first. You still don’t have a properly tuned example, verified by a complete dyno run.
    Keith is Building the Stroker Motor, We will have things this year, the weld work is sent to a professional factory now just like the brackets. That and the Kits being featured on April 2018 Issue of Ultimate Kit Car Magazine and going to Stonleigh National Kit Car Show, DMO Sports Car is using it.

Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    Perhaps he is taking butters advice to heart and switching platforms?? I was interested in that supercharger kit, but you have to source too many of your own parts. The point of a kit in my mind is to not have to shop around for anything else.

So that being said, a cheap turbo kit would have to be complete and also be cheap. The only way you could do it cheap is to do all your own fab work, or use cheaper components.

Take a look at the cxracing kits on ebay. The biggest complaints i see about them are the turbo and manifold. If you essentially built that kit with a better manifold that was guaranteed to fit. And a turbo that lasted more than 10k miles. That sounds like a cheap winner

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Yes I am, took it to heart when he mentioned it. I mean why not help more people.
    But the Turbo setups will be an extension of the platform. I pretty much now source out all the main parts and so the blowers wont ever be discarded.

Just give me your inputs guys, whats what..throw it all in, throw your ideas and what have you.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    I'm going to spend 10 hours and type up how to properly build an E36 turbo for 400-575 whp for reliability and budget in mind. At the end of the post, I will have a donation button with my PayPal address.
    It will even include how to have awesome Frisbee skills and how to make horses like you. It will be a tell all no F's given.

Last edited by MisterM52; 03-14-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    yes
    I think a major hurdle might just be the variations that are possible. You may be able to supply piping and an intercooler for X turbo on Y manifold, but you'll always have someone who wants to run a different turbo or they have a cheap wastegate they want to run that doesn't fit. Power goals are obviously a big factor when developing any turbosystem. I think a number of people have very unrealistic expectations from a car (40 psi at 1500 RPM, rev to 9k, and make 2000hp, etc). On top of that, they want it to run on regular and for it all to cost $12. Point is, you really need to set a goal, select a turbo and a source with uniform fitment (same inlet/outlet, etc.) and work based on that.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post

I'd donate for that kind of info in one post

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Just make sure you write it elsewhere and then copy it into a post so it does not get lost if you have phone or computer issues.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    He could write a manual with pictures and parts with prices and everything and mail it out to people. that would be kind of cool, but allot of work

My Cars
    E36 2JZ
    I agree with VWMikel. State your power goals first. Clearly you don't want to spend a ton but more info is needed. Older parts can work, just know reliability could be lower