Thread: e46 for first car?

My Cars
    329 Nothing i

e46 for first car?

Hey! I'm 16 and looking for a first car. I've been interested in the e46 but I'm wondering how maintenance is with costs and ability to do some common things myself. I found a guy in my area selling his 2002 325ci with 200k miles in pretty nice physical condition besides a couple things. He said he'd take $900 cash for it.

So it would be good to see what other people with more experience has to say about this before I jump the gun

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    A $900 E46 is the perfect first car for someone who has a lot of cash and time and no friends. But in all seriousness, cost depends on the level of neglect you're willing to live with.

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by garywinthorpe View Post
    Hey! I'm 16 and looking for a first car. I've been interested in the e46 but I'm wondering how maintenance is with costs and ability to do some common things myself. I found a guy in my area selling his 2002 325ci with 200k miles in pretty nice physical condition besides a couple things. He said he'd take $900 cash for it.

So it would be good to see what other people with more experience has to say about this before I jump the gun
    I will offer my opinion to you from a dad's point of view.

When my son bought his 2000 323i, I knew it would take maintenance that my son would not be able to afford but because I am handy and was willing to help him financially, we got it anyway. I thought it would be good for him to learn to work on cars with this vehicle but it turns out he has very little interest or motivation to keep it up. I have wound up working on it, which I enjoy, lucky for him or he would have been carless a long time ago. I happen to own lots of tools, jacks... and a garage where I can comfortably work on vehicles. If you do not have tools, space, spending money and maybe a helping hand then you may find it challenging to keep it on the road. I would bet that the $900 car will require at least that much in parts some time very soon. If you are up to the challenge to take care of it and can afford it then it may be a good deal, considering nothing "major" is really wrong with it.

On another note, there are no great cars available for $900 regardless of brand. They all will require time, money and effort to keep alive. One benefit to getting a bmw with high mileage and that needs work is that most shops are way overpriced on repairs and will take advantage of you. The owner of this car may have something wrong with it that may only require $50 in parts and a day or two of work to keep it going, but he may have been quoted $1000+ to get the job done, so he may be dumping it.

If you have a reliable mechanic that you trust you may want to take it to them and get their list of what it needs.

You should also Google "The 50's Kid" YouTube channel (and others) to see what it takes to fix the common problems that the $900 car is sure to have. This will help you determine if you are up for the job, it will be a commitment, but you are capable.

Good luck.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet

An 18-year old E46 in upstate New York is likely a rust bucket that likely will not pass an inspection.

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i

If you are a total gearhead with a lot of knowledge about cars, preferably BMWs, are good at troubleshooting electronics, have lots of tools and a warm, dry place to work, disposable income to be spent on parts, and can do without the car as a daily driver while you are diagnosing it and waiting for the parts to arrive, then go for it. The E46 is a complex car with a lot of electronics; even the newest of them is starting to get long in the tooth and many of the plastic and rubber parts are bound to be on their way out; and the engines are all-aluminum and have zero tolerance for cooling system failure, which can happen quickly and massively.

If you do take the plunge, be prepared to double your investment in it immediately by doing a complete cooling system overhaul, if it has not been done already; otherwise you're living on borrowed time.

I've owned BMWs for all of my adult life; supported myself through college as a European car mechanic, and have a stable of six BMWs ranging from an E30 to two E46s, including an E34 M5 and an E36 M3. I can tell you that the E46s are the least reliable and most finicky of the bunch, and if they weren't so nice to drive when they are working well, I'd dump both of them.

Sorry to be so blunt about it, but I'm suggesting you be very careful if you decide to go this route.

My Cars
    2012 328i, X5 1994 325iC
    Jackson... right on the nose. e46 is the most troublesome 3 series Ive ever had, heard about or worked on. 900 bucks??? Count on that being what you spend per week until you get some maintenance done.

My Cars
    2001 330ci convertatble
    I totally agree. I have a 2001 330Ci convertible that I bought to restore. I knew ahead of time about the cost and expected it. I am not a mechanic, so I am basically putting my mechanic's son through college. Anyway, I am almost done with the mechanical restoration (basically everything under the hood and suspension). I bought it at good market value and in good running condition for $5,600. I'm into it for $12,000 plus or minus now. Next comes the full custom interior and then the M3 style front bumper and full paint. My budget for my baby is about $25K, so actually I'm not doing that bad.

I don't think my E46 was ever built to be like the average Toyota or Honda economy car that can run for 300K+. After all they were built to be a fun sports car for those who could afford them. They do make for a great "money pit" hobby though (after all everyone should have at least one).

To expect more out of them than that is.....unrealistic.

Just for fun I put a $3k sony/kicker sound system in it. I use it as an every day driver. I know that I should park it and get a Honda/Toyota or something like that, someday I might. But for now I just can't help but drive it!

Mine is for fun and hobby, and besides I'm no longer married so I don't have a wife to gripe at me about the cost...lol.

As far as an older E46 as a first time car......NO....bad idea.

Depending on your budget, get a Toyota, Honda, or any other sensible car that was built for transportation and longevity.

BTW smart guy to consult the forum before buying!!

Good luck

My Cars
    2001 330ci convertatble
    I totally agree with the other posts.
    However I will say this…..I bought a 2001 330Ci convertible to restore. I bought it knowing these little buggers were expensive. I purchased it at good market value and in good running condition for $5,600. I am almost done with the mechanical restoration, basically everything under the hood and the entire suspension. I’m into it for about $12,000 plus or minus now. My overall budget is $25,000. So actually, I’m not doing too bad. Next comes the custom interior. After that is the M3 style front bumper and a full paint job.

I absolutely love driving this car. So much that I put a $3K Sony/Kicker sound system in it. I use it as an everyday driver. I know I should park it and get a Honda/Toyota or something like that, but I can’t help but drive this car, it’s awesome!

Obviously, I will never sell this car, hell they may bury me in it…lol. In my opinion, that’s about all the car is worth. It’s a fun “money pit” and hobby. To expect more out it than that I think is unrealistic. After all they were built to be a fun car, that's about it.

As far as a first-time car, in my opinion, absolutely NOT. Go buy a good old Toyota or Honda or something. Wait until your kids are grown and out of college. Then when you are looking for some place to spend your extra money and want to drive a really cool German car……have fun!
    Last edited by aw609eng; 04-01-2018 at 04:29 PM.

My Cars
    2001 330ci convertatble
    One more thing BTW.....you are wise beyond your years for checking this forum.