Thread: 525i brakes in australia

My Cars
    some

525i brakes in australia

I need to do all my brakes and lines and I'm going to start with the rears. Here in australia standard rotors are usually made buy RDA, DBA and protex and they're about $120-180pr. Due to their weight there's no point importing any brand personally from UK/europe/USA
    I did find a euro shop though and they have zimmerman brand rotors for $105, so bargain - sold. I'm getting them

Now pads; I can get them anywhere (ebay, pelican, fcp. bav auto, UK etc) so I'm wondering what to get. The local shop selling the zimmerman rotors are selling zimmerman pads for $45. On ebay I've seen genuine bmw pads for $50. And of course if I buy from the USA I can get any brand, like ate akebono, textar etc for around $70+ (all these names are new to me but I learnt about them here because I did search first)

What to get for zimmerman rotors, stock standard rotors and they're only rear brakes but I would like some less dustier pads that what's on there now.

E: I don't mind buying anything overseas just rotors are a no go. I've been eyeing a brake line kit and I need some odds and ends I'll probably pick up from either pelican, bavauto or fcp anyway. Every time I go to a local dealer here they say no parts in stock for this old car and everything is 3 week freight order from germany anyway.
    Last edited by fo3; 03-14-2018 at 02:12 AM.

My Cars
    95 525TDS, 94 525iT
    Just get ATE brakes from HSY if you are down in Melbourne - otherwise I'm sure they can ship. They are the Australian distributors and ATE is an OEM manufacturer so quality is great.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Probably he cannot buy there directly, their website http://hsy.com.au/ says: please note that it is our policy to supply the Automotive Wholesale and Trade industry only.We do not sell direct to the public and do not have retail sales facilities at our branches.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    95 525TDS, 94 525iT
    If the OP is in Melbourne - PM me and I can get a price for you from HSY.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    OE pads (Pagid, Jurid) are frighteningly dusty by modern standards. I had TRW pads for E31 calipers and they too were dirty. I used Akebono ceramic twice, and both times were the same - little dust, silent, but the braking is very weak unless they're warmed up. I hated them. Have had Wagner for a few weeks now, and my initial impression is that they're somewhat cleaner, while still being semi-metallic like OE, cheap, and US-made. No noise and work fine, likely not my choice for track use.
    Last edited by moroza; 03-16-2018 at 12:38 AM.

My Cars
    some
    Quote Originally Posted by t.wak View Post
    If the OP is in Melbourne - PM me and I can get a price for you from HSY.
    Sorry, I'm on the west coast.
    Had similar problems looking up other brands while researching before I posted, eg akebono only sold through pedders, no retail here
    Whatever is on it right now sucks, probably because the same reason - hard to get choice, variety and quality due to this 'no direct sales' many manufacturers have. So there's a limited choice on what the previous owner could have fitted if they DIY'ed from whatever they could actually buy locally.

This 525 is never going near a track moroza. Way too heavy for it's torque and power. I'll look into wagner next time I make a US order. E: might be a couple of weeks so come back and tell me if you have reconsidered them.
    Last edited by fo3; 03-16-2018 at 03:48 PM.